Freecycle Hauser Mill (small, very, very small mill)

1. zx9

zx9 Member

I forgot to add a photo of how it looks at the moment, no massive improvement yet but making progress with the de rusting.
    IMG_4525.JPG
    It is sat in an oil slick, I am trying to keep the damp at bay.

The cheese head fasteners at the ends of the slides are 2BA or possibly Thury which I learn was a Swiss thread the standards of which BA was based on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thury_thread which has a slightly different thread form so may account for the slight play in the fasteners.

2. zx9

zx9 Member

I need to make two replicas of the plastic handle seen above for the two missing control arms, what would be a good material to form on the lathe? Red delrin was I plan but I am open to other ideas.

3. Guzrik Member

Great project.
    POM if you can get it in red maybe, but Delrin will also outlast you and me.

zx9 likes this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Coming along nicely, I just looked back at the very first pic in the thread...what a difference :thumbup:.

I thought that handle was wood with a brass ferrule when I looked at the pic, would they have used plastic back in the 30s?

How about making all three from something like mahogany, then you'd have a proper matching set?

It shouldn't be a huge task (or expensive) for a 'wood-botherer' to turn the set? :dontknow:

5. MattF

MattF Member

Seems criminal to insult something like that with plastic handles. Go for hardwood or brass.

Hopefuldave, Guzrik and Screwdriver like this.
  6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    Perfect opportunity to show off some hilariously expensive exotic wood.

Hopefuldave, slim_boy_fat and MattF like this.
  7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

just to note you can do it in wood then coat it in resin should last a lifetime then

zx9 likes this.
  8. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

9. zx9

zx9 Member

The one remaining original handle is a red plastic material, I have seen them with handles re made in aluminium (the one @gaz1 linked to above ) but that to me does not look right and fitting though it would be easy to do. The two on Tony's site have a mixture of steel handles with plastic panels or turned brass. The pretty original one which is near identical to mine owned by https://www.instagram.com/horlogerie_dubuis/ has the same bronze cast arms with red plastic handles.
    No doubt over time they would have changed the material used but red plastic looks like the way it was made.

10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Lovely little machine, model makers dream.

MattF likes this.
  11. zx9

zx9 Member

It is, I don't really want it and would never have bought it.
    I will probably get it cleaned up and build a counter shaft / motor mount for it and move it on. Which is why I want to keep it as original as I can unlike the Drummond which I feel is mine so I can modify it or paint it metallic blue I don't have to please anyone else.

Wallace and MattF like this.
  12. zx9

zx9 Member

A good question, so I went looking, the history of plastics is older than I had thought.

1872 -PVC
    1889 - Celluloid
    1890 - Casein
    1898 - Polyethylene
    1907 - Bakelite
    1912 - Cellophane
    1930 - Neoprene
    1930 - Polystyrene
    1935 - Nylon
    1938 -PTFE

So yes plenty of plastics available to 1930's Swiss machine tool makers.

The above list are date of discovery / invention so commercial use may have been slightly later but non the less it was not just Bakelite the world has access to in the 30's.

Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. gaz1

gaz1 Member

14. zx9

zx9 Member

Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. zx9

zx9 Member

Almost spit my coffee out. https://pennyfarthingtools.co.uk/hauser-horizontal-vertical-mill/2020/09/08/

HowMuch 2020-11-01 174329.jpg

That would explain the Admiralty connection, and gives me more ideas for a counter shaft assembly but that is a ludicrous price.

Edit: Forget the price comment I've just seen what they have been selling for in Europe, admittedly with a full set of collets but E2000 to E4000. Collets are expensive but not a grands worth.

Wallace and Milkybars like this.
  16. zx9

zx9 Member

IMG_4533.JPG

That was after one etch primer and one coat of VHT wrinkle paint which went on last week end.
    If it warms up a bit this afternoon I will give them another coat of VHT.
    At the moment the finish is as I want in parts but it is not consistent.

slim_boy_fat, MattF and Seadog like this.
  17. zx9

zx9 Member

This afternoon's experiments with the VHT wrinkle paint.
    This time I warmed the metal with a fan heater, sprayed the paint and then put the fan heater back on the on the wet paint, as it has starting to form a skin I moved the fan heater closer which has formed a smaller more even pattern. I think I have got a finish that I am happy with on smaller parts but the larger bronze castings needed to be plied with a hot air gun to force a similar effect.

IMG_4537.JPG
    The paint is actually a nice solid black but does not photograph well that close up.

18. zx9

zx9 Member

Progress report on the little mill:
    Not a lot of progress in the last two months, I did find a photo of a similar mill that had been dismantled and have tried to scale missing parts for my mill from the dimensions of known parts. These are the two rods needed to control left to right movement of the milling table.
    IMG_4594.JPG

And my poor attempts at drawing up the parts needed.
    IMG_4595.JPG

Which I shall make from scrap steel strip to check dimensions before going to the effort of filing the correct profile into new material, all measurements in drawing in metric for convenience.
    I will check and update the fastener sizes as I go, they are a strange mix of BSW, BA and some odd ball ones, something I have got used to with the old Drummond though as Switzerland was entirely metric from 1868 who knows what was going on.

19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    Coming along nicely. :thumbup:

Wrinkle finish looks really good too. I wouldn't worry about any imperfections, the most important thing is that it weathers well and develops a "well used quality" look.

zx9 likes this.
  20. zx9

zx9 Member

Looks like my scaled measurements were a little off :)

IMG_4598.JPG

This was my mock up in scrap made to the drawing above, it works but I am loosing about an inch of travel to the left, mk11 version got back all but a 1/4" of travel on the left without loosing any on the right but I was on the limit of travel of the lever so more fine adjustments needed before I make the final version.
    I did think that the taper gib had somehow tightened whilst moving the table but it turned out to be the pivot between the two arms was binding, the bolt was tightening itself when the table was moved to the right. I was eventually going to make a shoulder bolt for the final version but this will now be made before any more adjustments to the arms are made.

MattF likes this.
Advertisements