Colchester Bantam Mk1 1600

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Welcome to another thread of my restorations. It's funny to think that last year in April was when I got started in all this metalworking seriously and restored my big vice, the Record 34P. From then I got the miracle bender (not out of need but because it was cheap), the grinder, then my Fobco drill which is funny as I hadn't intended to buy a drill press but it was stupidly cheap so it's joined the family. The last piece of the puzzle in my mind is a lathe, I want to be able to turn. That is where the title of the thread comes in.

I have secured the purchase of a Colchester Bantam - I'm going to buy it tomorrow and start stripping bits from it, slightly out of concern that someone else will try to outbid me as the price is a little... reasonable to say the least.

A friend is going to help me move it back home, 90km north. Does anyone know what it weighs? In my mind I think it is 350kg. We're going to try and do it in one, but if that fails then I will split it in two and do the lathe and cabinet separately. Also, will we be able to use an engine hoist, and how do you do the thing with the T point? (Don't worry, I'm not going to lift it by the old bar-through-headstock bearing killer method).

It's a 3ph machine which presents problems, but I'm going to just buy it, get it home and then I can start playing with options for powering it. I'm thinking of buying a separate 1ph pump and powering it separately to run coolant - is this possible/a good idea?

I'm going to need your help with this one lads. Pics to follow.

2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Don't forget that you'll need a milling machine soon too :whistle:

Gwil, Hopefuldave and gav0994 like this.
  3. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

And those gears aren't going to hob themselves... don't even get me started on my addiction to buying cast iron lol

Hopefuldave and Seadog like this.
  4. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

A good morning.

Emptied the pump sump... Four inches of swarf, cutting oil (yes, thick brown oil), and a bonus find of the #2 jaw from the 3 jaw chuck! Must have been replaced lazily instead of sifting through the tank. All done now though and I can degrease it when I'm back in my workshop.

Whilst having fun getting the sump out, I found the full set of change wheels, never used still with their oil dried in the teeth, and no chips or missing teeth! Those are getting squirelled away for sure. It is a 1975 edition, one of the last of the Mk 1 series. The reg is FCAA10058.

As a bonus bit of good luck, the boys at Colchester left the wiring diagram blueprints in the fuse box.

In addition to this I cleaned all the dust off, took the splash guard off and opened up the headstock. Looks very tidy, apparently it hasn't been properly used in 9 years only tested every year. The headstock was drained of oil. Should I run it empty or full? The ind block at uni run theirs dry as they say people using wood clogs the gears up. Not my words though. Pics to follow as always.

5. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Pics :)

It's weird how the pump wasn't working...

[​IMG]

Soaking down into sawdust

[​IMG]

Gifts from spider cave, seriously dusty

[​IMG]

Face plate and I don't even know what this plate is, one metal lug on it

[​IMG]

3 and 4 jaw chucks

[​IMG]

The electrical diagram still in placcy wrapper

[​IMG]

Clean, no breaks but I was expecting to find this dripping in oil

[​IMG]

The machine is right by a window which makes photos look crap. Did my best, here it is looking tidier and mildly cleaner

[​IMG]

Sorry for so many pics but it's the beginning of the project and I'm excited

Parm, zx9, gav0994 and 11 others like this.
  6. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Tobe honest that doesnt look too bad, nothing a good clean some oil and ziggies wont see you making lots of swarf

The chucks etc look in good condition.

7. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

Part of a dog drive?

upload_2017-3-28_9-47-23.png

8. daleyd

daleyd Member

9. Pete.

Pete. Member

It's called a 'free chuck backplate' :D

Brad93 and gav0994 like this.
  10. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

I'll post pics of the jaws for the chucks. The words 'hardly used' come to mind looking over the machine. It's lived a weird life by the looks of things. The paint is in poor condition but tbh cosmetics are the easiest thing to put right. There's going to be a lot of sawdust needs removing from the bed. Might buy myself some wipers too as the originals have long perished.

Pleased it's metric though, plus it's got change wheel charts to cut imperial threads too. Weirdly the handle for the tailstock is in inches, with the tailstock having both met and imp measurements. The other hand wheels are metric. I put it down to the changeover period.

