Hunslett shunter

1. mechman Member

I was looking for info on the loco but it's very poor, where do you find your info?:dontknow:

2. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Antipodean Tinkerer

• 29CE4CF3-DA1A-40E5-B1DD-F7E5481C5903.png
  3. mechman Member

The one we have is indeed the colonel B and have the name plates to go with it.

4. mechman Member

Think the dash could do with a bit of TLC will put it on the list. It should be able to pull that 477 as honestly speaking the Loco's done sweet FA when it started there was a very slight puff of smoke and then nothing, so I'm assuming both hour and mileage gauges are correct.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  5. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Antipodean Tinkerer

I think they used to get IWB Cargowaggons in there. Not really taxing work as you say... did you have a play driving it around?

6. mechman Member

No, apart from being well hemmed in the air brake system needs a good checking over the safety valve is blowing constantly and the manual brake doesn't lock the wheels up tight. The list is getting longer, but I only visit 1day a week, yesterday was an exception.( It's a 44 mile round trip to get to it but nothing compared to what some of the volunteers travel and more regular than me)

7. mechman Member

P1010158.JPG The charging system isn't working, nothing coming out of the dynamo checked brushes etc and it's brand new in there so i'll hand that over to someone else. P1010157.JPG

8. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Looks like the fuse has gone on the black power wire.

Colin

9. mechman Member

We thought that as well but on removal it was found to be intact. On the camp site behind the loco as luck would have it were some guys who were racing an outfit at Cadwell, the side car passenger ( a Belgian Chap) got his services volunteered by the driver(English) as he was some kind of wizard with electrickery anyway he checked it over,( engine running ) and verified nothing coming out of dynamo. By this time it was nearly beer o,clock so we cleared up and I went for a pint with them, It was good crack so the day didn't turn out to :)badly.

slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  10. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    It looks like the blown fuse is labelled "Field" which would explain lack of output.

11. mechman Member

The fuse wasn't blown #49 it just looked like it had, both checked.

12. mechman Member

Could the dynamo lose its magnetism or whatever?

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

theres field coils and armature. strip it and check the carbon brushes

14. mechman Member

Carbon brushes look new same as commy all looks clean as a whistle. It's off the loco now going to get checked, can see an alternator on the horizon.

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

the voltage regulator could be a culprit if the dynamo is ok

16. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, A quick and dirty way to check the dynamo is good is to put power into it and it should motor round.

Colin

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Yes, you re-magnetise by 'flashing the field'. You simply connect the earth and the touch the field coils to 12V, needs to be the right polarity (pos or neg earth, a lot of old stuff was positive earth).

mechman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  18. mechman Member

If the dynamo spins is it a positive indication that it's OK?:dontknow:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  19. If the windings were goosed then it couldn't turn.

You can re-magnetise the field windings in a generator set by spinning the wheel of a grinder that's plugged in. I wonder if you could do something similar with a dynamo? The guy in the first video demonstrates it whereas the second one just describes the method.

20. mechman Member

Watched that first vid and it looks as though constantly having a Fag on could be the answer.

Advertisements