Help me spray on a budget!

1. You would be better off daubing epoxy primer over the exposed metal and waiting until it warms up. There is no way you will get an acceptable job in the winter. Strip it all off again to clean up and then you can re-paint.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    you'l be about to learn about blooming and micro blistering then

eil and octo0072000 like this.
  3. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

what's the odds that the celli will react with whatever already been painted on the van from memory it will need a full coat of sealer before painting it with celli
    long time ago since i did any painting

Daz2012 likes this.
  4. Van will have had 2 pack originally. Cellulose or acrylic will be happy over that.

5. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    An old van could have had any number of paint jobs with all kinds of different paints.Who's to know.
    I can't see this coming out well if I'm honest but good luck mate

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

As said by Daz it's what has been painted on it since new as in touch up accident damage rattle cans etc that's the problem

7. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    How much did they rush you for the cellulose pal? I'd take it straight back and get synthetic from Jawel off ebay (their current batch of synthetic is very good, has excellent coverage)

8. hooblah Member

south london
    I did think about leaving it primered for now, but I need to park it on the road and it would just be an eyesore with patches of primer everywhere. You reckon I should just epoxy primer the whole van so it's one colour? May as well paint it if I'm going to do that. And surely the anti bloom thinners helps in cold and wet weather?

I think it might have seen a bit of paint at some point, but not all over. There's evidence of overspray so who knows.

I bought 2l of celly and 5l of anti bloom thinners. They mixed it up for me so I'm not sure if I can take it back. It was something like 13.40+vat per litre.

9. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

use white epoxy primer?

10. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    If you don't use epoxy primer on the bare metal/filler repairs it will rust and you'll have to start again...cellulose and 2k primers are porous,epoxy isn't.
    2 litres of cellulose is not enough,probably need double that

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    anti bloom thinners is for say a cool spring morning not outside on a winters day

if i had to do something then heatgun each bare spot until its warm to the touch and then brush something on ...as said lots of primers are pourous and little use on thier own ....could just rattle can on some cheap white over the spots ...but anything needs to be put over warm and dry steel

12. dannyp Member

Been there done it like that. Scrapped the truck in the end,

Can’t skimp on everything regularly dust over vans well used to, It’s 2 days and 300 quid of material to do a manageable job for a van.

The way your going you want a crazy fast air dry enamel. Fill the van with heaters shut all the doors and just blast it with a hvlp turbine gun. Chould allways fo it digger style and grease the bits you don’t want paint on and pressure wash after it will loom rough mind

HughF likes this.
  13. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    Actually that's quite a good suggestion from dannyp.
    If you really must paint it in this weather....and I would suggest you don't... warming it up from the inside would be better than nothing

14. HughF

HughF Member

Hvlp turbine gun is 29 quid off eBay and eliminates the water/oil issues you'll have with a compressor powered gun in this weather.

15. hooblah Member

south london
    Thanks guys, that's most helpful.

I can't return the paint so I may as well use it. How long will it keep for?

So you're saying I should heat each area before I epoxy primer them?
    I don't have epoxy primer to hand and it's not available in spray cans from any shops. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the paint shop tomorrow, so if I just whack on some standard white paint without primer over any bare metal and filler, would that be enough to protect it for 6 months?

Hugh I have water traps on the compressor and on the gun. Is that good enough?

16. HughF

HughF Member

You'll need some primer on there pal, I'd go with some flag brand metal primer from Toolstation, cheap, slap it on with a brush

17. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    halfords etch primer and a can of gloss something

18. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

19. jordan1 Member

Have you thought about applying your paint with a suitable roller, I've read somewhere that an acceptable finish can be achieved.

20. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    not cellulose and not in winter

ajlelectronics likes this.
Advertisements