Me again, more odd behaviour :(

1. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Its the copper that lubricates. The rust soon clogs tips / liners etc.....slackening the wire feed will help and tight rollers bend the wire

arther dailey likes this.
  2. Depends if it has become damaged or not

3. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Hi

I have a rebel 215, I started a thread on here when it was having intermittent hissy fits. Either cutting out or acting/sounding weird on smig.

finally pinned it down to input supply issues/sensitivity. It only happens when our BEV car is charging !

Davek0974 likes this.
  4. Davek0974

Davek0974 Arse!, Drink!, Girls!

Just dragging this up for an update.

The problem with the flare-ups is most definitely a wire-feed issue so thanks to all those that suggested wire-feed.

On Friday i had another flare-up, mid-weld and the usual bacon sizzle was replaced with a bright flame and loud hissing noise, i managed to drag the torch back about 1" before it went out and was pretty surprised at that.

On investigation i had zero wire-feed, turns out the roll had finished and the end had snagged on the core so it stopped abruptly.

What i can't figure out is how there was enough voltage to draw a 1" flame and maintain it, it was damn hot too, loud and smokey.

So my previous issues seem to be either poor wire - tangled/catching on unwind or my feed tension is way too low - either is an easy fix, a new roll was fitted, new tip and not happened yet.

Maybe i am pushing tips too far - what's the life expectancy of a 0.8mm mig tip in terms of 5Kg rolls of wire to the tip ratio???

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Well it’s not a wire feed issue if you’ve run out of wire.

These flare ups? It’s just the wire burning back to the tip? And then melting the end of the tip?

Tips and wire get hot, and sometimes they just get stuck. Air cooled setups being used at the limits of their duty cycle will be more obvious.

6. Davek0974

No, the wire stopped but the flame/arc kept going permanently - i managed to stretch it out to about an inch and for about 10-15 seconds, pretty much like a carbon arc would but the flame was green/yellow not white.

The tip/torch would be practically cold as only the 2nd weld of about 30mm long.

7. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Having had my 215 for a few years now and it often being sat doing nothing for a few months I have come to the conclusion its a little sensitive about some things, this could be just me and have no science behind it but....

I now touch the return clamp on the wire wheel to brighten it up before starting, it was behaving horribly once with terrible inconsistent welds in Smig. I found cleaning it brought it back to as new performance. I have noticed even a bit of dirt/grease and it can glitch.

The top layer of wire after being stored a few months always seems to perform poorly or rather the Esab performs poorly with it, expect it or run it off before starting an important weld.

Change the Tips regularly unlike my old Clarke that never seemed to mind the minute the Tip has the slightest wear I change it as I think Smig can fluctuate with a worn tip.

If its locking up or just stopping and you have to turn it off and on again look at what else is running on the circuit. It doesn't like our Car Charging for instance​

Davek0974 likes this.
  8. Davek0974

Interesting, how often would you change a tip?

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That sounds like the trigger got stuck on.

10. Davek0974

No, i was holding it on deliberately, looking fo wire feeding but there was none because it was jammed on the spool-end.

11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The welder doesn’t know when the wire has run out, so of course the arc continued if you had your finger on the button

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Davek0974

yes what i am trying to ask i guess is how was that arc maintained - there is not enough voltage to bridge a 1" gap, i thought the gas was inert apart from the 5%? oxygen?

Arcs need voltage & current, yes the current is there but its only what? 140v?

13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

A good TIG will hold a 1” gap and that’s at 100A and 18V

easy for a Mig with up to 27V to play with.

Davek0974 likes this.
  14. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

The gas ionises and aids conductivity. This is why a tig’s HF often appears to be unable to jump from the tungsten to the workpiece if you forget to turn on the shielding gas.

15. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Tips last a very long time if you are rolling work about on a bench, not so long if you start cranking up the amps and doing overhead, vertical up/down or anywhere torch angle is compromised. Keeping the shroud clean helps tip life.

Bob

Mr Roo likes this.
  16. Jim Davey

As does tightening the tip up with pliers or a spanner so it doesn’t overheat.

Mr Roo, slim_boy_fat and Brad93 like this.
  17. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

50% of feed issues and tips not lasting is down to this.

Mr Roo likes this.
  18. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

anecdotally: i found when I was welding 10-20mm steels all day every day, I was having to tighten my tip up every hour or so. Lasted weeks between changes, even with heaps of positional welding thrown into the mix.

now in the habit of checking every so often!

19. minimutly Member

My old boc mig was machine gunning a couple of days ago, worked out the tip was loose. Tightened it - hey presto all of 150A again...

Mr Roo likes this.
  20. Jim Davey

Don’t tell everybody, I sell a load of tips thanks to laziness :D

Richard. and Brad93 like this.
Advertisements