Harrison M250 Restoration

1. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Thanks @mylesdw thats really useful. Interestingly the two big tool holders it came with had large discs with bearings that looked like they should fit in a recess but they are too large for the lathe. When I first looked at this I assumed it would be an arrangement like yours but when I got hold off the parts diagrams it doesn't indicate a washer, the tool holder fits straight on (or at least thats what it looks like). I need to do something, not sure whats easier - create a recess like yours in the holder and a thick washer or as I planned take some off the bottom so the tool holder fits into the recess. something to ponder hmmmm

When I get back home next week this is next on my mechanical list to address. Need to get the VFD boxed up as well.

2. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Back home for a few days and decided to sort the tool post so made a post holder for the old toolpost so I can use it to cut the new toolpost:

2F3EA46A-34A4-4A8E-A9FA-AEF0730273BA.jpeg

Mounted the toolpost and got it as true as I could, I still struggle using the indicators but getting quicker.

158EC67F-6324-4F3E-B758-92D7CC702B7D.jpeg

Cutting went ok, it was noisy on the edges! got it done in half a dozen light passes

C239E584-B381-4A29-AD4C-9D6F213D1AC9.jpeg

Fit’s nice and snug, just need to tidy up the edges but another job off the list :-)

6827B658-E037-4692-80EE-E835F674A228.jpeg

slim_boy_fat, zx9 and Brad93 like this.
  3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Is that generic Chinese toolpost?

4. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Yep a Chinese cheapo one, I got the toolpost from arc euro and the holders from banggood.

It’s the 250-200 size, holders are 250-201 for standard through -207 for parting, boring etc.

Seams sturdy enough for me so far.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Fair play, you've come long from starting with an incomplete lathe

6. Carl Wilson Member

Great work. Nice die holder in your tailstock. Home made?

It's brilliant to see how far your project has come.

7. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Thanks guys, I'm starting to enjoy using it rather than restoring it which is nice :-) loads to learn but all these tiny jobs are teaching me something every time. Need to crack on with the VFD enclosure next and get all the wiring made good.

re the die holder its been given to me by a friend. Its a small one for 1inch die I will be making some adapters and maybe a better handle. I decided to use it for the M10 thread
    just to have a go and I made use of the jog doing it too :-). I cut the m16 thread using the lathe.

slim_boy_fat and Brad93 like this.
  8. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Had to use my sheet bender to do a favour for a friend tonight and got side tracked afterwards making some organisation accessories for the lathe. Ill spray them to match when I paint the VFD enclosure.

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Should stop me piling things up on tray base was getting very messy.

9. Carl Wilson Member

Very good. Think I might be copying those ideas!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Not had much time lately, made a start of the VFD enclosure tonight. Its a heavy duty steel Schneider enclosure, I'll be taking advantage of the VFDs thermal design by mounting it sideways to create the right air flow as per spec, there will be a fan at the top left of the enclose that will turn on when the VFD heatsink hits 85% thermal capacity and air intake on the bottom left - both will be filtered. It is handy having a lathe, I turned some custom standoffs for the VFD mounting plate in under 10 mins something that normally means a purchase :-). The Heavy Duty Brake Resistor is mounted on the outside and I made a cover to protect it. Now the main fabrication is done I can paint it to match the lathe then properly install and wire it all up.

Below final position of components. High voltage cables will be routed up the rear of the VFD between the standoffs and all the control cables will be to the front to avoid interference. It's just the contactor and a 12v Transformer on the DIN rail which will power the Enclosure Fan and the Spindle Tacho.
    IMG_1926.jpg

Knocked up a basic cover to protect the resistor.
    IMG_1929.jpg

All mounted, painting next.

IMG_1931.jpg

Carl Wilson likes this.
  11. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Box painted and mounted, Kopex gland holes and Fan holes next.

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

Farside, slim_boy_fat and Carl Wilson like this.
  12. Carl Wilson Member

Looks the business.

13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Agree, the one for the holders looks favourite, thanks @R-D-R :thumbup:

14. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I have one similar, but bolted through the top edge of the splash back. Though when I working I use a roll cab pulled out with a plastic tray from a cafe on top, stops small drills and stuff rolling away into swarf. Also somewhere for the cup to stand.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Got a pic [or two]? "Adopt, Adapt, Improve" as the Round Tablers would say ;)

16. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

How do you even learn how to do this stuff? I’m dumbfounded when it comes to electrics, I would love to build an enclosure like that but I just have no clue as to where to start.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  18. RichardM Member

Enclosure - just a thought with the braking resistor adding to the heat, will there be enough though flow of air to keep the vfd cool?

19. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Computer fan!

20. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I was worried about the Resistor producing heat, for the use I have given it so far its never got even warm. I did choose to mount it on the outside to be safe and then I have added a computer fan to the top to draw air out of the enclosure. This fan will be controlled by the VFD and programmed to kick in when the heatsink hits 85% of its max working temperature.

Modified the top plate to take the fan

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

mounted on the box
    IMG_1949.jpg

there will be intake holes at the bottom protected by a filter.

Carl Wilson and dobbslc like this.
Advertisements