Help me spray on a budget!

1. hooblah Member

south london
    Lol £9 for the hardener and £11 for postage. Kinda expensive when I only need 250ml.

2. ukracer Forum Supporter

Not at all....its all well and good requiring safety equipment but the latest paints are getting more and more dangerous.

3. hooblah Member

south london
    I saw a previous thread by HughF where he used 2k hardener with synthetic paint. Has anyone else tried this?

4. keithski122 Member

uk
    If you have breathing equipment I wouldn't bother with synthetic myself, go in with 2k.

5. hooblah Member

south london
    Unfortunately I don't. Would it be expensive?

6. hooblah Member

south london
    Yep too expensive :laughing:

I'll consider it for future jobs though.

7. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    cheap HVLP turbine gun (spray tan style) - synthetic paint...

Use the turbine because: warm air dries the pain faster, less overspray, no need for a reg/oil+water seperator

8. hooblah Member

south london
    I'm trying to cut costs here, not increase them lol. I guess £20 for hardener is cheaper than £100 for a turbine sprayer...

9. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    the bad stuff is in the hardener , so if youre prepared to mix it with some random paint , might as well order the proper 2k and take the advantage of using it

10. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
  11. hooblah Member

south london
    I went to a paint shop earlier. I went for the cheapest option which was an industrial cellulose. I bought 2 litres along with anti bloom thinners. At 1:1 that gives me 4 litres. That should be enough, right?
    I'll put some pics up soon.

12. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    are you doing the roof or leaving it...alot of paint there for something you never see

13. hooblah Member

south london
    I haven't actually had a good look at the roof yet, but I do know there's a bit of rust on it, and a dent right by the windscreen.

14. HughF

HughF Member

Brush the roof with some Dulux or similar household gloss

bigegg likes this.
  15. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    or brush in the rust spots with a brush and whats left over ?

16. HughF

HughF Member

Depends how well it covers and how much body is in it. Personally I'd have used synthetic and blown over one coat. You would have got the coverage and gloss in a single coat. Unlikely with cellulose.

postie jon likes this.
  17. hooblah Member

south london
    Yes that sounds like a plan. I was thinking of leaving it til the summer to tackle it, haven't quite decided yet. It's already taking quite some time to do the prep. I don't like the idea of going all this way to end up with a crap result, so I'm putting in the time to get it right.

I ground down any rust spots (there were lots) and went over the whole van with a 40 grit on a DA today. It hasn't torn up the paint, in fact it's left it quite smooth.
    I ground back most of the visible rust on the arches. One of them is quite badly perforated and will need a new section welding in. However I had the idea to brush both sides with por 15 and then using fibreglass filler on the back, and body filler on the outside. Good idea?
    On the other arches, I was thinking of doing the same with the por 15, but skipping the filler and then simply painting over it. Will that look bad after the paint goes on?

20181211_162604_HDR.jpg
    20181211_162729_HDR.jpg

18. bert Member

Ideally you need to get to 400 before putting the paint on. After priming I use 800 before the base goes on.

19. hooblah Member

south london
    Noted, thanks.

A few questions about por 15 if anyone is able to answer them :
    Is it sandable?
    Can I paint over it?
    Can I body filler over it?

20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It’s expensive rubbish.

steveo3002 and ajlelectronics like this.
Advertisements