Freecycle Hauser Mill (small, very, very small mill)

1. zx9

zx9 Member

As per thread title the good Mrs. Zx9 found me a project on Freecycle, a very small and very rusty Hauser horizontal mill with the vertical adapter. I only collected it this afternoon and it is in a very sad state, all the slides and the spindle are frozen solid and I expect it to be missing parts including the collet set and draw bar.
    Tony has pictures of what it could or should look like here http://www.lathes.co.uk/hauser/page5.html mine is like the first one on this page but currently looks like this.
    IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG

I don't know that I want a very small model or clock makers' mill but I am up for the challenge of restoring it and so far it has only cost me less than a hour of my time to collect. What is the worst that can happen, I non destructively convert it to a tool post grinder or a Rodney alike mill for the Drummond?
    I don't expect rapid progress but will update as I go.

Wallace, ronan, Nick DV and 16 others like this.
  2. MattF

MattF Member

Well if you ever want rid of it, I could definitely make a space for that. :D

pressbrake1 likes this.
  3. zx9

zx9 Member

I shall keep you in mind, I have not forgotten the help with and bits of Drummond you sent me. :thumbup:

duncans and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

nice bit of kit there

id be sticking it in some diesel for a couple of weeks to get it to soak up some oil before attepting to move any of it

duncans, ronan, jerrytug and 6 others like this.
  5. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

definitley dump it in a big drum of Diesel for a couple of months...

ronan and zx9 like this.
  6. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    A good clean then try and sell it to a horological place for enough profit to buy the mill you want
    I was concerned it was going to be a Hauser jig bore, I’d have been miserable with envy all day!

ronan, Morrisman, northwest and 2 others like this.
  7. zx9

zx9 Member

That is an option though I think any real money would be in the collets of which I have none.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    I rather suspect an item like that is worth a small fortune if watchmakers lathes are anything to go by.

I hesitate to put a figure on it but lets just say I would hesitate to put all four figures...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

It's so cute! :clapping:

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You could well be right, lathes.co.uk brings this up - further Googling might yield info re potential market demand and/or value indications? :dontknow:

http://lathes.co.uk/hauser/page5.html

11. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

does not too rusty, that should free up nicely......

12. gaz1

gaz1 Member

13. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Long way to go to get it looking like that

14. zx9

zx9 Member

Minor update. It was originally owned by the Admiralty, it still has the asset number plate but has lost the Hauser plate IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4372.JPG
    IMG_4374.JPG

So did they make their own timepieces ? As we are close to Greenwich Mrs.Zx9 is keen that I contact the maritime museum and ask.

Moving on I have spent a couple of hours with an oily rag and a diesel / oil mix this afternoon, the parts of the ways that are visible still have perfect hand scraping marks and have cleaned up very well with out even a scotch bright pad. The stops and gib locks are all freed up, the stops are cast bronze so only the screws and t nuts to corrode, that was easy. The slides and spindle have been soaked in diesel / oil mix and I have forced oil through the spindle oil ways, they can sit and stew for a couple of days as I actually have some real work to do for a change.

• IMG_4371.JPG
    • IMG_4372.JPG
    • IMG_4373.JPG
    Wallace, Nick DV, Hopefuldave and 7 others like this.
  15. tom2207 Member

diesels hygroscopic .. I wouldnt be putting diesel any where near it. ATF and acetone , me ,,,
    no points for guessing what i use
    acf 50.

Your off to a flying start though.

16. Screwdriver

UK London
    Oh I don't doubt it for a moment, it certainly deserves a fair bit of thought before ripping it apart. I dread to think what spares would cost if they are even still available. Sometimes all too easy to value a thing based on what it has cost.

I remember when I bought an old George mill off a chap and he showed me a watchmakers lathe in a box. Now I may be a bit off here but I swear he said it was worth +£1000's. It was a Schaublin/Lorch/Boley <whatever> and it was a beautiful little jewel of a machine.

Part of me wants to suggest such a task is best left to a professional but I am sure zx9 is as capable as anyone. My guess is the bearing set (bushings??) will be the £££ item to ruin. Seriously better not give it a quick spin to see if it's free :o

Not until the machine has been cleaned up. Needs a careful thoughtfully managed approach imho and well worth taking time over.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. zx9

zx9 Member

I think that one is more useful and sold as a vertical mill, this one here is technically a horizontal mill with vertical adapter. The end of the video showing the underside of the slides was useful to see and gives an idea of the way in which the gibs are finished, they are superb but very small.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. gaz1

gaz1 Member

theres a few more vids on the model as well

19. MattF

MattF Member

He's perfectly capable.

Watch him cock something up, now I've said that. :D

slim_boy_fat, zx9 and Screwdriver like this.
  20. Screwdriver

UK London
    Though to be fair, the difference between a ZX9 and a ZX10 is mindbending...

Advertisements