Converting a Small Blast Cabinet to Soda

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

build a bigger one to take car wheels etc and use your small one for beads soda will clean but it wont peen the surface and give a shinier finish

2. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I gave up with suction guns long ago, you’re forever messing with them.

I use a blast pot into the cabinet, dig it out and sieve back into the pot.

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

both have there uses I have the guyson pattern suction gun that gets used for light cleaning of parts that a pressure pot would ruin

• DSCF1098.JPG
  4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Different league

brightspark likes this.
  5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I wouldn't due to the silica production

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

I use a 4inch woodchip extract ducted outside and also wear a dust mask not that its needed outside blasting I have the shotblast air fed helmet :)was just doing a test here with new bigger grit valve I cast and made for using heavier 1.5mm grit

• DSCF1238.JPG
    mtt.tr likes this.
  7. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Fair cop

brightspark likes this.
  8. So use the Soda with the blast pot and Soda Conversion kit. What's the best way of converting the Blast Pot gun to get it into a cabinet, I was thinking of removing the blast put gun (as you have mentioned before) and running the hose into the side of a cabinet with something like a Hose barb with threaded end to secure it into a hole in the side of the cabinet and then another one on the inside with a short piece of hose and the nozzle.
    With this nozzle how do you easily switch it on and off, without the expense of a foot pedal (I am a hobbyist).

Glass beads in the small cabinet using the standard suction setup of should I modify it like in this thread where he adds a drain at the bottom into suction tube with an addition Air Inlet to aid flow?

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

what I did was put the poker in the beads and drill a hole maybe about 1/8th of an inch 6inch up the suction hose that lets air in and it stops the gun from sucking and pulsing the media out of the gun. crude but works ok . give it a try. if it still pulses enlarge the hole and allow more air in

10. Sorry lost me, by poker so you mean the metal pick up tube in the cabinet? And did you drill a hole in the metal pick up tube or braided hose?

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

metal pick up tube dips in the media and 6 inch up the braided hose out of the media drilled the hole to let air in

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

that isnt glass beads its crushed glass and says for etching .beads are a perfect sphere and round and peen the surface the stuff needed is fairly fine . I might be wrong it could be :dontknow:

13. What about these, is that a fair price. Says 250 450 microns for cleaning lightly soiled and polishing aluminium?

14. Any help finding some well priced Glass Beads for cleaning up Carburettors and Aluminium Engine Parts. Looks to be about £40 (inc shipping) is the best price I can find?
    Not sure about what grades to buy , so some advice about that would help. I want a nice clean (non peened surface).

Also I cannot seem to find a 3mm nozzle for the stock gun fitted to the small Clarke / Sealey Blast Cabinets, is there an alternative with 3mm nozzles that I could use?

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

are you on about the blast nozzle on a Clarke suction gun or the air nozzle

16. It's the suction gun in the small Sealey Cabinet that I posted earlier in this thread here

Advertisements