Hi All, A few weeks ago I posted here regarding a replacement engine (and gearbox) for my 1936 Morris 8. After some terrific advice here I ignored you all and found another Morris engine!!! Some of you suggested I start a thread on the rebuild so here is the first installment beginning with a little background. I bought the Morris about 6 years ago in a very poor state... ...and spent a couple of years restoring the car to a reasonable, useable condition: After our first big trip to the Morris Register National Rally something had to be done about the 3 speed gearbox it was fitted with! First and second were ok but to get into top you had to be flat out, down hill with a following wind! It was like there was a gear missing. The later Series E cars had a 4 speed box so one of these was sourced, fully rebuilt and fitted which made it a whole different car to drive. The wife and I then managed to get some limited use from it before continued engine issues forced this drastic action. Some of you will recall that I was recently lucky enough to find a later (short) engine which I got home and stripped in preparation for a quick refresh... ... however, the bottom end wasn't in quite the condition I was led to believe it would be so a crankshaft change will be required (sorry, no picture of that). As luck would have it, I have a spare crank, recently reground and with a full set of shells to suit the later block (the earlier blocks were all white metal bearings, a costly process!). After stripping, the block went off for an acid clean and descale before having that small crack repaired and the top refaced: I'm now ready to lap the valves in before a full clean and reassembly. I'll post more as I get bits done and hope you enjoy reading it. Richard.