Gertie the 73 VW T2 bay window

1. Doubt you'd have 3 phase at home dude. You could fit a 16A blue 3 pin one that'd be ok.

2. Basley Member

Southampton
    No I don't haha, I'll go ahead with the 3pin.

Need to find my SD card and get some pictures uploaded!

3. penybontboy New Member

Great post, great work, a real inspiration!

However, it's like reading a really good book to find the last chapter is missing...

Exuptoy, please tell us there's a happy ending!

Exuptoy likes this.
  4. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    The OP has gone AWOL. :(

5. Wallace

Wallace Member

My 3 guesses would be either ran out of metal, had a lax moment and ran out of talent on the EXUP or fixed the bay window and gone surfin' and is now so Duded up to the back 'nackers that the welding forum is a distant memeory. :)

6. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

or sold it and nothing else to post:D

Wallace likes this.
  7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

well he did ran out of talent on the GSXR 1000
    the rebuild is on going on here 15 pages also another link to a build forum looks like he got fed up with us lot

page 15 has pic's of crashed bike
    THIS IS HIS LAST POST on late bay

Can't believe I've not done anything since last May!! However I did run out of gas then sold my Triumph Speed Triple and bought a GSXR1000 then proceeded to throw it up the road big stylee then bought another which needed a little TLC, but thats long since where I want it to be.
    Just bought some gas 2 weeks ago then went to Benidorm for a week so I am now gonna get back into this bus this week or maybe next week with a bit of luck.

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/gertie-the-73-crossover-full-resto-and-it-needs-it.13255/

8. No happy ending as yet, not put a torch near it in 14 months! I will get back to it soon. Promise! ;)

just lost my way dude :lol:

Got loads of metal now and gas. I also sold my L322 Range Rover in September and bought a VW T5 and converted the back with a rock'n' roll bed and new flooring so had no spare time I did however run out of talent on my Gixer 1000 K3 too in September then bought a K5 1000 so never got much time last year then this year I got me some argo light then went on holiday to Bennidorm with a view to making a start when I got home..........Unfortunately I bought a 96 Mini Sprite so have been busy with that since. Too many toys :lol:
    I have to drop the rear subby and sort that for the MOT next month and once that's on the road I'll get back to it!
    See above ;)

Cheers for the shake up tho.

9. No chance.........The wife would kill me!

10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Too many projects doesn't always end well as life gets in the way and ruins it!

Rig Pig and Exuptoy like this.
  11. Well when I bought the K5 it was looking tired and sorry for itself at 20,000 miles. I stripped off the back end, powder coated the wheels white and fitted new bearings and tires, new chain and sprox, all the bodywork stripped off and detailed, quick shifter and power commander fitted and set up, top fairing repainted and new motorgrafix decals to the fairing. That's done, just need to ride it. T5 going in for cabinets and electrics in September, so it's only the mini really to do. Want 10 inch wheels with new 7.5 inch discs and calipers, new Mk1 grille and rear lights and new door cards and seats in the back so not a lot to do really.

12. This was my latest repair in 12 months, wanted to turn my mini bonnet into a Mk1 look so had to remove the lip. However the PO decided to fill the rust with fibreglass before painting so when the lip came off it was rotten!

Did a bit of this.

[​IMG]

Then this

[​IMG]

Then this.

[​IMG]

13. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

the mk 1 cooper s discs arn't much better than drums to be honest for the amount you would pay for them
    used to be able to get minifins drums alloy finned drums for mini

14. Wallace

Wallace Member

Weren't MG Metro Turbo discs and calipers the way to go?

15. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Hockley, Essex
    Excellent work. I admire your tenacity in the face of all that rust!
    Had a T2 camper (H-reg) years ago and the practicality and driveability were great - just the Popeye engine let it down.
    What are you going to put in it?

16. Cheers Bill.

A rebuilt 1671 hopefully, most parts there to rebuild it with new piston and pots.

The sprite has good 8.4 inch discs but I want 10" wheels so they need to be 7.5 or 7.9" discs. There is a mod to fit fiesta brakes too we'll see.

17. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Hockley, Essex
    Good luck. Envious.

18. Envious!!!! This may be a while yet:clapping:

19. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

just looked through this thread again and you wont ever be able to sell this at a profit if you work out the hours you will have put in by the end, but at least you know it will be solid

20. Not looking to sell on mate but to be honest, I've never valued my time when I build something. Stupid I know but if I pay £1000 for something and spend £2000 on parts etc and sell it for £5000 then I've made £2000. Makes me feel like I've made some money!
    I work 2 weeks on 2 off, and 2 on 4 off the next trip so my time isn't as precious or scarce as someone who works 9-5 all week and then works every other Saturday or something. I'm usually bored as the wife works during the week so it gives me something to do.

Advertisements