Hunslett shunter

1. mechman Member

P1010151.JPG P1010152.JPG P1010153.JPG OK Lads the latest on the Hunslet.
    Fixed the first fuel filter to find the fuel lines blocked, blew them all out. next up to the fuel filters on the block to find the first bleed screw was held in with PTFE tape no threads in the filter body at all. So tapped out to 3/8 BSF. Boxed it all up today and turned the Key and the starter tried (duff battery) so another battery and same thing, both batteries checked and both duff, both Yuasa and both 8 year sold so coat on time till next week. In the pics are the 2 gauges, hours and miles, unbelievable eh.

• P1010150.JPG
    Bob Rivers, zx9 and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  2. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Antipodean Tinkerer

Love this little project. I suppose the shunter would have been trapped within the confines of a carriage shed/depot or an industrial railway system but those numbers do look low... could it have gone around the clock? :D

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

First time I've seen a speedo that show forward and reverse speeds :D

rtcosic likes this.
  4. mechman Member

Dieselkid63 It was used in the Ciby Gigy plant now Novartis (Grimsby) Not that big. I've worked there myself on and off over the last 15 or so years and only road transport in there. We've actually had Loco's donated from companies alongside them

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  5. mechman Member

The zero is exactly right at the moment.

6. mechman Member

Also discovered (first time in cab)it is 2 speed forward and reverse, slow and not quite as slow.:)

Matrixx and Robotstar5 like this.
  7. mechman Member

What battery
    Engine spec. Dorman 4Cyl diesel, 6.4 Litre (just under) 74 BHP at 1800 REVS. It's a fair size lump. What size battery (amp hrs etc) should it have? it looks as though it's only had 1 battery on it. ( think I'm close with engine spec).

8. Matrixx

Matrixx Member

any info on the starter motor?

9. mechman Member

Can't ID it till next week. That's a lump as well. It's on one of the pics but can't get spec off pic.

Matrixx likes this.
  10. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, That looks like a CAV starter. They can sometimes be a bit temperamental, Is it throwing in OK.

Colin

11. mechman Member

Yes I'm sure It's a CAV the injector pump is as well. It engages ok there just isn't enough oomph behind it. Both batteries were showing very week on the battery tester, and that was after charging.

12. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

think these engines were used in Ruston Rb22 cranes

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  13. Dieselkid 63

For those interested, this is a Hunslet Yardmaster locomotive, rather rare even when new. A few sold - Express Dairies had one:

https://goo.gl/T4QCUZ

So did Fison's Fertilisers:

https://goo.gl/M1wXeA

Andrew Barclay had one too:

https://goo.gl/MkECc2

And of course Ciba at Grimsby. Apparently a scrapyard had one and one worked by the Tees transporter bridge. That's all I can find though.

That last link says it can pull 477 tons max on the level. Impressive for the size, given it only weighs 13 tons.

14. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

check the brushes are free they will be stuck if its been lying around a long time

15. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

My local heritage railway charge 160 to drive the train under supervision ... about an hour / hour qtr from end station - end station ... always fancied a crack but never liked the price ...

Also you can be the coal shoveler on the same journey ... that’s only 120 ...

Local railway is East Lancashire railway and all prices are off memory

Malc

Edited to add ... reminds me a bit of a scrap heap challenge team that never was ...

(Insert Robert lewewllyn’s voice)
    The Hunslet Shunters ... a team of bodgers , salvagers and general all round make it work or make something to work ... team captain Mechman bodger chief extraordinaire.....

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

wouldn't pay that for a go on one I used to drive the 5inch gauge halton tank loco at the Teesside model club free :laughing:same as this one

17. gav0994 Member

Plenty of folk are more than willing to pay that amount and substantially more to have a turn at driving or firing a steam loco or heritage diesel loco. Its how alot of heritage railways make plenty of extra money.

18. mechman Member

Think It's £30 to ride the footplate on the LWR.

19. mechman Member

P1010156.JPG P1010154.JPG P1010155.JPG The latest is It's running (sweet as) a few snags (where's the fun without them) and a few pics, It's running in the pics.

Ian James, decca and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  20. Dieselkid 63

I was reading the doors are a later addition as it was meant to be driven from the footplate, as you say! I wonder if it can still pull its original rating of 477 tons (on the level)...

Advertisements