My mission today is to try and disconnect the motor so I can separate the bed from the base. Then I'm going to take some of the smaller bits home.

11. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Got the change wheels home plus the live centre, drill chuck (which is a Metabo piece of crap), chuck keys and the spare jaws. think I will make up some ply boxes for the parts and buy some more shelves. Look how nicely this cleaned up under the wire wheel

[​IMG]

I'm not sure it's even been used

gav0994 likes this.
  12. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

The brake is home, cleaned it up and now it works beautifully. The pad is something like plastic, not sure where I'd get a replacement from? It seems like it's got some time before that happens anyway. I have a new belt on order, A33 is the size for this lathe. The old one was okay, but a bit of fraying here and there. Took a few panels home too, the splashback end bit and one of the headstock plates. I'm keen for it to shed as much weight as possible so anything counts - even if it's just 5kg it'll make life easier later. Not a lot happening really.

daleyd and gav0994 like this.
  13. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Anyone know how to get the locking handle for the bed off the tailstock? Got just about everything else off to give it a good clean and repaint, but this one handle isn't coming off. I have knocked the pin out but it's not separating. Help!

14. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

What are ziggies?

15. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Electrical suppy...

16. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Oh, I see. Yeah the electrics are getting left for another day. Just want it all mechanically sound and repainted before I breathe life into the beast. The phone has given up the ghost today so like some members do, no pictures :( . I disassembled the tailstock today and cleaned all the parts, but didn't remove any paint.

Oh yes, a pleasure was in store for me when I took the 'ruler' off the handle and three ball bearings popped out. Getting these back in was not an easy task. Emptied out a lot of dried grease from the two oil holes in the top of the tailstock. Re-fitted the sprung ball bearings here, too, then ran through some oil once the insert was back in. It runs a lot smoother now, I am happy :)

Underneath I cleaned up the sides. Looks like it was repainted some time in its life as there are some bare metal surfaces where the paint is peeling and showing no primer underneath. These have been brightened up with a buffing block, I'm being careful not to use any abrasives. I'm going to try and bring more bits home on Monday, still got all four chucks to move, the pump + sump, and to work out how to disengage the rod that controls the power on/off so I can finally free the bed from the cabinet.

A stroke of good luck though, a friend of a friend does delivery work for gas money, so I'm thinking move the bed with my friend with the van, then get this other guy to do the cabinet which shouldn't be too heavy (famous last words? :P ). It's all happening, slowly.

17. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

A trailer, make a couple of 4 wheel trollies one for each end. Lift each end with an engine hoist, put trolley ender. And wheel out to trailer.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

I'll be doing it in two parts, the coolant tray needs repainting anyway and I'm not going to use it instantly, need to save up for all the vfd/inverter/what have you. Today I dismantled the three jaw chuck, cleaned it, re-greased the interior workings then sealed them up again, oiled the exterior workings and reassembled it all. I thought it was rusty but it just looks like dried oil, which comes off with wire wool easily. Running a lot smoother to the turn now. Another bit brought home, another job down, I'm happy.

Been busy as because it's hand in week at uni so I can't go down to the workshop to play about with the machine. I still need to disconnect the motor, the engaging rod and most importantly, buy a new telephone so I can show you a picture instead of a thousand words!

I got in touch with 600Group Australia and they sent me the parts book for a Mk2 Bantam 2000 which is kinda useless to me but if anyone wants a copy I now have one so inbox me with your email for a copy.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Result - they sent me their copy of the Mk1 Bantam manual, which unlike the one floating around the internet, does have the parts lists, exploded diagrams and the accessory part numbers. Excellent service from 600 Group, they said they can hook me up with some new oil sight glasses (didn't dare ask the price) and game me a modern day equivalent to the oil - Castrol Hyspin AWS 32. All in all, top stuff.

Windy Miller, slim_boy_fat and daleyd like this.
  20. oilyneil

oilyneil Member

Dieselkid 63 and Windy Miller like this.
Advertisements