Colchester Bantam Mk1 1600

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

More miserable jobs still in store with this project - like stripping paint from the headstock. I’ll need to fill and prime this, then paint it too.

• B5216D15-79CF-438E-856C-FDE443C7B6AD.jpeg
    spencer 427 likes this.
  2. Carl Wilson Member

Stripping paint is one of those God awful jobs that just needs doing!

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  3. Dieselkid 63

It is. You know I’ve been umming an ahhing about how to do the headstock as it is like an upside down pyramid and very wobbly when upright. A lightbulb moment came to me when I realised if I removed all the levers, I could flip it on the top as the base, and it would be very sturdy. I don’t know how but it’s taken me two years of owning the lathe to think that wizardry up!

4. Carl Wilson Member

Well done in any case. It's one of those jobs I hate. But it's neccesary if you want to do a good job, as you know.

5. Dieselkid 63

Another restored plaque, this is at the limits of my capability. There was about .5mm maybe less difference in the height of the raised lettering. Had to be dead careful!

• D288CC02-4BE0-45FA-BEF0-7F5CA8548978.jpeg
  6. Carl Wilson Member

If that's the limit of your capability then I'm glad we lived at opposite ends of the world. I'd give up if I thought you were any closer.

7. Dieselkid 63

I finished at my work experience placement yesterday which was bittersweet as I’m onto a new place but also had a good time on this one. I asked how much they would charge me to fabricate a quick bracket for my lamp on the lathe and they said they’d do it for free which was nice :) so now I have some 2mm steel bent 90deg and drilled in all the right places. Another job down!

• 17E57BA5-B505-43EF-8DB3-B65F0D9F48F1.jpeg
    Andy the fixer, Brad93, ronan and 2 others like this.
  8. Carl Wilson Member

Looking good! Some nice paint stripping there!

9. Dieselkid 63

Hopefully on the way are a new handwheel for the carriage (been looking for one of these since forever) and (drumroll) the taper turner attachment, which has to be the King of accessories for the Bantam!

The taper turner has an imperial screw which I suppose will mess up my facing speeds as it’s a metric machine, but I can’t see that being a problem at all.

I’m still taking paint off the headstock, almost done there, and I’ve been out and bought some mdf/steel shelving to store all the lathe bits on whilst it’s under restoration. It’s all beginning to be a little more sophisticated!

Ton-up, Seadog, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  10. Dieselkid 63

A good session of reorganisation this weekend, built a new workbench for the drill and vices (one metal, one for wood). This freed up the old bench at the back which was promptly broken up for burning, and the hacksaw and grinding machine took its place. The Bantam remains in the same place just easier to access!

• 51B15453-DE81-4394-B29B-A134ECBAAAEF.jpeg
    • EDF9643A-D34A-4B57-93E7-28A5996962AD.jpeg
  11. Carl Wilson Member

That's a really nice workshop.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  12. Dieselkid 63

Fanfare please - delights in store.

The taper turner has arrived and it’s now fitted to the lathe - just for a test! Very happy with this, the machine gains a whole extra level of capacity now.

I also got a replacement handwheel for the front apron. At £50 it’s not to be sniffed at, though at ColSpares they wanted £300 (for just the wheel) so it’s a saving of sorts...

The headstock is half done in filler and, for a laugh, I’ve managed to both run out of paint and lose the paint code for the mix. Got to make life interesting you know... :(

• 009B07BB-4930-4DED-B5B9-579C6A8902BD.jpeg
    • 965E135D-D2C4-4B80-94A0-974C0AC1691A.jpeg
    • 641D7957-6A2B-4C82-A85A-48CC03E0D401.jpeg
  13. Carl Wilson Member

Looks really good. I really like your painstaking attitude towards the restoration.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  14. Dieselkid 63

The end of the taper turner attachment is a steel bar which slides through an adjustable arm - this can be locked in place for rigidity. Unfortunately, mine had been neglected and was rusted shut. It’s interesting to see someone has (quite recently) tried with stillsons and failed to turn the shaft.

There are two hex grub screws which were rounded so I decided to round them further with a drill bit, and bored them out. This is a nuisance as it means re-tapping the holes, but it’s easier than faffing about with broken and rusted metal.

The casting (not shown) which bolts onto the lathe has two more grub screws in-line which have obviously spun a little a long time ago, all that bulged and squashed metal can’t be helping the thing, so they will be filed off and probably drilled out too.

There are quite a few bits of bare casting on the thing, so you’ll be pleased to know paint is going to go on! Some of the metal has light pitting, a shame but I can’t complain. It comes up ok with a scotchbrite pad. I’ll investigate further tomorrow, when I have more time :)

• 2568C635-B9A7-41DD-A24F-19EF109FF29E.jpeg
    • 4C5CED6C-11AD-4958-9309-9CBDF8E5B978.jpeg
    • A13C135E-BBE6-421D-AE2F-0C7B991FB432.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Carl Wilson Member

Congratulations on finding that accessory. A bit of tlc and it will be as right as rain I'm sure.

16. Dieselkid 63

Some TTA progress. The support atm is all fixed and pretty once more. I still need to tap and buy grub screws but for the while it works - turns and can be taken apart etc. Happy with that.

The bracket that sits on the back of the carriage needs work too. There’s an adjustable gib strip to contend with, this looks like it’s never been removed. It was hard to pull apart and there was loads of dirt behind it. Lots to keep me busy with!

• FBF065D8-C68C-4DAE-B1FE-B3E74053D9D9.jpeg
    • 3240BCFC-5803-4ECA-A9DB-1451D242303D.jpeg
    • A28FB45D-A058-4776-86CA-487B6865AD08.jpeg
    dobbslc and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. Dieselkid 63

Quite happy with this!

• 75FD1F33-54E3-46F2-AB2E-F9BDD4D87D25.jpeg
    Seadog likes this.
  18. Carl Wilson Member

Looking good. There is always something that needs doing. Did you do any scraping on the ways of your lathe?

19. Dieselkid 63

I didn’t. I can’t scrape and I couldn’t find a bed grinder so it’s as-is. It’ll be fine for my work, I just want to perfect my screwcutting skills and turn a few small things. Restoring machines is what I love so it’s all fun :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. Carl Wilson Member

I'm not going to be scraping my mill either. I don't have a big surface table and I wouldn't have the first idea where to begin.

Advertisements