Project #3...Oh no, not another Nissan Figaro!!!!!!

1. atomant48

atomant48 Forum Supporter

agree - they work well but they can have a terribly short lifespan at 6 quid. And you always end up with a bit that you can’t use so really only get 4 quids worth!

I was looking at the metal blaster tools but again they are not cheap.

Dcal and Pigeon_Droppings2 like this.
  2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I've tried lots of ways...heat gun on filler/underseal and then wire brush works for me. It isn't fast but gets me there. That passenger side rear quarter took about 2 hrs in total. The heat gun I prefer is a low power one which is a bit lighter.

I didn't get on with the black stripping discs.....problem with them is if you try to "power through" a rusty area it eats the disc pretty quick.

The wire brushes will trash your drill but I have a rubbish drill that I use to death...you can get the gearbox for my Dewalt so it's ideal for the job....and their gears are metal so last a fair while.

3. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Make one.
    You can buy a cheap polisher and the metal blaster brush holder and the accelerator. The the rest is pretty easy if you have access to a lathe.
    The wire brushes are expensive but come up cheaper on eBay if you keep a look out.
    Don't make the brush holder and bar, like I did, unless you are a machinist or like a challenge.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/stuff-you-have-made-today.67127/page-638#post-1679732

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I really like that Dcal....thats the tool I was going to buy but they are crazy expensive. It would be very handy for doing the underside....last time that was a nightmare but this time round I have a new plan (to be revealed)

Problem with a grinder is the power it has...for "close quarters" fighting the drill is definitely safer. I've caught my clothes in the drill a few times but it doesn't have the torque to do any real damage thankfully.

5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I faffed about today...won't know what I'm getting from the breaker so it's hard to know what needs cleaning up.

This area was rotten on the last car...the two plates aren't used on the Figaro (maybe on the Micra which shares the same chassis).

Sure enough it was rotten...even has the same rust hole in the chassis too. It looks like surface rust...it isn't...basically 5mm of compacted rust...must me a moisture trap inside the chassis rail and it blows outwards and erupts (alien style).

I wonder how many people see it....give it a quick wire wheel and paint over it....if you hit it with a hammer and screwdriver it disintegrates!

• IMG_20201020_165640157.jpg
    • IMG_20201020_171028376.jpg
  6. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

If it’s not used get it out and delete it.

7. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    hear, hear!

JP

ps, I looked it up: If you want to voice your agreement with someone during a debate (especially if you're a member of the UK Parliament), you will shout “hear, hear.” But as long as you're shouting, no one will notice you're wrong if you shout “here, here” because the words are pronounced the same.

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Couldn't agree more on both accounts so "hear hear" from me too....I deleted it on the last project too so this one is also going in the bin.

I didn't manage my road trip today so no news on getting a back end for the repair....bit frustrating as it will hold me up because I need to know what I'm keeping from the existing back end so I know what to clean....

The other good news is my back pain finally seems to be improving.....bit odd because I woke up 3 days ago and one leg was really giving me gyp (I could barely walk)....but roll on a few days and most of my pain has gone which is incredible (been about 3 months!)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    funny how that works with recovery....somehow, it gets better, then no improvement for a while, then you think you are going backwards, then a big improvement!

glad to hear you are making progress

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements