Isocyanate free 2k paint

1. lchris21

lchris21 Member

will get some, cheers.....
    just done a quick google and understand how to use em, seems straight forward...all good, but still a bit confused with the percentage bit??? how does that work....? is the 15% by weight? by volume?? or can you get cups with % thinners to add after the initial ratio is mixed....

2. Why would it be by weight? If your total mix of paint and hardener is 1 litre then you need 150ml of thinners for 15%.

Some cups have a line for thinners too. But its easy enough to work out.

3. lchris21

lchris21 Member

thanks. got some with % on as well.

4. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Thanks for the info on here...............Nice warm day, got stuck in. So thought I'd post up some pics of my efforts........first time ever painting with a gun. bit of orange peel, but not too bad. still got the clear to go on and got some decals to apply before the clear coat.

managed to get some bits land in the base coat, so will need to get those out before the clear and decals go on. any suggestions??? been reading up on de-nibbing etc?? 1200 grit?? scotchbrite??

Going to leave it harden for a few days before going at it??

IMG_5360.JPG IMG_5363.JPG

5. langy

langy langys rodshop

That looks to be straight colour to me ??? I thought you were using basecoat ???
    I would flat it with 800 grit and then apply decals, then dust on a fairly dry coat to seal in the decals, then clear as normal, then flat and re clear

6. lchris21

lchris21 Member

thats what I ordered?? that's the way it came out???................like I said all new to me this.......... still got the clear to go on. Is it supposed to be that shiny??

7. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    basecoat drys dull in a few minutes

have you mixed hardener with what you thought was base coat?

8. lchris21

lchris21 Member

9. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    the direct gloss bit gives it away , thats justs glossy paint

should work the same if you want to clear over it

10. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Looks like you have done a nice job there, Chris. I have been reading up on direct gloss, but found it hard to find online suppliers for it, so I will be interested in what you think about ease of spraying, finish etc. I have read a couple of comments about it not hardening properly so I would be interested in how you find the finish after a few days.

There was a thread a while ago on Detailing World, where one of the pro painters had been clearcoating direct gloss, that might be worth a read:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=360343

11. lchris21

lchris21 Member

I flatted it back today with 800 as per Langy's recommendation. seems plenty hard.........decals and clearcoat next

12. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    intresting that its hardened off well , most people seem to have thiers stay soft

is it fully hardened ? can you dig your nail in it ?

13. lchris21

lchris21 Member

all good:D

14. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Non-iso clear coat went on better than I hoped......

gonna leave this to harden for a good while before flatting and compounding.

Nothing to compare to, as I've not used normal 2k paint before, but my experience of the Non-iso has been pretty positive, and I'm still breathing on 2 lungs :)

IMG_5388.JPG IMG_5394.JPG IMG_5403.JPG

15. zx9

zx9 Member

That is looking very good.

16. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah looking good , could you please report back how hard its gone after a few days /weeks etc as others have said thiers stayed soft

17. lchris21

lchris21 Member

will do.

going to leave this a good few weeks as the temps, as you know have gone down a fair bit in the last few days. was doing this at 15 deg this afternoon. Pre-warmed the clear-coat and tank a bit to help before shooting it.

on a side note I had a bike sprayed a few years back by a local guy and the clearcoat was soft for months, I don't know what he used??? I still have the bike and you can see where the clear coat deformed under some of the panel screws...............I've got till next spring before this is on the road, hope its hard by then :doh:

18. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah the staying soft bit puts me off trying it as often you need to be refitting glass or trims asap and soft paint wouldnt be helping it

19. lchris21

lchris21 Member

we live and we learn.................update on the non-iso paint.

Couple of days after laying down the clear I noticed a few "leathery" looking patches beginning to appear. These became more pronounced as the week went on. The clearcoat was still soft after 5 weeks even though the tank had been curing in the house all this time. It had also started to shrink round certain areas of the decals around the edges. I did a little test flatting back but it looks like the basecoat was also effected, so it would have never looked right.

I'd did lots of research, mixed and applied as per the data sheets, but it was still disappointing yesterday applying the stripper :dontknow:

Its not put me off, as I quite enjoyed the painting process and was happy with the way it went on. I'll probably have a go with the nasty 2K stuff next time but invest in some proper PPE to do it.

I had a crack, didn't work out, time to move on............tank is now with a local painter ready for the proper stuff :D

Anyway on with the pics:doh:

• IMG_5606.JPG
    • IMG_5615.JPG
    • IMG_5623.JPG
  20. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    thanks for the update , are you planning to speak to who sold it to you ? doesnt sound fit for sale does it

Advertisements