Freecycle Hauser Mill (small, very, very small mill)

1. zx9

zx9 Member

It is missing among other parts the base plate or stand, I know that because it has the counterweight mechanism for the knee in the lower part complete with wire rope but no counterweight or any where for said counterweight to fall.

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    The lack of the oem badge also makes me suspicious. This may be the remains of a parts robbery. Beautiful little machine though...

eLuSiVeMiTe and zx9 like this.
  3. zx9

zx9 Member

And neither of them are any fun in this crowded corner of the world, I am seriously considering outing the very low mileage near mint ZX9 and getting a Z650 or something else you can thrash around on at less than warp speed. By Z650 I am thinking early 1980s, loud exhaust, bikini faring, metallic British racing green paint, the sort of bike I lusted after as a spotty teenager.

Ruffian, Nick DV, jerrytug and 5 others like this.
  4. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    I am still super happy with my old Gen1 Fazer thou. It just does everything I need and not too much of everything!

I have a brace of XT500s waiting for my mojo to kick back in and one of those will be just the ticket around here (no pun intended).

They just don't make 'em like they used to and while I am quite happy to learn a ferociously complex 3d program to play with plastic printing or cast a roving eye over interesting hobby CAD, there are PLENTY of people who would rather find themselves a decent, non-Chinese, old school quality milling machine - the smaller the better. I think that's where you scored big time with that beauty.

eLuSiVeMiTe and zx9 like this.
  5. zx9

zx9 Member

I've just clocked the price of 8mm collet sets.:o

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Come on, save us the Googling/eBay trawling. :D

7. MattF

MattF Member

You resisted mentioning the terrible pun. :D

zx9 likes this.
  8. zx9

zx9 Member

It would appear that there were various manufacturers providing near identical machinery to the horological workshops, nothing changes. Here is a similar machine made by Dixi https://gramho.com/media/2283388167063690559 I am still looking for pictures of one of the machines with a knee, Tony's site says that they would be used on a block to accommodate the knee travel but that would not allow room for the counterweight, the search continues.

Here is a Hauser with a knee all stripped down.
    https://gramho.com/media/2213459929546148220

Time to try to contact the owner of the Instagram account.

Milkybars likes this.
  9. zx9

zx9 Member

I have made some progress on the little mill.

IMG_4397TrialFit.JPG

Having managed to free off all the slides and remove the spindle, all not too difficult there was a layer of solidified oil on most of the sliding parts or some very light rust which was preventing movement of the ways. The solidified oil was easy to deal with as it dissolved in WD40, the rust on the ways I removed with an oil soaked rag the exception being the knee which was much worse and needed a well used green scotch bright pad and oil. The spindle is still coated in solid oil where it sits in the bronze bushes but has a thick layer of rust to the exposed surfaces the plan is to run that between centres in the lathe but that is for another day.
    IMG_4395kneeRack.JPG

Detail of rack and scraping on the knee, still a light surface rust in parts but I don't want to go at this with any thing too abrasive. The surfaces either side of the scraping are non contact so in time with be cleaned with wire wool and oil.

IMG_4396kneeAssembled.JPG
    Knee re fitted showing surface that meets the scraped surface in previous picture and the ways on which the across (wrong word I know but I can't think what direction that is x or y ?) slide rests, again with non contact surface nearest us.

IMG_4398Table.JPG

The rotary table to take a milling vice, I have not worked out what the damaged item is in the centre.

The milling slide should have an arm similar to the one that moved the spindle slide up and down though obviously it is of a different shape and has a different linkage. I will try to scale off the few photographs I have found of complete machines and draw up the missing parts then have a go at prototyping them just to get the geometry right then make new ones from steel ad aluminium not the cast iron and bronze of the original items.
    Other than that I am missing a couple of cheese head screws and the afore mentioned manufacturers badge.
    I have not decided what to do about the 'snow cem?' over spray, it needs to go but I don't want to take off the original paint with its admiralty applied stencilled paint. Need to think about that one.

