Eagle Mk3 surface grinder rebuild

1. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

I'll have to check mine and see if they changed the setup on later models. If not then I guess I've got another project to get some oil into my ones ways.

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

If you do then make sure you stop a little shorter than I did so the cross-drill hole goes into that vertical rib, then you won't break through :thumbup:

ronan and scottmk1 like this.
  3. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

Yeh I'll keep that in mind.

ronan likes this.
  4. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Well done. On the J&S 540 i need to replace my cross feed screw and nut. Popes who stock the parts have them...........for nearly £600 ! Can i ask where you bought the acme inserts ?

5. Pete.

Pete. Member

I bought the inserts from eBay, have 8 and 10tpi LH. I could let you havean insert if you need one Ronan though I'm unsure if it'll so down the bore of the nut.

Your machine is an absolute sumbitch to do the cross slide nut on by the way. I had one that was badly worn and the nut & screw had been carrying the cross table weight.

BTW You could look at this list for your thread size see if it's listed. The platform nuts are a lot cheaper than you're quoted.

https://www.mcmaster.com/acme-nuts

6. awemawson Forum Supporter

I have a feeling that I have a brand new cross screw and nut for a 540 tucked away somewhere. I’ll have a look.

ronan likes this.
  7. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Thanks for the link, Pete - might have saved me screwcutting a LH 8 tpi internal Acme in bronze... or two if I want an anti-backlash nut? Cheaper than buying a tap, too...

Dave H. (the other one)

ronan likes this.
  8. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

RDG tools have a large selection of Acme taps. Prices aren’t daft either. Use it sell it on.

9. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I've been watching them, 5/8 8tpi left-hand have been permanently out of stock since I started looking 4 years ago... Must be popular?

Dave H. (the other one)

10. Shox Dr

Come to think of it when I needed a one for my m300 they had no stock. So I used 1605 ball screw instead.

11. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    They’re impressively low quality

Seadog, ronan, mtt.tr and 2 others like this.
  12. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Rather just single point turn one. Actually that is exactly what i do!

13. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Like a lot of rdg's products.

pressbrake1 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  14. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Rdg , a more expensive lower quality version of bang good

15. Shox Dr

Tracey Tools list them

ronan likes this.
  16. Pete.

Pete. Member

So do I but this isn't exactly a trivial exercise.

ronan and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. Pete.

Pete. Member

Cross slide nut is all done. Turned out to be an easier job that I thought it would be.
    I ground a cutting bit from an old 6mm carbide end mill and turned a piece of tough steel down for a boring bar.

LH ACME tool.jpg

Cut a small relief groove in the end of the nut, just as a visual guide as much as anything. Also checked I had clearance all along. I'd allowed 12 thou (0.3mm).

Eagle y axis nut 3.jpg

Happy with that I cut the thread in 5 thou passes.

Eagle y axis nut 4.jpg

The screw fits really nice and snug, turns smooth too.

Eagle y axis nut 5.jpg

Nut ready to go in the holder tomorrow.

Eagle y axis nut 6.jpg

R-D-R, Parm, Ancient_Axeman and 19 others like this.
  18. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Just read start to finish.
    Wonderful job Pete. Very nice work :cool:

Welderpaul, ronan and Pete. like this.
  19. Pete.

Pete. Member

Thanks Richard :thumbup: Not done much this week but I have got some progress.

As I suspected would happen, scraping 12 thou off the bottom of the table and probably 4 or 5 from the top of the cross-slide has caused the table to ride on the gear and rack rather than the ways. Here you can see the gap both sides.

table rack adjust 1.jpg
    table rack adjust 2.jpg

This might be the reason the machine was taken out of service because of course I only took that much off the ends, the middle was already that low.

I put feeler gauges under the table until they were lightly pinched both sides. I did this right opposite the traverse gear that was holding it up.

table rack adjust 3.jpg

The fix was simple enough, I just machined 15 thou off the spacers for the rack. Effectively lifting the rack up off the gear.

table rack adjust 4.jpg

Once I did this there was no more constant interference but there was a 'lumpiness' caused by some ham-fisted removal of the gear previously. The corners had been beat up a little by someone using too hard a drift. They had attempted to dress it with a file but not very successfully. I put the gear in my lathe and turned the corners off. After that the table travel was perfect.

Seadog, spencer 427, zx9 and 14 others like this.
  20. Pete.

Pete. Member

Did some painting today. I found that you cannot brush paint enamel over yellow filler primer because the enamel paint melts the primer and you get a sickly grey-yellow mix as a result :(

I also made some new felt oilers for the table. The old ones were rock hard and made a noise like a dropped dice. I only had 4mm thick felt so I had to cut two per well and spilt one in half. Thankfully they peeled apart easily.

Eagle felts 1.jpg

Eagle felts 2.jpg

Then my heart sank when I noticed this:

Eagle x axis gib 1.jpg

Yes, the bloody table is riding on the top of the gib slightly. There's a small lip just above the dovetail and I've used up all the clearance.So sometime this week the gib is going to have to come off so I can mill a few thou off the top (or I'll have to set up the fly cutter and cut the lip some more). Then I'll have to re-adjust the whole lot again. Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Advertisements