Hunslett shunter

1. mechman Member

Bit of a project, I've been asked to have a go at getting this running. It's believed to be the only one left of its size in the country, may be even further afield. It has a 4cyl Dorman engine in it. Built 1961. Gave it a medical today. Smashed fuel filter, water pump shot, and core plug leaking, good news engine not seized. P1010127.JPG P1010128.JPG

2. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Interesting where is it located atm?

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Did you get any pics with the covers off?.

ronan likes this.
  4. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

The welding forum could adopt it for boys weekends away....:drunk:....:whistle:

5. mechman Member

Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

steviec_lj likes this.
  6. mechman Member

sadly it started to rain quite heavily (or words to that effect) after I gained access to the innards, will post some next time I'm there.

7. mechman Member

Forgot to mention that It's controlled by standing on the running boards ( either side ) and using the controls (duel )inside the cab doors ( either side)

Dieselkid 63 and zx9 like this.
  8. Dutch Welder Member

That would probably be a hefty fine nowadays.

9. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

should be able to get bits, I have a feeling we may have the manual for that engine at work somewhere, or at least one very similar

10. mechman Member

keep forgetting to take a pic of that Cummins turbo engine for you.

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  11. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

To stand on the running boards? I dunno... shutters here in NZ are all remote control, the shutter stands either at the front of the loco on a running board by the buffers, or he can stand on an intermodal wagon whilst operating the controls from a box. We still have rail ferries so there’s a lot of marshalling involved at Wellington.

12. mechman Member

You have to look at the year of manufacture.

13. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Do you happen to know who the original customer was? A lot of them were built customer specific, as they found their way into coke works, mines, steel mills etc. There used to be a pair of the Hunslet 0-6-0 type at Peak Forest but I’ve read they’ve since been moved elsewhere. A few also lurk at CF Booth in Rotherham, towing other trains to be cut up.

14. mechman Member

I'll ask about original customer next Tuesday. I generally only go once a week, I'll also be taking more pics of the work in progress.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  15. Matrixx

Matrixx Member

Rollo are a good source of engine parts, for bigger engines anyway i.e. ships/generators, Deutz, Paxman, Rolls Royce, Cummins, MAN, MTU, Scania, Volvo, Perkins, etc

16. mechman Member

The engine that's in it is 4cyl Dorman-- type----4LB----- serial No 66??8, the id plate is quite clear I'm just going off memory with serial No.

17. Tinbasherdan

Our boss has some service bulletins for that engine he can scan for you if you want

18. mechman Member

Tinbasherdan. I think they have some paper work on the loco but I've never seen it (It'll be in the same place as last years snow man) so I'll take you up on your kind offer. Haven't forgot the Cummins photo(Yet)

19. Tinbasherdan

No worries he will do it over the weekend. If you pm me your email address I’ll forward them on

20. mechman Member

P1010135.JPG P1010136.JPG P1010138.JPG Here's a few more pics I've taken her topless. one of the pics shows the snapped filter bowl bolt one 0f the lads is knocking one up (3/8"BSF X 4"with a circlip groove in it) P1010130.JPG P1010131.JPG

• P1010137.JPG
Advertisements