Help me spray on a budget!

1. And unsuitable for that application. Epoxy primer is the correct choice.

2. hooblah Member

south london
    So epoxy stops rust completely? Can I paint it onto rust?

3. Nothing stops rust apart from removing it.

steveo3002 and Burdekin like this.
  4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Is this a job to bodge everything and sell on to some other poor person with a load of hidden horrors?

5. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yes you can

as said its expensive rubbish - not really suitable for what you want

you seem to be fighting against all the advice youre given ? using 40 grit all over was a big mistake

6. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Having now seen the van I think its probably better to Artex it :scared:

Bob

bigegg, Shedendman and octo0072000 like this.
  7. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    they do stonechip in white lol

bigegg likes this.
  8. hooblah Member

south london
    Haha. The van is in a family friends garden, I don't want to overstay my welcome so I'm trying to knock it out as quick as possible, welding on new arches is time consuming. The van needs a lot of work in other areas, to the point that I'd be better off buying another one. I'm happy to take shortcuts if they last a couple of years. I know it's a pos, but I want to be able to use it for business use and not look like a complete pikey. So with regards to the arches, I want to know how I can best bodge them? I can always do the job properly at some point in the future if need be.

The paint was covered in a lot of Jabberwocky. I think it's been sitting around for a long time. The 40 grit was quite a worn pad but has removed a lot of it, I don't think it's left anything rough. I'll go over it again with a few different grades just to be sure.

9. optima21 Forum Supporter

I tried POR15 many years ago, to say I was diasppointed with it was an understatment, epoxy primer is a better product (based on personal experience)

10. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Best way to bodge the arches - grind the rust out from the outside, quick brush of some zinc primer onto there (toolstation), throw some chopped strand in there.

You'll be back in there within 2 years at which point you can do the inners and outers properly...

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    sand the arches to clean metal with a grinder , fill in holes with fibre glass filler , grind that to shape then body filler to smooth it

needs to be finished all over in 400...by which time you will be down to the primer and find your celly wont cover ...the snth was a better idea for a banger

12. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Na, I wouldn't bother with 400 - just give it a wash and a quick rub with a green pan scourer...

In fact, I'd white stonechip the bottom half of the van anyway

13. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    i said red scotch pad and soapy water earlier but he's gone ahead and 40 gritted the whole van now

people ask for help then do whatever they wanted anyway

14. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

By the look of the van a tin of dulux and roller and brush for the awkward bits would make it look better
    your not going to get a good result trying to spray it outside in this weather and going over it with 40grit was a
    NO NO

15. hooblah Member

south london
    I was aiming to get rid of all the Jabberwocky stuck to the paint... Seemed like a good idea at the time. I can see a few marks now it's daytime but I don't think it's done too much damage. I've got a load of fillering to do so I'll go over it all again by hand if I have to. I did buy red scotchbrite to go over it with, so I didn't completely ignore the advice :whistle:

16. hooblah Member

south london
    You live and learn. I've never done any real bodywork so I'm learning as I go. I'd rather screw up on this than on something I care about.

17. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    its not bad advice really...i think you might as well brush paint it as cheap as you can and call it a day , it wont ever look good

18. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

have a look on you tube roller painting your van loads of videos
    but your main problems is winter needs hot weather for painting
    cold ice weather will not be good as it will take days to dry you will need to keep the rain and frost off while paint drying

19. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    even the night time dew will ruin paint ...simply not suitable to paint outside in winter

20. hooblah Member

south london
    I've already bought the paint so it's a bit late to be changing the plan now. I've got a 9m x 3m tent to paint under when it comes to it.

Advertisements