Project #2...Nissan Figaro

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea I just wish people were more honest....I see some of the projects where it's all stripped down and they claim all the bits are there in all the boxes. How would you ever know until you start putting it back together!

2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Bit more progress this week on the paint....got the wings and front panel done.

These are plastic on the Figaro...had to strip the front panel all the way back as the previous painter decided to just blow over the previous gloss....so it all went flaky!

I know I keep saying it but that epoxy primer really is stunning.

Should also say this was Mr C doing the painting and the paint prep not me....I do make the Tea though!

• IMG_20190223_140640852.jpg
    • IMG_20190223_140625280.jpg
  3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Door and boot in progress...just getting some epoxy on there. The rings fit in the wheels...they call them polos (as in the mints). They were a little battered but should be ok.

• IMG_20190228_184413992.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Getting there with the doors now...well 1 door. I have a choice of 4 or 5 doors for drivers side but every one of them has issues....except the one on my other Figaro.

• IMG_20190301_162420346.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Still moving forwards...all the paint is straight out the gun and dry! Still can't believe the gloss on it.

Polo wheel trims came out good...we decided not to put much prep into them as they get battered in use and it would have taken ages. Still look excellent I think!

• IMG_20190302_165436590.jpg
    • IMG_20190302_161010777.jpg
    • IMG_20190302_160951212.jpg
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Bit more progress...door1 is looking pretty good. We dug through the scrap pile and picked the best door we could find for the second door. We'll be doing a trial fit of the second door before we do the paint just to make are that it fits OK.

Many thanks to Eltoad....the second door is one that I got from you.

• IMG_20190307_173220173.jpg
    • IMG_20190307_173246740.jpg
  7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Well that boot lid went on pretty well...it literally just dropped in too! So glad I did all that work getting the alignment sorted when the welding was done.

I"m a very happy man indeed...we were literally dancing around the garage today.

• IMG_20190308_142259235.jpg
    • IMG_20190308_142342096.jpg
    • IMG_20190308_142431964.jpg
    Burdekin, slim_boy_fat and galooph like this.
  8. Cracking work as usual PD.

9. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers Exuptoy...it was just amazing when the boot went straight in. I knew it would fit but there is a difference between knowing and seeing...just can't believe how good it looks.

Switching to the epoxy primer has made all the difference to this project...before we switched we had constant paint problems....now it all just lays on perfect!

Exuptoy likes this.
  10. Nice when it all goes to plan eh?

11. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

More like Hannibal smith from the A team .... 'I love it when a plan comes together ' (Insert cheesy smug grin)

Nice job mate .

When does figgy 2 start ?

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers fellas....haven't thought about Figaro2 yet...to be honest I'm just hoping nothing goes wrong with Figaro1 to put us back!

Before I start the next one I'm going to be doing a mini restoration/refurb on an MR2 roadster that I have in storage. She needs a new engine....but you know how these things go....you decide to swap an engine and then before you know it your dropping in the engine from a lotus :whistle::whistle:...if I do something interesting I'll start a new project thread...lets see.

Ruffian and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

On a side note

Have you seen JP knocking about recently pd ?

Also what bell housing and box do lotus use ? .... Rover 1.8VVC engine if I rem correctly , can't rem how / what they used to mate rover engine to bell housing to MX-5 box and how much of the above don't you need :)

Malc

Or am I getting lotus / caterham confused , so many beautiful cars

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Hi HopefullySoon...I haven't heard from JP in quite some time either....I'll try messaging him to see how he is doing.

I was thinking about something like the Exige S...they switched to a Toyota 2zz engine with 200+ bhp (I think).

Am pondering whether I can drop in the 2zz from a Celica 190 or T-Sport...the roadster only had the 1zz which made it underpowered I think.

There is a guy on fleabay who does a complete kit....but it £2k :(:(!...but the kit literally includes everything to do the swap!

15. postie jon Member

which type of epoxy and from where?

16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Hi postie jon....the stuff we are using is called HB 989...comes as a two part + thinner. The thinner we are using is called HB body 775 thinner.

It's not cheap (compared to regular HB) but the amount of time wasting it's saved us I think I'd be happy paying twice the price to be honest!

You do have to get the mix right....and it doesn't save so you just mix what you need.

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Got the second door flatted back...did think about bare metal but decided we'll try as is.

Looks like there have been a few coats in the past...this should be a good challenge for the primer I reckon!

No idea why there is a white under there...maybe a factory primer....these cars only came in 4 colours originally.

• IMG_20190308_160124081.jpg
    • IMG_20190308_160112239.jpg
  18. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

What’s the yellow primer about ??

That looks completely out of place , just wondered what Mr C’s opinion on it were ?

Localised previous repairs

19. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

PD, you've still got your work cut out there.

Most European cars of that era would have an epoxy (greenish) then a white primer filler under the top coat.
    I've never worked on Japanese stuff so don't know if the same applies

Wish I was as far on as you but at least mine hasn't been painted so hopefully won't have the issues you have had to content with. (has to have something going for it)

Looking good and it's encouraging that you are thinking about getting stuck into the next project and not going away to lick your wounds.
    There's hope for all of us.

HopefullySoon likes this.
  20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Mr Cs opinion is always the same...we should take every panel back to bare metal (he's right of course)!

But we're on a budget in terms of time and money....he is sold on the epoxy primer though. He's doing his own project too (an old ford 100e)....I think he said that will get epoxy primer.

The other product he liked was the dolphin...basically a 2 part stopper/filler.

I think my MR2 (1992) also had a yellow primer...maybe it's a Japanese thing!

Advertisements