Wallace, Hopefuldave, Nick DV and 4 others like this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

11. zx9

zx9 Member

Thanks @gaz1 the video reminds me that mine has the counterweight on the knee, lead counterweight is also missing plus it would need a plinth or small stand to allow the counterweight to hang down. I suppose a motor mount and counter shaft could be pivoted from the plinth to accommodate both horizontal and vertical mode.

At some point I will need collets and a draw bar too.

12. zx9

zx9 Member

I should be able to get the dims from this
    79269162_2429433277373644_5370519486752548175_n.jpg
    It is the parts bottom left and third from left. :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. zx9

zx9 Member

Cleaning up the spindle and pulley, spindle nose fits in a 19mm collet so that must be 3/4" it would appear that the Swiss were still using imperial measurements and fixings in the 1930's. Slight marks on the bearing surfaces but no scores or major damage from the damp unlike the more exposed areas of the spindle.

IMG_4400spindle1.JPG

There is a neat row of digs in the edge of the pulley steps, I suspect it has fallen over at some time, the spindle runs true between collet and tail stock centre so happy with that. ( or as true as can be expected on a seventy odd year old lathe running a set of Bang Good collets on a backplate I machined :) )

slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
  14. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

That’s a beautiful bit of kit

barking mat likes this.
  15. zx9

zx9 Member

Certainly is, and the precision is way beyond anything I have dealt with before. The taper on the right side of my photo is actually a sleeve over the main spindle, if you lubricate them with engine oil they will not fit together unless the film is almost wiped off. Same with the pegs that lock the slides, too much oil and they vacuum themselves together locking solid. I need to get some sewing machine oil because 5W 30 is too thick though I might try LHM power steering fluid I've got some here and it is almost as thin as water so will probably do for the constant trial fits and re fits.

slim_boy_fat, Shox Dr and Rannsachair like this.
  16. MattF

MattF Member

Those spray tins of light oil which Lidl occasionally sell would be a good one to use. Smells lovely too. :D

slim_boy_fat and zx9 like this.
  17. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

The Wahl hair clipper oil's pretty good too, damned if I can remember where I bought mine...

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat and MattF like this.
  18. zx9

zx9 Member

Sounds good but the smell of oil is a matter of opinion, I love the smell of warm Rocol but Mrs Zx9 always complains about it.
    I expect that would be about the right viscosity but trendy hair dressers product sounds expensive.

19. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Not if it's something I'd buy, tight as a camel's in a sandstorm, me...

Dave H. (the other one)

zx9 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. zx9

zx9 Member

Looks like I will have plenty of time to spend with the Hauser over the next few weeks so I have made a start on re finishing some of the smaller castings which are brass or bronze (?) whilst the simpler parts are milled from steel.
    IMG_4522.JPG
    Part at top right is the lifting arm from the vertical slide, it is obvious that the drive belt has been rubbing on it in so I will fill the damaged area with JB weld prior to etch priming.

This
    IMG_4524.JPG
    Is the left hand end plate from the horizontal slide, I am experimenting with wrinkle finish paint this is after twelve hours drying the finish is starting to form reasonably so we will see how that develops over the next couple of days.
    I sprayed the brass / bronze casting with acid etch primer first but having never done anything like this before it is all a bit of a suck it and see, I have read that they were originally finished as requested by the company that commissioned the order and could have been wrinkle / crackle painted or smooth finish. This one appears to have had a smooth finish overlaid with a wrinkle coat the Admiralty marks were applied to the smooth paint which has clearly been masked before the wrinkle coat was applied. I did think, was it sanded to remove the wrinkle then stencilled but I don't think so the edge between smooth and wrinkle is too well defined.
    The question of is it a bitsa or has it been robbed for parts was raised earlier in the thread, every part so far has been stamped 35 which I am guessing was year of manufacture or number in the batch supplied? I don't know. So in my mind it is looking like the missing parts are just that, missing / robbed out or still sat on some ones bench during a garage clearance.

slim_boy_fat and MattF like this.
Advertisements