....very cheap in my book would need to be around £1000 or less. We paid £1,400 for this one which had a good engine and a good interior (we have a second one to restore and that was £1,200 but the engine I fear is toast as is the interior....good chrome thought)....the rest of it was a total mess.
You have to be careful with these....the chrome and the interior bits are very expensive....as are some of the body panels like the rear boot lid.
To get the car up to the paint stage including the car (and replacing a load of bits along the way) I reckon I must be in it for £5,000 not including MrC on the paint job.
If you guys are interested in the costings I've got a book somewhere so I could do a summary....would give people a good idea I guess.
Most of these are worth more in parts than they are worth saving....but who knows....in 10 year that might be different.
Hey @Pigeon_Droppings2 you have alot to answer for since your adventures into the Figaroathon started - I'm noticing 'em everywhere now!
Two started to appear in my road, one was the same colour as this one above but had issues like yours. Had almost the same damage to the boot and sill.
Second one was a 'nappy puke' colour and filthy. One day I was beside it when it started up - smoke appeared from all around the car and it farted a few times then clunked and chufed its way down the road in a haze of oil.
Kept thinking "Wow, PD2 says that its big bucks to replace this and that but I bet he still would have a go"
PS: Mr C sounds like a keeper, get a ring on that finger as soon as
Yea I think the parts situation is actually artificially inflated......from what I see there is some serious parts hoarding going on at the moment with people just sitting on the parts until they get what they want. So if you want a drivers window switch then it's £200 or you don't have one!
I've notices that cars come up for sale around the £1,000 mark and then are immediately bought (I think by the same people sitting on the parts).
It's pretty much the usual situation with any old car thats rare I think....eventually they parts become so expensive that people start making reproductions and the bottom falls out of the original parts market!
Well it took me a while but I finally got the car booked in for it's MOT at the weekend.....drum roll....passed with no advisories aside from a windscreen defect which I'll have to get sorted out before it gets worse !
Am a very happy man indeed....but it was short lived of course!
First thing it did when I got it back in the garage was have a bleed out all over the garage floor....turns out when I did the hose upgrade there was one coolant hose not included in the kit and of course that's the one which decided to blow!
Also I'm not totally happy with the way it's running....might just need a good run as it's been sitting for a while ....or might be something else!
Think the original hoses were well and truly cream crackered!
Spent a few hours removing the oxygen sensor only for it to test ok on the bench...bit annoying but at least that's eliminated.
All plugs,leads,dizz etc have been done
Then I noticed that the bellows on the air intake were toast...30 years of absorbing engine movement I guess. Have done a temporary repair with some amalgamating tape...followed by some cloth tape. Will keep an eye out for a second hand one...don't fancy paying £70! Might have to make one up myself!
Recently saw this one when we were out for a meal. Hanging rough but had all the extras like the the bumper mounted marker, underdash basket and this unique stainless plate with a crazy translated saying in it on the rear arch.
Got my rough running sorted out today....turns out the timing was 5 degrees out....should be 15 BTDC but had been set to 10 BTDC. Took it for a test drive and it drives like a different car....amazing what a difference it has made!
Am wondering whether the previous owner/mechanic missed that the intake pipe was torn....then tried to adjust their way out of the problem - idle was a bit of a mess too so that needed a tweak once the timing was set.
Today I got on with a few performance improvements...only kidding...although I did check the valve clearances while I had the valve cover off.
I don't have a blaster so this was just a quick job to neaten it up a little.
Still breaking the car in with longer and longer trips....so far just the usual niggles and tweaks have been needed. 2 of the valve clearances were too tight so I'm hoping for a bit of a power boost :-)