Gertie the 73 VW T2 bay window

1. I am mate, but not been on there for some time due to the project stalling.

2. monky harris Member

Have a look
    there are some cracking restos underway..:welder:

3. :thumbup:

4. Wallace

Wallace Member

Nice to hear from you again. :D I rode one of the early CBR1000's a mate had new, didn't feel very fast to start with then I realised the power delivery just felt linear all the way through, the speedo told the truth though!

Exuptoy likes this.
  5. Cheers fella.
    Yeah the CBR is deceptive in that it starts to pull then just keep on pulling hard until you need another gear. There's no chance of losing the back end due to being overcome by the rush of power as it doesn't start pulling hard till around 5k. It's very user friendly, but heavy, although not so when on the move.

6. monky harris Member

How's the resto going..:whistle:
    @Exuptoy
    Mines well underway..

7. Still in the same state it was the last time I touched it.:laughing:

It'll get pucked up at some point. I need to get my R1 finished first and get some miles in then I'll have a look.:thumbup:

You have a thread @monky harris ?

8. Thinking of sticking this on the bay to free up some bread, Anyone have an idea of value? 1973 and tax exempt.

9. taxi ray Member

Might be better trying to sell it on one of the vw camper forums, as there is always someone looking for a project, and they tend to have a better idea of its true worth.
    Another option is to break it as some of the panels are expensive.

Exuptoy likes this.
  10. Went up the garage to tidy up and get it on its wheels then started cutting out rot and welding in fresh metal. :)

Hahaha.

• IMG_7094.JPG
    • IMG_7095.JPG
    • IMG_7097.JPG
    • IMG_7098.JPG
    • IMG_7100.JPG
    • IMG_7104.JPG
    • IMG_7105.JPG
    • IMG_7109.JPG
    • IMG_7110.JPG
    • IMG_7111.JPG
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  11. Fitted the rear most chassis outrigger

IMG_7114.JPG

Then cut a section from a spare top hat and fitted that which allowed me to fit the last jacking point.

IMG_7115.JPG

IMG_7118.JPG

Then stood looking at the end if the section I repaired yesterday thinking how could I get around removing the front beam as it isn't possible when it's on the roll over frame. Decided to chop out a section of the beam (it'll need replacing anyway as it's shot) and repair what lay underneath.
    Not pretty but it worked.

IMG_7121.JPG

Looking better already!

IMG_7123.JPG

slim_boy_fat, Wallace and zx9 like this.
  12. Wallace

Wallace Member

The selling price is rising by the hour! :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  13. ...and you know something......I enjoying it.:D

zx9 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. Today's instalment.

These parts are quite flimsy which meant lining up as I went.

Working towards the rear corner next, a couple of repairs then it can go back on its wheels. :)

IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7148.JPG IMG_7149.JPG

monky harris likes this.
  15. Don't suppose anyone has a front beam from a 70-79 bus laying around do they?

16. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I had to get one for mine, RHD ones that are rust free are stupid money. I was luck to find a LHD from a guy doing a narrow beam conversion. It's a completely bare unit and I'll have to move the servo bracket.

I haven't done it yet so technically it is laying around but you can't have it :laughing:

Exuptoy likes this.
  17. monky harris Member

Exuptoy likes this.
  18. Was thinking if painting my current work with Rustoleum but I do have some epoxy primer here.
    Anyone tried Rusto? EP is expensive.

19. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I've not used Rustoleum on a chassis but I have used quite a bit of it and I think it's way better than Hammerite, it goes on really well and it levels out really well. It is my go to metal paint.

Exuptoy likes this.
  20. What you used it on? Read a bit on the net that you can't paint anything over it as it's oil based?

Advertisements