Me again, more odd behaviour :(

1. Davek0974

Davek0974 Arse!, Drink!, Girls!

Ok so i had a decent size job (for me anyway) today, the Esab was running perfectly, lovely sizzle sound and perfect welds every time, until...

After about 25 1" fillets, it started to sound odd, very quiet and poppy again :(

So i took a coffee break, checked the gas flow - ok, checked wire feed - ok, reached for the camera.

Three videos here - very poor quality i'm afraid, its hard to video a mig weld.

The first two show the issue i think, in the third the trouble clears itself towards the end??

So, when it goes wrong it was like trying to weld with a magnesium flare running on pure oxygen! A really bright flame, poor or non existent weld, sometimes followed by a tip-weld.

I looked at the display and i'm damn sure it said 28v and 180A which is odd on 160A machine? The voltage was definitely way high.

Then, after the 3rd video it all cleared and normality was resumed, I even finished the job ok!

Now, I'm sure its NOT the machine, the wire is quality stuff, could this be crap BOC gas?

Flow rate was 8lpm, wire is 0.8mm.

2. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

What's the white on your shroud? It's not galv sheet is it?

GW8IZR likes this.
  3. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

Check your feeding, maybe a wire restriction. If you've used the torch a lot maybe it's gotten hot, probably need a new contact tip also

dobbslc likes this.
  4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No expert but I think it looks like wire feed issue so as @matt1978 says replace the contact tip, check the liner and make sure you do not have a severe kink in the torch. Also worth checking you have enough tension on the roller.

As said no expert but when doing Alu the flaring arc is a first sign of the contact tip binding the wire and needing replaced.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  5. Davek0974

No its tip-dip :)

Joe_echo likes this.
  6. Davek0974

Ok, thanks, i'll throw another tip on it but don't forget the whole setup is only abut a week or two old and only done about 20mins of weld in total, maybe less.

Also, if it was tip, how did it 'fix' itself??

7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

It would be unusual but could have been a bit of spatter stuck to the tip that was restricting the wire. Would check your feed tension though just in case you have that set a bit low.

8. Davek0974

I have it set so that if you stall it at the tip by pressing against a bench it will slip, but angle the torch a bit and it will make tight curls in the wire.

9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Sounds about right.

10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You are too far away with the torch in the first picture, can't see anything in the other two. Turn the power up and the speed and get in closer. Steady the torch with your other hand, it's not a water pistol. If it blows holes turn the power down and if it pushes back at you turn the wire speed down but get the torch in closer or the gas is just going away without shielding. Show us some of the welds from before it acted up.

11. Richard.

Richard. Member

I thought you bought a rebel.
    They are 210 amps not 160.

12. Davek0974

This is an Esab Rebel in sMig fully-auto mode, stick out (within reason) makes no difference as it compensates, very well usually, i was deliberately a bit too far away to try and highlight the issue.

I usually use two hands but needed to hold the camera :)

When it was flaring up I tried everything from shroud touching to about 15-20mm stickout with no change in behaviour.

13. Davek0974

Thanks, my mistake entirely :ashamed::ashamed:

The R-Tech was 160A

14. Lordspectre

Lordspectre If it aint broke, tinker with it anyway

Be thinking a wire speed issue or maybe spatter got up in the tip.seems like wires maybe getting stuck in the tip then releases and goes for a split second before repeating

15. matt1978

I think that it will of been that the torch got too hot and was causing the wire feed restrictions/binding in the tip and neck.

What torch are you using? MB 15, MB 25??

Lordspectre likes this.
  16. Davek0974

Its an Esab - it has a label on it but cant remember, it does take the same tips as the previous R-Tech machine did and that had a Binzel on it.

I struggle to see it getting hot - this is a light industrial machine and it had only made maybe 20 1" fillets with it on 3mm steel, thats with some fit-up time between too.

17. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Is it Tip Dip or that white Ceramiguard aerosol? If it is the aerosol stuff you must allow the solvent to evaporate away before you attempt a weld. As others have said though is certainly looks and sounds like a feed issue, and I'd look at the tip as my first port of call.

18. Davek0974

Its esab tip-dip, a white chalky fluid you dip the torch tip into and let dry.

It was applied a week ago so no solvent issues there.

I have fitted a new tip and will try it tonight on some scrap, but it was working on the old tip so i have no idea - it sort of fixed itself yesterday as seen at the end of the third video.

19. matt1978

its not the machine hot its the torch

20. Davek0974

Thats what i meant, i ran probably 5x more bead/fillet tonight on scrap than i did at the weekend and it worked perfectly.

Yes, i did change the tip but a tip should last more than 5 minutes surely :)

Advertisements