Help me spray on a budget!

1. The only sensible option is to do nothing yet. cover any bare metal then forget it until the summer.

Shedendman and steveo3002 like this.
  2. jordan1 Member

Ok, a suitable paint then at a more suitable time of year. Still worth a consideration in his situation.

3. hooblah Member

south london
    I've got etch primer kicking about so I'll use that. Its currently 1 degree c outside and it will probably rain, and I think the only good day I've got for the next few days is tomorrow. Etch primer isn't porous is it?

4. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yes...just put any thing gloss over it , poundland do gloss aerosols

5. hooblah Member

south london
    Ok thanks.

6. hooblah Member

south london
  7. Stop trying to do everything on the cheap. Epoxy primer is 2k. You can't buy the proper stuff as 1k.

8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Yes, single pack paints are never as good and won't be as tough and durable. Jotamastic 80 is cheaper per litre and will be 10 times better and is wintergrade: https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/primers/jotamastic-range/jotamastic80_wintergrade

9. hooblah Member

south london
    Ok but that means I need the breathing equipment, right?

So I've been offered the space to paint the van in a shed, sort of. The shed isn't big enough to accommodate the van lengthways, so the plan is to erect a tent within the shed that goes outside the door and covers the entire van. The tent will be heated. Water traps will be installed in the line and at the gun. Can anyone see any problems with this?

I may as well start cutting out all the rot and welding in new bits if that's the case.

I've been trying to clear all my side projects so I can focus on my main project, and just when I thought I'd got them out of the way, a new side project comes along. Fml.

10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

No Jotamastic 80 does not contain isocyanates so you don’t need an air fed mask, just a filtered mask will be fine.

11. hooblah Member

south london
    Great. I'll update with pics as I go along.

12. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

when I painted my van, I used Jotun conseal touch up.
    good down to about freezing point.
    I put it on with a foam gloss roller - except for the last panel when it was getting dark, and I accidentally used a fluffy emulsion roller. that didn't work out too well. :ashamed:

it tidied it up - a *lot*! and didn't look at all "pikey" - more a matt custom job.

bodge job for wheel arches to get a couple more years out of a "scrapper" is to grind back all the rust, lather with hi-zinc primer.
    then a can of expanding foam.cut to shape, cover with filler.
    also works on the bottom of doors, and to replace missing bumper end caps. :cool::whistle:

slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  13. hooblah Member

south london
    Ok so 6 months later and it's time for an update... The rain let up and I finally got round to squirting celly all over it. A few runs but not too bad. Even managed a cheeky mk7 conversion thanks to @HughF ;)
    Thanks goes to everyone for the help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HughF and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

You've got same booth as me.

hooblah and HughF like this.
Advertisements