Hunslett shunter

1. gav0994 Member

Thought as much! I'm the guy behind the Scottish Industrial Railway Centre facebook updates. I'm the "Engineering Director" on the Board of the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group. It was the Shed 47 weekly updates that led to me doing similar for our place.

You guys are doing an awesome job there and made a big change to the place in the last year.

mr migwire likes this.
  2. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

Thats good to know Gav, I'm the guy behind the shed 47 updates, although i have passed the sunday update on to one of the other volunteers, i just do the Wednesday and any others ad hoc now and Robin does Sundays. keep up the good work, im sure some of our membership will be down for a visit this season.

gav0994 likes this.
  3. gav0994 Member

Excellent! Are you the owner of the series 3 in British Railways livery? Its a smart looking wee Landy whoever owns it!

mr migwire likes this.
  4. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

yep thats mine, my S&T bus,

5. gav0994 Member

I've got you on FB, thought it was you. You had a good day today for your first openday of the season.

mr migwire likes this.
  6. mechman Member

The Hunslet is running ok but doesn't show charge on tick over, as soon as the revs increase the charge is good as its a slow running engine, so I was talking to a guy the other day, ( he has several pieces of old plant with the same type on engine in them and he said he had changed the ingn warning light in one of them for a brighter one (by accident) and now it charges on tick over, nothing to lose but I've never heard of that one. The dark arts are for those that know.

7. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Supplies more current to the field windings via the warning lamp causing the regulator to close earlier (or maybe stay closed). Nice one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. jimbo84 Member

Had similar on a mates canal boat, LED battery warning light, no charge, fitted a proper bulb and charging followed.

9. mechman Member

This has been converted to alternator charge whether it makes any difference I know not.

10. RWD3M Member

Could it be down to the speed of rotation of the alternator?

Perhaps a different pulley(s) is(are) needed?

11. mechman Member

The pulley is the smallest one available (due to width of belt I believe)but as stated it's a slow running engine. The tick over can be increased but that creates another problem getting it into gear.

12. RWD3M Member

Oh Bu99er!

Advertisements