Morris 8 Engine Build

1. Wallace

Wallace Member

Is there much call for white metal bearing material these days? I found a few ingots in the shed at the weekend.

2. RWD3M Member

Probably. It's quite niche nowadays but try finding your local Engineering works that still carries out the process. Perhaps they'll take them off your hands.

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Aye, but you'd not believe the fun with that car. All my pals were in pretty much the same boat back then - if one broke down we all rallied round to fix/help.

RWD3M likes this.
  4. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Funny you say that, i was following this rebuild of a ford model A sidevalve, and the lad adjusting the valves said it was daft too.

5. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin

I know some old 40's and 50's british bikes had babbetted or white metal big ends, most now bore out the conrod eyes and fit shells, but sometimes i suppose you cannot avoid using it.

Rannsachair and Wallace like this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

I think my Father would have used the white metal for his Austin 7, I remember him talking about breaking the crankshaft.

ronan likes this.
  7. minimutly Member

2 bearing crank, daft idea. Three, now that's the answer....

8. Wallace

Wallace Member

I looked for some info on the 7 engine and see that a 3 bearing crank has a white metal centre bearing, it would have had a hard life under my Fathers ownership as he didn't like to hang about!

9. minimutly Member

There you go, I allways thought they were 2 bearing. Learn something every day

10. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I seem to recall, early 7’s were 2 bearing & later ones were 3. The 2 bearing ones, if you were tuning it, you shaved the middle 2 piston tops to take up the crank whip at revs. I’ve never had or taken apart a 7, just what I was told by those that had. I’m sure someone will be along soon with the full story.

Wallace likes this.
  11. RWD3M Member

Finally, the engine went in today!

20191006_171715.jpg

I've had a couple of minor issues to deal with not least was the water outlet elbow being too close to the block!

It seems that the later block (of which I have an example) has the oil filler on the side of the crankcase whereas my older block had a filler tube on the top of the timing chain cover.

20190928_102548.jpg

As a result, the water elbow didn't come far enough away from the block to allow me to get the water hose on. Fortunately I discovered this whilst building the block up on the bench! A 3mm alloy spacer has now been inserted and seems to do the job.

20191006_185433.jpg

I've also run the oil pump up with a drill and have a bucket load of oil pressure too! :laughing:

20191006_191820.jpg
    I do need a bit of a tidy up but I'm tired and hungry and the wife is away for a couple of days so I'm off for a curry. :clapping:

Hope everyone's had a good weekend.

minimutly and Wallace like this.
  12. Wallace

Wallace Member

Minor issues on a Morris? Like what you did there! How do you cope in that untidy workshop? :D

slim_boy_fat and ronan like this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@RWD3M Is that a GT6 lurking there?

14. RWD3M Member

Bu99er, I genuinely never spotted that!

Wallace likes this.
  15. RWD3M Member

Well spotted Slim,

It's a @73 Mk 3. Had it for about 13 - 14 years. I restoed it before I did the Morris. It's been around a bit too. I'm pretty sure there isn't an A road or B road north of the Great Glen it hasn't been along! It's also been to Orkney and Shetland (twice).

slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
Advertisements