Converting a Small Blast Cabinet to Soda

1. Hi;

I have been looking at blasting options and have just been offered a SH Clarke Blast Cabinet for £30. It's probably one of the smaller Clarke Cabinets.
    Question:
    Could I convert it to use Soda and if so how?

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

there very small and only have a suction gun in them .chances are they will clog up with soda . you would have to buy a bag and do a bit of testing . 30 quid's cheap enough to buy you could use it for kiln dried sand or glass beads I just use a small Clarke for bead blasting small parts. anything bigger goes in larger cabinet or outside open blasted

Wallace likes this.
  3. I think I’ll test it out. I wanted to use Soda as I have a Carb and some Engine Alloy and Cast parts to do.
    Might be too small to use with the Blast Pot with a Soda adaptor

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

probably blow it to bits with a pressure pot :laughing:

5. melle Member

I blast carbs and aluminium manifolds with glass beads, works a treat.

brightspark likes this.
  6. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I’ve used soda in a machinemart type blast pot. It came with a soda adapter, I didnt fit.

Worked a treat

brightspark likes this.
  7. What glass bead media do you use and where from and how much would I need for say two medium sized carbs. I have more to do such as oil filter housings and clutch housings but I need an idea of how to work out how much. I have seen Lime Soda glass for about £45 for 25kg
    Is this a peened finish?

For Carbs I am leaning towards Soda as it’s less aggressive and should give a smoother finish. Again how can I work out how much I need? And where’s the best supplier?

8. cheb Forum Supporter

I get my soda from the local bakers, works out much cheaper, especially in terms of carriage.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Shox Dr

I wouldn’t use anything else on a carb, incase you dont get it all out. Its a one time use product really, but you can reuse it the once if lucky.

10. Wallace

Wallace Member

I would go for a separate machine for soda and carbs that had never had other media through it.

11. cheb Forum Supporter

I use a dedicated handheld gun for soda blasting, and do it outside so the wind takes the dust away.

12. You mean you wouldn’t use anything other than Soda?

13. So I may as well buy one of these.

14. johnser

johnser Member

Not had a problem emptying my small cabinet (with basic suction gun) of glass and tipping in a few kg of soda to do carbs. Can't say it was immaculate but easy enough to hoover out the last of the glass. Worked fine for me.

brightspark and Wany like this.
  15. As far as I can tell these blast cabinets use a suction gun and you stick the end of the media tube into the bucket full of media? So instead of a container of glass you use a container of soda?
    I have a Blast Pot with a Soda adaptor but I am thinking that the nozzle on the end will allow too much soda through for fine cleaning of carbs? I have tried to find a different type of nozzle / gun to fit to the blast pot but so far I can't seem to find one?

I am picking up the SH cabinet this afternoon and will then be able to see what I have to work with and what I need to get.

16. Shox Dr

Soda bead is much bigger than grit or crushed glass, your nozzle may be OK to go.

17. cheb Forum Supporter

That's pretty much what I've got, mine's older and scabbier.

18. Wany Member

I've got some amino plastic to try as an alternative to soda. You can reuse it. I'll try and get some time this weekend to blast some pieces and post them up.

19. melle Member

I bought a 25kg bag years ago that I've been using in a small blast cabinet that I only use for blasting degreased non-ferrous materials. I can't remember the details, but they're round beads and they leave a fine, dull finish. I've never needed to renew the media so far.

slim_boy_fat and brightspark like this.
  20. OK so here's the cabinet, it's in great condition (cabinet colour has faded as it was sitting near a window), gloves and everything else seem fine.
    The light is missing so I need to replace or mod it.
    A bargain at £30 and yes they are SMALL :-)
    I see it comes with a cone filter mounted on the inside that could have an extractor fitted to it on the outside.

I also now see that these cabinets work by sucking the media up from under the grill plate not from a bucket.
    Also came with 2 x spare screen covers, 1/2 tub of Aluminium Oxide and a bag of B&Q Blasting Sand ??

[​IMG]

Advertisements