Sherman Tig (Jasic in disguise?)

1. Gopherit New Member

I'm a new owner of a Shreman 206p. Liking it a lot thus far - only previous experience of TIG and aluminium was a local class about 8 years ago andgot very little TIG time.
    Thus far I have used without the foot pedal but began to feel I was getting too many amps towards the end of a run so tried the pedal. Can someone knowledgeable tell me what the pot on the side of the Sherman pedal controls? In my naivety I thought that once the max amps were set on the Sherman the pedal gave full whack when fully depressed and amps decreased as one backed of the pedal. The pot confuses me as can't see what it does!

Also, in passing, the pedal seems to be pretty on/off - how have others found it?

2. Richiew Forum Supporter

Have you put the machine in pedal mode? Otherwise it acts just like a switch. (Apologies if you have). To put it in pedal mode mode you hold the pedal down for five seconds until the machine beeps and the remote pedal light comes on the machine display. Take care where the torch is point otherwise it might arc up. I am only mentioning this as I was daft enough to get it wrong when I first tried with the pedal.

When I use the pedal on my machine I set the pedal pot to max and then set my maximum amperage on the machine. It make the side pot on the pedal redundant which I think it is anyway. Once it is set up it works fine IME.

3. Gopherit New Member

Thanks Richlew, that is really helpful and explains the result i was getting. Will try out tomorrow!

4. choco

choco Member

ireland
    What's the torch connector size on these again, it's somewhere in this thread but it's 83 pages long

5. Richiew Forum Supporter

6. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

What are you meaning by torch connector size?
    If the dinse socket then it is 35/50, if it is the gas hose thread then 10 x 1 rings a bell.

Ruffian likes this.
  7. Richiew Forum Supporter

Sorry I was talking rubbish, ignore my post. Got too many welders on the brain.

8. choco

choco Member

ireland
    Yep dinse socket , thanks

9. Altintas Member

Ready to weld

• IMG_20201115_175844.jpg
    • IMG_20201115_175918.jpg
    T689, AdamS and Hood like this.
  10. AdamS Member

Hi everyone! My first foray into welding...

After lots of reading and watching YouTube videos, finding this thread, thinking about this machine, being swayed to another machine... then being recommended this machine by @daedalusminos and @Ruffian and swaying back to it again, I decided to go for it! Sherman 206P ordered last night from weldes along with some other bits and bobs from various places.

I've also ordered:
    • Sealey TIG200HFACDCF pedal + reverse XS12-5 connector from weldes to put on it (handy that they are reading this thread and started stocking commonly needed items, saves us waiting for China post!)
    • 10x 2.4 mm Tungstens (dare I mention the colour for fear of starting a fight?!)
    • CK Worldwide CK17 Flex head torch
    • Grounded Schuko to UK 3-pin plug adaptor (temporary -- I won't be pushing that many amps for now)
    For the torch I was thinking of something like https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-torch-35-50-adaptor-3-8bsp-quick-release/ and then using a M10 to quick fit adaptor on the machine, but I can't seem to find any M10 to quick fit adaptors and I'm not sure what the dimensions of that quick fit plug are. Can anyone please recommend a tried and tested method here? Loving the look of @Altintas 's modded machine in the post above this one and the connector used, but I'd prefer not to mod my machine while it's in warranty with weldes. In a couple of years that looks like the neatest way to do it for sure!

Other than that I just need a regulator and flow meter right?

Cheers!

11. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

AdamS likes this.
  12. DavidL

DavidL Forum Supporter

Like @Munkul says, those kits are useful. They usually have what you need (though the r tech ones probably not given the description)

I did put together a links page (much, much!) earlier in the thread but some of these may now be dead.

They're available cheaper if you're prepared to wait.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W416TPC/
    Getting the Chinese ones is probably best as they're pretty certain to have the M10 swivel in, as suggested above, they tend to be a Chinese thing.

Every one of the kits as above that I've had* has come with an M10 swivel for the welder. * Except one where it wasn't as described and came with some torch end fittings that looked to either need crimping or brazing.

AdamS likes this.
  13. AdamS Member

Thanks @Munkul and @DavidL . I'm hoping to find a solution that can be delivered a bit quicker as I think the machine will be here this week or next! The CK torch has a 3/8" BSP connection but the adaptor I linked is 3/8" BSP on the gas hose so it would need 3/8" to M10x1mm to connect to the welder. I can't find any of those DINSE adaptors with M10x1 already on the gas hose like the one you linked, shipping from closer to home, but I'm in contact with a UK-based fittings supplier on eBay so hopefully they'll set me up with a 3/8 BSP to M10x1 adaptor for now so I don't have to wait around too long!

Is the argon inlet on the back also a strange fitting? I'm trying to get everything I need prepared in time for the machine arriving

14. daedalusminos Member

A quick release fitting with hose tail for the gas inlet is supplied with the welder.

AdamS likes this.
  15. AdamS Member

Great, thanks! I've been pawing through the thread and have saved lots of the useful pages but I missed that one!

16. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Oh I see now.

The machine will come with a torch already, right? Just chop the gas hose off that?

Here's one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qingn-Bras...921&replacementKeywords=hose+barb&sr=8-8&th=1

AdamS likes this.
  17. DavidL

DavidL Forum Supporter

AdamS likes this.
  18. daedalusminos Member

You will need the hose and connector from regulator though

AdamS likes this.
  19. AdamS Member

:laughing: I'm a bit averse to chopping new toys up, but that's a good idea. I think I'll leave the packaged torch intact and chop the DINSE adaptor line barb off instead and replace it with an M10 swivel barb instead of getting a 3/8" to M10 adaptor

Thanks, this looks perfect and will arrive in time too :clapping:

20. Altintas Member

Amps Control on torch works only by Welding

Advertisements