Me again, more odd behaviour :(

1. Richard.

Richard. Member

I'm probably not a million miles away from him. He's welcome to bring his kit to me and I'll have a look. You'll need to bring your gas too as I don't do mig if I can avoid it. Where in Herts are you.

2. Davek0974

Davek0974 Arse!, Drink!, Girls!

Possibly, not asked that yet.

The main issue is that it was (so far) a one-off incident and has now magically cured itself.

I have just got back from a trip up the road from the day-job to an engineering company that i knew did welding albeit much higher current stuff.

The guy had never seen a flare-up or heard of it, his suggestions were gas related - contaminated, flow level, poor regulation. Suggested another bottle but this one is only 50% so would be a waste if it were not gas, I do have a bit of Co2 left which might help diagnose if it does it again.

I will look into a good 2-stage regulator.

3. Davek0974

Bishops stortford :)

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

40mins down the m11. Not bad. Do you want some help?
    Don't buy a 2 stage reg or start throwing money at it. At least wait to see if it can't be sorted out with a bit of fettling and playing with the consumables and settings. I'll know straight away if there is something not right as I have used one of these a good few times and they are decent bits of kit. If you want to come and see me for an hour give me a shout and we will arrange.

Davek0974 likes this.
  5. Davek0974

Ok, thanks i'll bear it in mind, as i said, its working ok now so no idea when or if it will happen again, but its good to know you're there.

6. Richard.

Richard. Member

That surprises me!
    Most people struggling with £1500 worth of new welder would jump at the chance to hand it over to someone local and get an idea of what could be causing the intermittent issues. Free help and advice offered on a plate, I'd be throwing it in the boot as we speak and making the call if I was in your shoes. :dontknow:

julianthegypsy and arther dailey like this.
  7. Davek0974

Sorry, please don't take it wrong, it really is much appreciated, honestly.

I also have a full-time day-job and don't get in until about 6pm so its really not easy to just pop in :) I also have no more holiday left for this year so i cant book a day off either :(

Its just a matter of time etc for me i'm afraid.

julianthegypsy likes this.
  8. gt6s Member

I used to have those.

I didn't like it.

Laurence

slim_boy_fat and Davek0974 like this.
  9. Davek0974

Well, had some more play time,

I tried deliberately backing the wirefeed off so it stalled and stuttered and that was exactly what it did - the weld was stuttery, but she still welded a bead! It was nothing like the fault in question so i know its not a WF issue.

Next i returned the WF to normal, tested it and all was OK.

Moving on, i turned the gas down to silly levels, at zero the weld was as porous as a sponge but from 1lpm upwards to 15lpm+ it made perfectly acceptable welds - i was surprised how well it worked at 1lpm but this is indoors so no draught etc.

I put all settings back to normal - for me that's about 6-8lpm and made what i consider to be two perfectly acceptable fillets...

IMG_1908.JPG

I have no idea at all what was going on - from searching the 'net i see only "flare-ups" in relation to TIG welding and a electrode contamination, nothing in relation to MIG
    at all.

I did see a post that said gasses can settle out if not used - my cylinder had been standing for a good few months without being moved so i gave it a good shake up just in case :)

10. arther dailey Member

If it welds like that at one lm my thoughts are your reg. is fuba.

11. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

The thing is though Dave, if you turn the wire feed down the welder adjusts for that, with the wire sticking due to a tight tip (spatter/hot/deformed) then it may not be the same as simply turning the feed down.

I used to get a similar flaring arcs when using the previous Migs, all Aluminium of course as that is all I use the Mig for. But when the tip was coming near the end of its life due to the high temps of Alu welding then the wire would start sticking and not feed properly and start to burn back towards the tip and you would get a wide bright flaring arc.

Obviously you have not done enough welding to wear out a tip yet so that is why I was thinking that some spatter had blocked the tip a bit and was slowing the wire feed.

12. Davek0974

No, these welds were done as i said, after i returned all settings to normal.

