Harrison M250 Restoration

1. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I was in a conundrum with how to handle the jog direction and decided on this to keep the panel simple , I can set it up like that if I need. Plan is with this mock panel to use it in anger whilst I learn the lathe and tweak so it gives the optimal user experience before commiting to having the final panel printed. I haven't tapped much on lathe I made a knob the other day with an M8 Tap and did it by hand which was fine I imagine I could have used the jog on it but small taps may well be unsuitable as you say.

2. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Thanks, just the Spindle speed display and switch for coolant to go on so I think there is more than enough room to spread the 6 on the right out a little more. The Slave panel is cute and means total access too all 300 odd parameters without going into the enclosure which is nice. It is IP55 rated but I think I'm going to look for an acrylic flip down cover for it, it will be flush mounted on the final panel.

Next jobs - add braking resistor and tune the braking performance, wire up the power on button.

3. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Where's dad?
    Where do you think he is? He's playing with the lathe again and he'll show us some pictures of buttons and knobs later

:laughing::laughing:

4. Carl Wilson Member

Sounds like my house. Except my youngest who is the only one still at home is usually in there with me.

R-D-R likes this.
  5. R-D-R Forum Supporter

My 11 year old daughter was helping me last night she filed the hole to fit the rj45 connector through for the Slave panel and stripped the wires for the lights.

Quite sad but we have a walkie talkies for communication around the property. I have one permanently in the garage And was answering my sons questions about homework as I was doing it.

The other daughter then came down for a demonstration of the buttons and was suitably impressed :laughing:

Mrs RDR still doesn’t understand why I want a machine that makes things round.

6. Carl Wilson Member

My daughter also likes being in the workshop. She helped me make a lead screw nut from acetal a while back. My youngest son loves it too.

zx9 and R-D-R like this.
  7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    These kind of things are not just about workshop time, it's also helps kids think things through which crosses over into other aspects of their lives.

When they get interested it's a double edge sword, I'll often get

"You could have have put this here and it would make this bit easier"
    "Haven't you got and any homework to do?" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

8. Carl Wilson Member

I agree 100% with that sentiment. Even if my son and daughter choose to do something different to engineering, they learn skills surrounding literacy, numeracy, problem solving and logical thought as well as a precise attitude when in the workshop.

My eldest son has no real interest in engineering. He has a history degree and is studying music now, he's a musician. He is very precise and methodical with his music and looks after his guitars incredibly well. He has them tuned to perfection. That attitude comes from the workshop.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I have one lasting memory of my daughter in the garage with me.
    She walsed through, saying, ah youve broke it. I had a load of bits that wouldnt go back together. I said come on then smart bottom...
    She picked the bits up, looked at them, 2 minutes later, there you go, and walked out!
    She did service her own bike too, till she sold it last year, least I managed to teach one of them something, I just dispair with the other, but we wont go in to that!

eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. Carl Wilson Member

Other daughter?

11. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Son....lets just say a complete muppet and leave it at that!

12. Carl Wilson Member

Okie dokie.

13. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Braking resistor plumbed in this evening and contactor arrangement added so I now have power on/off via the panel (top left button). This button lights from the contactor output feed to indicate the VFD and accessories (DRO,Cooolant pump etc) are getting power. The brake resistor has added significant oomph to the brake performance, its a chunky thing and can be seen to the left of the VFD which I may mount externally on the enclosure with a protective cover. Next job look at the potentiometer mounting and then the spindle Tacho.

Note there will be an isolation switch on the Enclosure.

IMG_1865.JPG

Dcal, Carl Wilson and addjunkie like this.
  14. Carl Wilson Member

Looking very good. I take it the RJ45 is for the vfd repeater panel?

15. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Yes, it uses standard cat5e patch lead.

16. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Not had much time this past week with work and family stuff, grabbed an hour or so this afternoon. Turned a replacement shear pin for the screw drive which went surprisingly well and fit first time ! its the most intricate thing I've done so far. Then as i'm back up and running screw cutting I turned a Tool Post mounting shaft from 20mm bar, simple design with M10 screw on one end to go into the lathe, a 16mm shaft and then a m16 thread for the hold down nut on top. It worked first time :laughing: Much sturdier now but will brave turning the base of the tool holder to fit the recess once i have a bit more experience .

I also cut out control panel 2.0 which has changes to the button layout to accommodate the Tacho screen (excuse the dodgy cutting) and also turned a 6mm extension for the Potentiometer shaft and got that fitting to the panel. The Pot has a centre detent which is calibrated to the standard running rate and then I've calibrated it to give +/- 25% speed either way. Once the Tacho is running ill recalibrate it to allow RPM shifts up and down too the next gear ratio.

new tool holding mount:

IMG_1869.jpg

control panel v2.0

IMG_1870.jpg

Carl Wilson and Dcal like this.
  17. Carl Wilson Member

Really nice work. Great to see you making progress.

18. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Is that the working height of the tool, looks low compared to the cross slide and size of the block

19. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Yep its on centre although the nuts loose in the pic as I was playing. It has to be pretty much rock bottom to be dead on centre. This is why I’m not worried about taking 5mm or so off the bottom of the tool holder to fit in the recess.

Brad93 likes this.
  20. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    This cross slide looks remarkably similar to the one on my Colchester and there should be a thick washer that sits in that counterbore with a similar cut-out on the underside of the tool-post. When I fitted a QCTP recently I had to get the underside counter-bored and at the same time I had the cross slide drilled and re-tapped to take the mounting bolt that came with the new tool-post.
    38072397_10217237182264219_1250594189108838400_n.jpg

R-D-R likes this.
Advertisements