Project #2...Nissan Figaro

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Managed to get the front grill on this evening...don't ask how long I spent scrubbing this. I dusted the inside with silver paint because it's plastic and was trashed.

Dunno how well the silver will last but I have to say it looks pretty good.

The chrome really makes this little car I think.

• IMG_20190404_202241387.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Got a load done today but it's just stuff that needs doing to keep things moving but doesn't look like loads has been done....cleaning prepping etc etc.

Take the picture below...you look at it and think...so he bolted the bumper on!

But I spent hours...cleaning and polishing the chrome, painting the inside of the bumpers, painting the brackets..

The chrome isn't 100% perfect...but it's definitely not shabby.

• IMG_20190405_174951124.jpg
    Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Spent an age polishing bits of chrome...here are the last few bits. I do really like all the little details...the shape of those side repeaters is stunning I think.

The shape of the little front badge is repeated in little details all over this little car.

And yes I did paint the "Figaro" logo back in....with a tooth pick!!!...nobody will ever notice but I'll know that the "F" in Figaro is now perfect

• IMG-20190409-WA0002.jpeg
  4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Still a work in progress...lot of small jobs to get done. Mainly polishing panels and refitting chrome.

But seeing most of the front end back together really is a lift I can tell you!

Still got some mechanical stuff to get done...steering track rod ends need changing (one of them is toast), coolant leak...bypass pipe seal needs changing...brakes bleeding etc etc.

At least all the big stuff is now done....cam belt, aux belts, plugs, dizzy and rotor, fuel and air filters...all been done.

• IMG_20190412_143436751.jpg
    galooph, slim_boy_fat and Dcal like this.
  5. Dcal Member

Looking good.

6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers Decal...today I was back to sorting the coolant leak.

Did a load of digging...then decided I had probably done most of the work required to change the bypass pipe seal so pulled the pipe out to do it properly.

Glad I did....the seal was well past it...dry an brittle. Pipe is "reasonable"....am going to get the rust off and then I'll paint in VHT paint. Am interested to see how well the paint holds up as the pipe sits right under the exhaust. Time will tell...

• IMG_20190413_174653701.jpg
  7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

We also got the rear bumper on yesterday...and MrC did a day of flatting and polishing...dunno how he did it! So the sides are now ready for the chrome to be fitted...but he did all the work so I'm going to wait for him and we'll fit it together.

It's definitely slow going fitting chrome....the chrome itself goes on quick enough....but then we have a cuppa while we admire how good it looks!

We've departed from standard fitment and dropped the number with some spacers to keep it off the body. I think out of the factory the bumpers would be tucked against the body....but we all know how that worked out! Hopefully this will stop it trapping moisture!

• IMG_20190414_103102876.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

The bypass pipe sat in citric acid over night...came out pretty good.

I'll mask off the seal end and give it a coat of VHT paint.

• IMG_20190414_102240076.jpg
  9. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

With the VHT paint on looks pretty good ..will see how well it lasts. Hopefully we'll get a good few years out of it. Replacements are available for around £120!

• IMG_20190414_111844569.jpg
  10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

So close now...we have 3 or 4 little jobs left....one of which is final clean and polish.

Had so many niggles...mainly fluid leaks. I've been replacing the old wire hose clips but of course I missed a few of them. Still got a few bits of trim to go on too.

• IMG_20190504_194217070.jpg
    Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Missing a white strip along the boot top...but this is the first journey out of the garage in a long time.

Even the bloomin washer bottle had a leak and poured itself over the garage floor....not right away of course....it waited until I had my back turned. There is something special about the green with the white roof I think.

Luckily the chrome strip that runs front to back along the top of the doors and down the rear quarter lines up quite nicely.

• IMG_20190504_161935699_HDR.jpg
    slim_boy_fat and Robotstar5 like this.
  12. Dcal Member

Always a landmark when uou get a car out the door under it's own steam, even if it's only to turn it around

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Definitely....we've had a couple of days solving little niggles. I stuck it in drive and literally nothing happened.....there was a bit of a panic but turned out the transmission fluid needed a top up (well most of it ended up on the garage floor when I forgot to tighten the main unions to the trans cooler!).

Will be finishing a few little jobs and then doing a bit of detailing....MOT will have to wait a few weeks as I have something on but we're mostly there or there about I think.

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Went with chrome arches...they were an optional extra on the cars when new. I think they suit the shape really well.

Still cannot believe how the paint came out....Mr C has done a great job...and its still got the final polish yet to come.....all in a garage with some plastic sheeting!

Got 3 jobs left (can see in the pic)....fog light needs sorting, high level brake light needs sorting (keeps popping out!)...lower sill chrome is missing the end finisher....bumper is missing hockey stick chrome piece.

OK maybe I have more like a dozen little jobs left!

• IMG_20190504_165211901.jpg
  15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Yes it definitely has a "look" to it. That particular shade is just perfect for the shape and size. Very cute.

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Looking good!!! :thumbup:

17. gaz_moose Member

that is the best colour combo to have. makes me cringe when people paint them pink.

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Just doing little jobs now...got around to sorting the coolant pipe.

I don't have a flare tool so made the flare myself with a bit of offcut pipe....not pretty but will do the job.

I could give you all some waffle abou why it's mig brazed....but to be honest that's just what was in the welder when I picked it up + I like trying new stuff out!

Came out ok....hopefully the braze will be ok...it's only a vent tube!

I made the new one longer than the old....alot of the tubes have had those stupid wire pipe clamps on them for the last 30 years and are showing their age. The longer repair gives me the option of shortening the pipes if I have problems with them.

Last weekend we had a hose go at the back of the engine....again it was a stupid rusty wire clamp...I've pulled most of them and replaced with jubilee clips which are far kinder to the pipes I think.

• IMG_20190507_110949133.jpg
    • IMG_20190507_111844153.jpg
  19. pod70 Member

Those wire clips are a pain in the arse. Fitted a new radiator on one the other month and just gave up and replaced them all with jubilee clips. It's now fitted with Samco silicon hoses obtained through the owners club

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea if the car was for me I would have pulled all the hoses....I've had to pull them all off anyway to get the jubilee clips fitted. New owner is "on a budget" .....but a hose set is £200 and would be money well spent in my view!

pod70 likes this.
Advertisements