Project #3...Oh no, not another Nissan Figaro!!!!!!

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

All I seem to do is soak parts in citric acid, clean and paint.

Alternator bracket came out well...wish I had a small blast cabinet but we can only use what we have....spent an age with the wire wheel getting that bracket cleaned but just couldn't get right in all the corners!

Decided to just show the box full instead of individually....definitely running out of bits to prep so maybe I need to pull a few more off the car :laughing:

• IMG_20200423_191726665.jpg
    • IMG_20200501_173219726.jpg
    • IMG_20200501_113837239.jpg
  2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

As the sump was now straight (after a lot of beating it with the hammer!) I decided to prep and paint. Dug the rust out of a couple of spot welds which left the metal a little thin so I brazed them back in to protect from further rusting (wanted to keep the heat down and for this kind of stuff braze seems to flow really well).

Think I'm getting the hang of the new paint now...am impressed with the paint so I will order some more. Am using caliper paint due to the heat...it goes on well for a rattle can and the coverage is pretty impressive. This is a single coat of black over silver....that impressive I think.

• IMG_20200501_173242592.jpg
    • IMG_20200501_172132603_HDR.jpg
  3. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    for a single coat over silver, that looks great!

JP

HopefullySoon and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Yea pretty good..."over silver" I just meant over the clean metal.

Its new paint I'm trying....made by ABRO. Usually rattle cans are terrible at covering because the paint volume I think is low (or the thinners are high). But this stuff has been great....lets see how it lasts though. I do have all the spray kit and compressor etc but it's convenient being able to pop down the garage and just get bits and bobs done.

jpmillermatic likes this.
  5. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I have a mate looking for a Figaro, any pointers, looking for something half decent,

6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Hi Matchless....I was going to say do the descent thing and put them off :laughing:

Seriously thought....the main issue it seems is bodywork which rusts/rots...I think they were never intended for the UK market so really weren't set up for our weather I think.

Body bits...anything chrome or anything interior seems to go for high bucks (drivers window switches £150 for example)....so check for damage/missing stuff.

The rot seems to be in a couple of specific areas...hardest to fix are the floor to inner sill area (the sills like to rot as there is a spot welded join where you really wouldn't want a join!), the rear end under the bumper/boot floor, the arches (including inner arches)...and from the arches to the rear of the floors. They also seem to go at the rear of the front arches....there is a plastic panel which hides the rot.

My second one has gone in most of the same areas as the first one so I suspect maybe they all go....front wings are plastic and chassis at the front seems not to rot (although many will have been in bumps over the years so check for alignment...easiest to check the headlight glass and see how it sits bot sides of the car.

Mechanicals seem to be fairly cheap to fix....turbos can go without owners even realising it!

Also check the roof for leaks....and the front corners of the roof opening also rots badly.....and fixing isn't easy because the trim has to come out to weld it.

Geez.....it's turned into quite a list!

I saw over a dozen cars.....not a single one was what I would call a good one. My friend wanted to spend up to £6.5k so that's how high we looked....not much at that price point so we chose a project instead. I'm not convinced spending more gets you a better car either....some looked amazing until I started looking for the rot.

The doors also rot to....and the hinge areas also rot....and the hinge pins seem too wear out which can make it look like the alignment is off. Easy enough to test by lifting the doors when open...

Having said all that....they do look excellent and they do drive like a modern car too with power steering (which is prone to leaking) and zircon too....

7. Matchless

I would need to give it a good look over, my mate lives in Luxemburg! I have heard the fuel consumption is terrible? any comments? if you hear of one not too far from London, Essex, Kent, Hertfordshire etc. let me know,

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Haven't driven it far but I reckon it will probably do something nuts like 30mpg hopefully. Its an old jap auto and their autos were always very thirsty.

Personally I'd be very careful if they are spending big money (£5k+)...I saw a lot that were deliberately concealing problems with filler and undersea freshly applied. Best one I saw had never been touched...it had a small bit of rust. I should have bought it but it was the first one I saw and I thought they'd all be like that. It seems owners "in the know" will sell on a car before the huge bills arrive...I think this one was that kind of car....young lad bought it for crazy money a year before I got it and he got burned badly (think it was £7k)!

