Isocyanate free 2k paint

1. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Bill, i sprayed proper 2k paint direct gloss on some motorcycle parts, frame, forks etc about a month ago and the hardness doesn't impress me at all. Nearly everything i sprayed i could push my thumbnail into many days after it was done and can continue to do so. So maybe its the low temps we had this summer or something like that.

2. Alnewbie New Member

Hi, new to the forum and recent 1st time at spraying... Great forum!

Interesting thread... I recently sprayed an mgb in cellulose as my first spraying project and it turned out far better than I thought it might and I've got the bug! The main issue I had was its softness and susceptibility to rain marks if left on the car (BRG and maybe that shows up the marks more than the lighter colours) and its softness.

I'm now looking at spraying an MGF and I'm are that cellulose is a no go for newer classics, but I'd like to have a go at home. Iso 2k is a non starter for me, so the Jawel 2k non Iso looks like it might be the way to go. So I have a couple of questions...

Is it likely that if I can spray reasonably well with celly, that I will be able to spray to a similar standard with 2k non iso?

Is Jawel 2k non iso after an epoxy primer the right way to go and does it require a lacquer final coat?

Lastly at the risk of asking something already answered, I'd be interested in the general consensus so far on the non iso product or is there a better way to go? Any updates from previous posters really appreciated.

Cheers all.

Al

3. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yes chances are you could spray it if you can use a spray gun

depends what colour you choose , would be base coat and clear for metalics or non metalics are often available in direct gloss

from reading online the general word seems to be that it doesnt go off properly

4. Alnewbie New Member

Thanks for the quick reply...

It's actually BRG pearlescent which I guess also requires a clearcoat... Assuming it's an available colour in the first place!

5. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    okay so base coat doesnt ever had the isocyanite bit in

so you would need to look into the non iso clear coat or 1k stuff

6. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Why can't you use the 2k Al ? if you have somewhere safe to spray, hire a second compressor for a weekend and use an airfed mask.

7. Bobo Member

I'm no sprayer, but I would say there wasn't enough hardener in it then. As it's a chemical reaction that makes it go hard it shouldn't matter too much what the temperature is. It should still go off after a few days.. I sprayed 2k primer filler years ago and it went off rock hard, so hard I'm glad I didn't have to flat it for the top coat.
    But I'm happy to be proved wrong...

8. Once the temperature drops too much the hardener reaction stops, and doesn't restart.

9. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    The paint did go hard, after about a month. I think what was happened was I had the place too warm, sprayed the paint on too heavy and a skin formed on the outside, not letting the paint beneath to harden properly.
    What I do now is spray a very light coat, so light you can still see the primer underneath, let it flash off for a good while and then cover it with a heavier coat. I also have the shed very warm, and warm the part being painted with a hot gun prior to painting.

10. Alnewbie New Member

Always thought that it was a. more difficult to put on than celly and b. Too risky health wise that is... Am I wrong?

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    its slightly differant to spray than celly but not hard to do

i agree if you can get hold of another compressor then use a airfed , nothing else comes close to 2k in durability

12. langy

langy langys rodshop

Old wives tales mate

13. langy

langy langys rodshop

Temp is pretty important, under 20c you can get problems, you should flat any primer for top coat otherwise it can have adhesion problems.

14. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    I tried the unibinder in primer and wasn't impressed, would rather use high build epoxy, it took ages to dry, could only sand it wet as it picked up on dry paper and was easily softened when over coated with solvent basecoat. I sanded it all off and started again and wouldn't use again.

15. Bobo Member

It was flatted, I just meant I didn't have to do it myself, fortunately...

16. lchris21

lchris21 Member

just about to use some of this Non-Iso paint and clear on a motorbike tank project.....

Couple of quickies....

On the Jawel website the mixing ratio is 2 parts paint, 1 part hardener then 15% thinner??? I'll be weighing it on a scale in a mixing cup, so am I right in thinking for example, if I had 200g paint +100g hardner, then 15% of the 300g would equal 45g of thinner???

Also I'll be painting over Lechler 29107 epoxy. Flat with 600??? then 3-4 coats basecoat. Will I need to flat the basecoat before applying the clear??

I'm aware its not going to be as good/fast as the Iso 2K, but I don't have the gear for this and value my health more than my paint job :D

17. langy

langy langys rodshop

Just use a mixing pot or stick would be easier.
    flat with 800 for COB
    apply basecoat, wait 10 mins and straight on with clear, you don't flat basecoat

18. lchris21

lchris21 Member

thanks.....

i've just got some disposable old cups i'm using, no graduations..

19. Draw some on then. By weight it will be way out.

20. Rabs Member

Bristol, England
    Cups are about 12p each from your local paint supplier.....got to be worth the time and expense to get some as paint is not cheap and getting mixing ratios could be a big problem.

monky harris likes this.
Advertisements