Eagle Mk3 surface grinder rebuild

1. Pete.

Pete. Member

I bought this machine just this weekend and with my Christmas break coming up I thought I would jump right in with getting it rebuilt. It's a Mk3 Eagle surface grinder, originally the 'wet' variant but now missing the splash guard, drain and coolant pump.

eagle machine plate.jpg

This is how I found it, kept under a tarpaulin for 10 years. In the pic the seller and I had already started removing bits to load it into my van.

eagle stripping for transport.jpg

First impressions are that the ways seem to be in fairly good condition. The table ways have the most wear, which is expected. The cross-ways I haven't been able to inspect under the bellows but the rise and fall ways seem to be very good. They'll all be getting scraped regardless. Thankfully all of the ways apart from the table have been protected by the still-intact leather bellows which may be salvageable but I'll have to read up on how to revive the leather.

The single phase motor in the base looks very rough and will have to be inspected. If it's no good then it'll be getting a 3-phase motor installed and VFD most likely. The belt is perished and useless. Initially I was worried about the spindle since it was very reluctant to turn but once I cut the belt off the spindle turned very freely which was a huge relief. This too will be getting service as a matter of course.

This thread will chronicle the rebuild process, which started today and hopefully will span across the Christmas break.

ronan, Memmeddu, Hopefuldave and 6 others like this.
  2. Pete.

Pete. Member

So today's task was to strip the table of all it's crud and rust and appraise the condition. First I gave it a good hose off and scrub then set about it with a wire wheel on my angle grinder. I spent a couple of hours getting it to this condition:

eagle table strip 2.jpg

eagle table strip 3.jpg

The coolant drain was covered over with what looked like body filler and I chipped all that away (mostly because I was fed up with the wire wheel firing dust everywhere. I might re-do it with filler again later but I'll see if it's going to leak first. Perhaps I will ask someone to 3d-print a fancy plastic one for me.

eagle table strip 1.jpg
    So the table ways are worn but not horribly so. 8 thou in the worst spot. My Biax will take care of all this. It would be nice if I could mill or grind it first but I have no machine big enough to take the table.

eagle table wear 1.jpg

I masked the ways and chuck mount and painted the whole table with hi-build primer. It might seem like a funny thing to do with right off but I have found that when scraping this type of casting it tends to hold on to the dust created then it gets onto your straight edges/surface plate and causes havoc with the printing. The nice bright colour and painted surface will help a lot now and later on.

eagle table primer 1.jpg

eagle table primer 2.jpg

One last note is the way they have mounted the rack. On the back of the cross-feed rack they have cut slots in between the five mounting points, which are packed out with stand-offs. Presumably this is so that when the machine wears you can adjust the rack engagement along the rack's length by shimming or grinding the face of the stand-offs. You don't want the table riding on the rack gear but equally you don't want too much back-lash so it pulls the wheel into the work on the return stroke.

eagle table rack.jpg

That's it for today, next up will be either scraping the table or stripping the knee.

ronan, Memmeddu, Hopefuldave and 11 others like this.
  3. mm289 Member

Dover, Kent
    Goodness Pete, you are certainly lining things up for your long Christmas break :o Between this and the South Bend being started and thats before your hols kick of properly, making us all feel very inferior :clapping:

Good on ya:thumbup:

Paul.

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    I could tickle the table in for you so you only have minor scraping for final flatness and surface condition

ronan, Memmeddu, Hopefuldave and 3 others like this.
  5. Pete.

Pete. Member

That's a grand offer mate I will see how work goes this week and bear it in mind.

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. Ancient_Axeman Member

Hi Pete
    That surface grinder looked rather sad when you first got it! I would even say that condition would put most people off! Fair play in getting to grips with it. You must be a man who likes a good challenge!
    The work you have done so far looks great btw.

7. Pete.

Pete. Member

Thanks Ancient_Axeman. I think my task is not so great as yours though.

I will be getting to grips with it in the coming weeks. Would have been well down the road by now if I hadn't tried to cut my finger off with a wood chisel :D

Memmeddu and Ancient_Axeman like this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Oh yes, loads of us here are like that. :D

ronan and Ancient_Axeman like this.
  9. mm289 Member

Dover, Kent
    :o Hope your ok, thats not good timing given your planned 4 weeks of man cave obsession:doh:

Cheers,
    Paul.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Johnny glove and insulation tape is my go to in such a situation :D

11. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Knuckles are the worst. Take an age to heal when you have to keep working

12. RichardM Member

Masking tape and a bit of paper towel wadded up for me.:clapping:

13. Pete.

Pete. Member

This was a bit beyond the paper towel and insulating tape stage :D

Memmeddu likes this.
  14. RichardM Member

Ouch, hope it heals up quickly.

15. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

A cable tie as a tourniquet and superglue job? Then blue paper towel and masking tape.

Pete. and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  16. Pete.

Pete. Member

Funny I asked the nurse at the hospital why she couldn't glue it. She said it's because the glue might migrate to the tendon.

17. Ancient_Axeman Member

Hi Pete
    Sorry to hear about you falling out with that wood chisel!! Who started the trouble first ? ;)
    I get a few cuts and nicks from my Treework the old 'Compress and Elevate' is always worth a try to stop the bleeding but you end up having to walk around with one hand on your head!
    If you get to using a plaster to keep it clean Elastoplast do a good finger plaster called Finger Strips that is about 3-4 inches long that wraps enough they dont slide off after 2 mins.
    Look forward to seeing the next progress :)

18. Pete.

Pete. Member

So I started to tackle the table ways today. First I knocked down all the ridges working up a sweat with a big file so I could use a straight edge and feeler gauges to get a rough guess on the wear. I stopped just before the last of the dark lines disappeared because that's where the original worn surface is so I knew I'd have to scrape at least that far. Using the file is a lot quicker.

eagle table scrape 1.jpg

Oops that's not good. The middle is 12 thou lower than the ends.

eagle table scrape 2.jpg

It's not so bad as it at first looks (from the amount of scraping perspective). The table has worn over a large area and the very ends are high. Still a good bit of work but concentrated on the ends. I got these numbers by putting a straight edge on the ways and running a feeler gauge along until it sticks.

eagle table scrape 3.jpg

Just over an hour of concentrated scraping and filing and we are nearly there. I used a roughing blade in the scraper then knocked all the tops off with a file. For narrow ways like this it brings them down fast because the file doesn't clog. Scrape away the file marks then file away the scrape marks. Really shifts the levels down. Gotta be very careful not to over-shoot in any spot.

eagle table scrape 4.jpg

That's it for now. Back on it on Sunday, I'll have to check the geometry between the top face and these ways to make sure they stay co-planar within a few tenths. That'll save having to grind the chuck mount too much later.

Memmeddu, Hopefuldave, Dcal and 14 others like this.
  19. Pete.

Pete. Member

I need some advice. The leather bellows on this machine are in very nice condition but the outside is full of muck and dirt. I'm going to get hold of some neatsfoot oil to treat the leather but in the meantime what would be a suitable method to clean the caked-on crud off the outside of the bellows without ruining them? What I want to do is get a bucket of hot water and some laundry detergent and give them a gentle scrub. Will that do any harm?

20. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Saddle soap.

Hopefuldave, mtt.tr and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
Advertisements