I used a peashooter to check flows and at min the ball was just about moving.

13. Davek0974

No, when i said "backing the WF off" I should have said more clearly "releasing the tension on the WF roller" the feed speed was never touched. I just released the tension so far it slipped and fed badly - trying to imitate a sticking wire.

:)

14. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I've encountered a similar problem davek, and the issue I had was spatter on the tip if I rember rightly.

Reading this thread you seem to jump in and think it is machine, and change all your variables to test. This is how I would look for any fault, first thing would be earth, then torch, if the problem is still re occurring, I would change only one value at at time.

But in all honesty I would take Richard up on his offer regardless whether the machine seems to be running fine now. Who knows maybe it's a fault of yours?

15. Davek0974

Thats just it though - I didn't think it was the machine! :) If you re-read from the start i was merely explaining what happened - other helpful readers plumped for the machine going for wire feed then poor torch and so on. The last thing in my mind was the machine and torch TBH.

I merely changed settings to try and replicate possible faults following the suggestions - wire feed, gas flow, and so on. The shroud and tip were checked, both were clean as this welder is pretty spatter free so they don't seem to gunk up very fast which is good.

The very first thing i did when it happened was check the work lead, second was wire feed tension, third was gas flow all were ok so headed for here :)

I can recognise many issues - porosity etc now and this just didn't fit anything i'd seen before.

I am grateful for Richard offering to have a look-see and I'm trying to find a way to get time to go but i doubt he would appreciate me on a Sunday, weekends are precious I think ;)

16. Richard.

Richard. Member

I would happily give up an hour or two of my Sunday to help you if you wanted it. Don't feel pressured in to doing so mind if your happy things are ok and you don't have the free time that's no problem but I don't mind helping people that are struggling
    It would have to be planned on a weekend when my daughter isn't staying over but I'm sure if you needed a hand I could sort it my end. See how you get on.

17. Davek0974

Hi all.

Been a while but my problems has returned - the weld changes from normal to flare-up. This is now on the ESAB Rebel so its the same fault i got rid of the R-Tech for!

The one constant is the gas - still on Argoshield light.

I am half-bottle now and thats about where the issue starts, I have now found a way out though - stop welding (not much choice really) take that gas bottle, shake it as hard as possible by tipping from vertical to floor and back a few times, run a few beads on waste metal and get back to work.

As far as i am concerned the gas is crap - I don't use much, about a Y cylinder per year, but it seems it settles out and really makes a mess.

Its not air getting in as the gauges will stay up for weeks on end so the system is tight, the welder is new, torch is new, wire is ESAB new.

Its the BOC gas.

Question is - what do i change to?
    I want nice clean welds with low spatter.

18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You're using a bottle a year. That's your problem right there. The gas is settling out or going above the dew point.

You need to go over to an X size bottle.

Or roll your bottle across the floor before you start welding!

19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

There's some holes in your terminology and explanation, so perhaps you're just starting out welding.

But you need to start at the beginning and check you've got no leaks, spool tension is correct, wire feed tension is correct. New contact tip.

I'm not sure what torch you have on your Rebel, but if its the MXL200, use about 10-12lpm, if the MXL 270 use about 12-15lpm.

20. Davek0974

Not really a newbie - been messing for about 5 years now, no professional though.

The torch is the standard Rebel supply, not sure on the number but it takes common tips and nozzles.

The flow is about 9-10lpm set on a proper flow gauge, wire feed is good etc. I did very extensive tests when this happened on my old welder and in the end just bought a new one!

Yes, a bottle a year - i will look into X size but not sure if BOC do them on the special (volkzone) hobby deal??

If not then maybe change to another supplier - can't remember the name but the bottles are yellow/green IIRC

I was told many times that the gas doe not settle but my simple shake test proves otherwise i think.

There are no gas leaks pre-welder as the lines will stay pressurised for weeks with gas off, if it was after the welder so in the torch line it would do it all the time - this is intermittent.

Advertisements