Converting a Small Blast Cabinet to Soda

1. Wallace

Wallace Member

When you get the cabinet sorted, keep an old pair of pliers in the cabinet as it will save the gloves wearing through on small parts and add a couple of sheets of steel in the back corner (or a 90° cut to suit) as a sacrificial panel to save wearing through the cabinet and having to repair it.

2. So those parts I blasted with crushed glass (which I think the Restofine is) should Bead Blast OK? Been advised to get some from here: https://oro2u.com/advanced_search.php?search=glass+bead

Will do thanks.

minimutly likes this.
  3. Just need to sort the lighting and extraction now.

4. Today I decided to make the hopper sides for the cabinet, so I brushed off my fabrication skills and made up a cardboard template:

[​IMG]

Yeh I know - I didn't bother to empty out the media.
    Next transfer the template to the metal, I had a spare piece left from an old security cabinet, bee holding onto it for about 5 years!!

[​IMG]

And cut out the shape:

[​IMG]

The next job was to mark along the fold line and bend it in my DIY bender that I made after learning how to make repair panels for my classic mini on the Retro Rides forum.
    Sorry no picture of the bender :-(

Then check and adjust the fold and test fit:

[​IMG]

Then mark and drill the holes for the three screws to hold it in place and screw it in:

[​IMG]

Now what can I do to stop the media going under the hopper side? Should I seal it with something like silastic?

Need to get cracking as I have my first customer :-)

Wany and brightspark like this.
  5. brightspark

brightspark Member

a bead of silicone will be ok media just bounces off it

JonnyAlpha likes this.
  6. Regarding extraction, would this be adequate.
    What about a suitable filter? I have seen a few ideas on making a cyclone filter but do I need a gauze / sponge type filter at the cabinet end?

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

it would pull a fair bit of air out. I use a 4inch woodchip fan . have a fine gauze filter up in the side of the cabinet the outlet from fan is just white flexible ducting put outside when in use I don't bother filtering it just sweep up the dust there isn't much so its not 2 messy my small cabinet the same as yours ive just cut a 4inch hole up in the side and fitted some filter mesh and the hose just poked outside I only use it for beads so don't bother with extraction il take some piccys later on and post

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

here's the piccys. the small cabinet has the 4inch pipe fastened on the side with a boss and I have fitted a fine filter in it the pipe just goes up and over to outside I don't bother with extraction on it as its only for beads with a suction gun nothing stopping you putting a small fan on the end though. they will take a load of stick even though the dust is abrasive the larger cabinet has the woodchip extracta fitted and is needed as im using a pressure pot about 100 psi and 28 cfm airflow compressor its 4 inch ducting . the boss on the side is 4inch on the outside . inside I fitted the base of a gas bottle to increase the size of the filter which is just a cheap fine mesh filter you put over the frying pan to stop splashing and I cut the handle of it

• DSCF1094.JPG
    • DSCF1095.JPG
    • DSCF1097.JPG
  9. So, still without an extractor and no real lighting I had a go at doing a friends Diff Casing.
    Here it is before:

[​IMG]

And here it is afterwards:

[​IMG]

Took me about 2 hours and I experimented with pressure.
    Started at 20 then about 30 PSI, but it wasn't getting into the corrosion enough:

[​IMG]

Then I cranked it up to about 70 / 80 PSI and the results were a lot better:

[​IMG]

It wasn't perfect but I am (and I hope my friend will be) happy with it.

Whilst waiting for it to be collected I had a go at polishing up the oil filter housing I did the other day. I used some metal polish and some Abracs Drill Polishing attachments, the problem is you will never get into all the nooks and crannies:

Here are the results (Right Side Polished / Left Side Not Polished):

[​IMG]

Glast Grit side:

[​IMG]

Glass Grit and Polished side:

[​IMG]

I am looking forward to having a go with Glass Grit but am still trying to decide where and what to get, I am not sure what Size Grit to go for.
    Size choices are 5, 10 and 25KG

Matchless likes this.
  10. Matchless

Matchless Member

11. Well spotted

Advertisements