Morris 8 Engine Build

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

My first car, a Ford Popular E93a, had the three-speed 'box and would top out at c. 55/60 - it's difficult to be more accurate because the speedo needle used to jump about like Zebedee on amphetamines :laughing:

mrsbruce, Ruffian, 8ob and 5 others like this.
  2. RWD3M Member

I think Morris claimed a top speed of 58 mph for the 8. Frightening thought!

8ob, stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

Aye, a bit like "Your life in their hands" :laughing:

stuvy and RWD3M like this.
  4. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I’m puzzled “when the Vulcan was still flying” I think you’re thinking of the Air Tattoo at Fairford. I can’t recall a Vulcan flypast, although we’ve had stunt planes, parachutists & assorts there.

5. minimutly Member

What suprises me about the xpag is that:
    a) there are loads of spares still being made,
    B) that no one has improved on the poor design of the 30s - ie pistons, cam, followers, oil pump, crank vibration damper (lack of one)
    Maybe these people can see it would be bad business...

6. RWD3M Member

Hi Cobbler,

Hmm... that's got me thinking. Defo wasn't Fairford, I've never been there. Where else could it have been though? I need to have a word with the old grey cells, they're not working as they should!

stuvy likes this.
  7. RWD3M Member

Ooh, you cynic!

:laughing:

stuvy and 8ob like this.
  8. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

9. merryman Member

a There are lots of spares being made because there are lots of XPAGs still in use.
    B Difficult to improve on perfection. Seriously the XPAG was a good engine, and T Types can more or less keep up with modern traffic. How many other 40s cars of 1250ccs can do that? Nothing wrong with the pistons, very few will still have the split skirt ones, they mostly have Hepolite replacements which are almost identical to those used on BMC A series engines, nor the cam followers as far as I know, bit heavy by modern standards. Gear type oil pump with full flow filtration, just like most modern cars. The XPAG held land speed records, and was used in early 50s racing cars until Climax became the power unit of choice.

zx9 likes this.
  10. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Already got my ticket :thumbup:

Cobbler likes this.
  11. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
  12. minimutly Member

Really?
    Cam followers wearing out in 30,000 miles or less, likewise cams - why continue with 3/8 width - madness.
    Pistons with rings 3 times wider than modern ones, consequently still made from cast iron, and because of this width too close to the top. After 40 years some blocks need skimming - no one makes shorter pistons so you have to live with proud tops - madness. The cast rings break, your engine pumps its oil out, crank is toast.
    Cranks that were braking 40 years ago - I have two - why not design a damper?
    And just in case you still think its a good engine, have a look down the inlet ports - the a series was poor, but it was years ahead in gas flow capability - its more like an old diesel head than a sports car engine.

Respectfully, I believe you are looking through rose tinted glasses at this old boat anchor.

13. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Are you exhibiting? If so let me know where you are & I’ll come & find you.

14. Robotstar5

No, Ill be taking photo's, but it's such a big show my back or feet give out before the memory cards are full :laughing:

octo0072000 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Call in to the Cobalt tent just inside the gate, we may well have the kettle on & a slice of cake. What day are you intending to come? I’m there the whole weekend.

16. RWD3M Member

Hi Cobbler,

Got to the bottom of this one. It was the Best of British show at Kemble in 2012, blimey how time flies!

Having said that, there was no Vulcan there either so I don't know where I made that connection!

Anyway, still hope to make it to South Cerney.

Cheers,

17. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Ok, closer to the date, I will PM you & Robo of my name so I can be found. I like to keep myself fairly anonymous, so won’t do it on the open forum? It will be good to put a face to a ‘name’ I don’t know whether I will have time for a chat as it all gets a bit manic at times, we struggle at times to get enough volunteers for the gate!. If it’s quiet, cup of tea & cake maybe. My wife makes tea & cakes to keep everyone going.

Robotstar5 likes this.
  18. Robotstar5

Probably be the Saturday as I'd like to get to the Trimpley show near Bewdley on Sunday.

19. cardiffrob Member

I have several Morris 8 / Minor engines in my cars, including some ALTA conversions. Glad to help if I can. Rob, near Cardiff. gholt7.jpg

20. slim_boy_fat

^^ Just look at the space available round that engine :thumbup:

Advertisements