Clarke 7 inch Metal Bandsaw

1. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

if your going pimp your band saw gold leaf ?

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I do have a couple of cans of gold hammerite...

3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I was determined not to strip the motor too far. Just enough for a lick of paint. Looks pretty good all things considered.

[​IMG]

Minor strip down, washed and a quick wipe with acetone.

[​IMG]

Satin black for the body.

[​IMG]

Believe it or not this is the AFTER photo :mad:

[​IMG]

I should have gone with this new style Nitromorse even though I think it's pretty rubbish, it's better than this Bartoline rubbish. Does anyone have a source for proper old school high VOC Nitromorse? I NEED a bucket of it please.

The motor looks a lot better in satin black, the accessories are gloss black, A subtle difference that should make all the difference.

[​IMG]

It is frustrating having to wait for it to dry but that's all part of the game.

[​IMG]

Next job is basically the main event. This is the single most broken part of the machine.

[​IMG]

I thought I'd pop the bearings off so I could order up some new ones. They won't shift. Does anyone know for a fact what size they are?

Cheers.

Screwd.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  4. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

Old school paint stripper easily available if you know what chemical to look for. Very very Highly effective at removing paint but also exceptionally good at killing people. You simply won’t have the correct control measures to use it at home

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I'm going to assume you mean Methylene Chloride if only because all the noVOC strippers say they don't have it!

Playing with chemicals is super dangerous because without a wider knowledge of the subject, it would be easy to make a simple mistake that could take a chunk out of your life expectancy. Having said that, I have used the real Nitromorse many times over the years and apart from the occasional burn (!) no harm done. I'd still like to find some rather than mix up my own cocktail!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  6. Parm

You don’t need to mix anything, it’s the DCM that strips the paint. It has consistency of water and potency even worse than cobra venom. All the other “stuff” is added to allegedly make it safer.

It’s a brilliant paint stripper but stupidly dangerous. Bit like asbestos, brilliant at what it does and very hard to better but as we all know mega ultra insane dangerous

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Apparently it is highly solvent and will evaporate in no time. Methyl cellulose was part of the recipe and thats basically wallpaper paste so I guess i'll be making up a cocktail and see how it goes.

I am pretty sure my 3M mask must have some active filter in it because I was able to finish painting the bandsaw (with Cromadex/xylene) without the headach and nausea. I will double check what filters are in there but this bandsaw is the final test before I start work on the Bridegport and having a decent paint stripper will help that process tremendously.

Safety first! :worms

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. Parm

Your RPE will probably be ok with paint. But I can tell you quite comfortably that it won’t work with DCM.

And methyl cellulose is a completely different animal. No where even close to replicating DCM

WorkshopChris likes this.
  9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I'll look into getting the correct filter. I did like the smell of the old Nitromors (!) but iirc it didnt half give you a stink in the nose. What do I need to look for? Acivated charcoal for volatile organics?

No, I am suggesting mixing up Methylene Chloride with Methyl cellulose to thicken it up. I suspect that is 90% of what Nitromors once was.

10. Parm

Pm me with paint names and types etc along with the type of your RPE and filters

I shall have a look when I’m at the office on Monday.

Also be good to have an idea of your budget

11. Parm

Mixing two things up could be dangerous, my chemistry when it comes to mixtures isn’t very good at all

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Pretty sure it will be fine.

I was going to say "whats the worst that could happen" but you're the last person I'd ask! :D

13. Parm

I’d answer honestly by saying I don’t know

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

You want a large steel drum, tip in the DCM and then several inches of water poured on top. The water provides an anti-evaporation layer. Top up as necessary.

Parm and rtbcomp like this.
  15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Are you suggesting a dip tank? I think I'd prefer to apply it where needed, not sure I'd get a Bridgeport in there. Interesting idea though.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  16. Wallace

Wallace Member

If you cannot read the bearing size off the bearing itself measure the outside diameter, bore and width and pop the dimensions on the Bearing Boys or similar website. Those look like they are steel shielded. Looks a fine restoration job you are doing there, personally, (and not meant as criticism) I would have replaced the motor bearings with quality bearings such as SKF before painting for peace of mind. :thumbup:

17. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I was, obviously it's only practical for smallish parts, unless your pockets are deep enough to buy a few hundred gallons of DCM :-)

18. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Worst? You end up producing phosgene poison gas, like the Bosch used on my grandpa in the trenches... He did survive it, but they wouldn't let him fight in WW2, had to earn his George Medal another way...

I buy my methylene chloride by the gallon, mix it with "modern" strippers for the surfactant / cling properties, BUT - gloves, faceshield, outdoors out of direct sunlight (see above) with a breeze to carry the fumes away. If you smell new-mown grass while using it, get well upwind and everyone out from downwind...

Dave H. (the other one)

19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Thanks all. Motor is assembled.

[​IMG]

...and a trial fit for alignment. I think I need to shift the pulley on the motor rather than try and move the motor mount to its furthest adjustment.

[​IMG]

It's looking good though. I'll be breaking down the blade guides next...

barking mat and Parm like this.
  20. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London

You can't make phosgene with DCM, even if you heat it. On the other hand unless you know exactly what's in the "modern" strippers, you could be mixing up a recipe for disaster. A quick Google suggests Methyl cellulose (a harmless edible compound also used as wallpaper paste) is in fact the "secret" ingredient used to thicken up DCM to make Nitromors. Of course I will bottom it out before I mix it and naturally I will be using as much safety equipment as is appropriate.

I am already wondering what the best/safest/most legally obliging way there is to dispose of the stuff though. Anybody know the dope on disposing of "household" hazardous chems?

Advertisements