Project #2...Nissan Figaro

1. Dcal Member

There used to be a single pack high build primer that was that sort of yellow
    Wonder if that's what it is?
    Name will probably come to me in the middle of the night.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  2. Another good product used to be Barrs isolator. Used to stop reactions due to incompatible paints bleeding through when you have numerous coats showing.

3. Dcal Member

You can still get Barr Coat
    It's basically shelllac and does work.
    It was the was designed for isolating dodgy paint like thermo plastics (remember them) before applying solvent heavy coatings like cellulose paint

An epoxy will do the same job as once it cures nothing much dissolves it.
    Just make sure you dont sand through the barrier coat.

slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

We tried Barr coat but still got reactions...it was very confusing.

Our current thinking is that maybe that high gloss thinner is quite a "slow" thinner and maybe was going into the base paint and reacting....but the advantage is it allows the top coat to "flow" and that creates a better shine (maybe....I'm guessing as I'm new to this!)

So far with the epoxy we've had no reactions...I think you are right Dcal....once the epoxy is cured nothing seems to get through it so it's basically working like an inert barrier.

Exuptoy likes this.
  5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

So started getting the polos back on the wheels...I think they look excellent

• IMG_20190311_191253946.jpg
    HopefullySoon and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Dcal Member

They must be a pain when they get kerbed

7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Bit more progress...got the inside of the second door done. We seem to be rapidly running out of panels to paint.

Still plenty of assembly to do buy definitely moving forwards now I think

• IMG_20190315_195552808.jpg
    slim_boy_fat and galooph like this.
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Also got the lower panel ready for the front end rebuild. After lots of thinking we went with stone chip...the cross member isn't visible through the grill...so rather protect it than make it pretty.

Bloke who worked that dent out did an excellent job :hug:

Previous restorer painted the bottom of the radiator and the pipes in green....plonker! I covered the green but will leave as it is....not a big fan of tons of paint on radiator fins!

• IMG_20190315_195514555.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Would a quick, light blow over to the bits you can see through the grille with a black rattle can [VHT if you think that'd help the look (and cooling :dontknow:) ] be acceptable. It wouldn't add much thickness of the fins covering?

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers slim....yea I might do that. Would be a real shame to see any grey primer through the grill after all the work that has gone in!

11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Ok...looks much better now. Gave it a light blow over. Had to mask off the original stickers...hate paint on stickers!

• IMG_20190316_135855963.jpg
  12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

MrC and I have an ongoing discussion about what bolts to use....the car will be a daily driver so I'm replacing old bolts with stainless ones which will make future servicing alot easier. Only the m6 ones holding brackets etc....not the stress rated ones because of course stainless isn't the same grade necessarily as good old steel!

Definitely isn't original equipment....but it's a compromise. I will of course bag up the old rusty bolts that came off and they will go with the car just in case anyone wants to put it back to original.

Todays job is making a start on removing the old wire pipe clips...I really dislike them....they either end up rusting and falling off (catastrophic failure) or they end up cutting through the hoses! Replacing with stainless jubilees...and therefore removing one of those points of failure.

We'll be doing several of the engine jobs over the next few weeks (eg cam belt etc etc)...just makes sense while all the front end is off to get them out of the way now...not sure I'll post pics unless anyone wants to see them?

13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Got started...had to get more clips ordered up.

• IMG_20190317_141622640.jpg
  14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

My diligence was duly rewarded...this was the end of the thermostat housing. Was a great find...imagine trying to dig this out if it had given way!

• IMG_20190317_152043649.jpg
    Exuptoy and Lazurus like this.
  15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

This is what it should look like...I definitely dodged a bullet here I think.

I was expecting the housing would be difficult to find...nop...fleabay and £40 later!

• IMG_20190317_173557502.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    You probably know this but copper grease on all the fasteners works brilliantly when the time comes to take them apart. I'm just doing some work on a car I built 30 years ago. I used copper grease on all the fasteners and everything just came apart like it was assembled yesterday.

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Thats an excellent suggestion....I did the same on my MR2 build and it definitely helped a few years later when I had to take it apart again.

I totally forgot I'd done it that way.....cheers for the reminder.

I think the grease actually slows the corrosion process too by excluding moisture I guess....right...copper grease it is :thumbup:

18. Of course we do! Pics help others too if they don’t know their way around a spanner.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

No probs Exuptoy....alwasy happy to take pictures :thumbup:

Second door got painted...well that's all the big panels painted but still loads more to do of course. We have some small bits and bobs to paint but I think this is the main stuff done.

Reassembly will be starting over the weekend along with getting the engine bits done so we can get the front end back together.

• IMG_20190321_194825888.jpg
  20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

So thermostat turned up...I was so impressed it deserved another picture. I was a bit worried that the thermostat bit might have just been a Micra one but nop it was spot on! Figaro's run 82 C where as the Micra I believe is 88C....this was same as the original.

Just take a look at the housing....I wonder if that would have made it to the MOT test station without falling off!

• IMG_20190321_201008671.jpg
    Exuptoy likes this.
Advertisements