Rough running can usually be sorted out very easily with the usual stuff...I suspect a lot of them have incorrect timing too....and the air pipes from the air filter crack so I think they then run very rich.

I'll let you know if I spot anything local to me...the friend I did this one for is still saving up to buy it so I'm still getting to drive it around. They drive nice as a town car....wouldn't want to commute in it....or do long motorway trips.

9. Matchless

what, like Essex to Luxemburg!

10. a111r Member

There was a 'old style' Garage off Wanstead High Street that always had a couple of them outside.

11. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Is that 30 MPG for basically a 1.0 / 1.3 micra engine ?

That's just crazy !

I'm expecting that from my MGB ...

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

The engine is based on the Micra k10 1.0 but it have a massive 50% power boost....so thats 77BHP :laughing:.

I seem to remember in the 1990s that Jap auto boxes were really bad on fuel....maybe it would be better as a manual perhaps.

Not had any time down the garage in weeks....work has been a bit manic lately + it's planting time down the allotment (my summer project :thumbup:)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Can't believe how long it's been since I had some garage time. I've been pretty solid with work since April....I think this is my first real break this weekend.

I have a bad back at the minute so the engine reassembly will have to wait. Decided to make a start on getting the filler off to see what I have. So far I'm very happy...looks like drivers side rear quarter is good...passenger side not so great but just looks like it was dented then filled over the dent (went rotten under the filler). No sign of dodgy repairs like the last one.

• IMG_20201009_165125812.jpg
    • IMG_20201009_165137268.jpg
    slim_boy_fat, octo0072000 and Exuptoy like this.
  14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Second day working on the Figaro....doing very well as I still haven't got the grinder out.

Been investigating the rear end....brave man who fixed this with a bucket of filler.

• IMG_20201010_141102739.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

The panel fit for the top and bottom boot lids is...well frankly rubbish. I knew it had a bump on the rear when I bought it so I think they didn't spend enough time getting the fit right.

I got most of the filler off....my current thinking is to take out the rear light panels and the centre section between the top and bottom boots which is also the wrong shape and rotten on the inside)...that would give me good access to the boot floor too. Then I can put it all back together the way I want.

In the second picture that braze joint has been fiddled with I think....there is evidence of hammer work too here and there. The fit of the top boot improved a little once the filler was removed but I think the left hinge is off somehow.

I need to do some thinking....if I could find a rear end that would really help. The floor is toast in the usual ackward places.

• IMG_20201010_134429713.jpg
    • IMG_20201010_134233581.jpg
    • IMG_20201010_134443200.jpg
  16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

So I got the grinder out...and got a bit carried away with myself....decided to remove the rear lights so I can get better access to the boot area (it has rust up the sides which would be difficult to access with the rear in situ)

Now I'm wondering whether to even bother with this car...it's going to need a lot of work in the boot area.

The rot is round the suspension mount areas too...so not just the boot floor....and at least one of the chassis legs needs the end replacing (and that's just having a quick poke around)!

Do I strip it...buy another one...will the other one just be as bad...can't be coincidence that I'm 2 for 2 with rot in the same places!

Decision to make....definitely can't roll this shell as it stands I think!

• IMG_20201014_165400161.jpg
  17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Mhhh, decisions, decisions :(

I suppose only you can decide which avenue to pursue. Funds and perhaps more importantly patience and determination will be the deciding factor(s). :confused:

Good luck either way. :thumbup:

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Cheers Slim...yep I got a decision to make. Everything is fixable...just a question of the time and effort needed to get it done. Good thing about Jap cars is you'll get a rot hole....then 10mm away its factory fresh steel so maybe its not as bad as it looks (although it does look pretty bad).

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

I'd say run with it. You're more than competent and you've been there before.

atomant48 likes this.
  20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I'm going to start with the chassis rails I think...if I can fix them then might be a goer.

I hacked the back end off...then stood back and thought maybe for the effort involved it would be better to do something different!

Advertisements