Clarke 7 inch Metal Bandsaw

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Picked this up recently, it needs work! Not too much I hope but once you start...

[​IMG]

The known issue is with the vice and it turned out to be quite an oddball problem.

It has a half nut!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first I thought it had worn out but closer inspection revealed an odd looking "button" which was siezed and displaced from the spring and the remaining threads were choked SOLID with crud.

So I did a quick clean up to see what's what.

[​IMG]

Here's the button which is now fitting fully into the hole and not siezed. It really hardly seems to reach the thread at all and certainly does nothing to "retain" the thread.

[​IMG]

The key is the shape of the carrier which can rotate in the cradle above. When it rotates in one direction, the stub hits a roll pin on the cradle and wedges the thread into the half nut :dontknow:

Seems like an odd way to do it but it works :thumbup:

Wind the handle in and the thread "picks up" grips and clamps. Release the grip and it acts like a quick release and the moving jaw can be shifted by hand.

[​IMG]

That's as far as I got with it. There is still an issue with pitch. It works perfectly sometimes and sometimes it picks up an odd pitch and basically sticks. I may need to clean it more thoroughly, it might just be an odd bit of crud somewhere which judging by some similar crusty deposits, can be as hard as concrete.

Not planning on doing a full resto yet, I just need to de-spider it before I fire it up and start using it for other projects.

[​IMG]

I would say the chances are, I'll pretty much have to rip it apart to clean all the bearings and guides etc. so it may end up being a mini-resto anyway...

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

nice seen people on the fourm got them and well handy for cutting the metal shame i cant find enough use for one

3. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

YOU need a use:vsad:

hunter27, Parm and Wallace like this.
  4. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

oh i could find a use if come for a song but know they fetch good money and the bills in the house must come first

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

I have to make do with a donkey saw.
    Works flawlessly though and cost me 99p
    Start it cutting and go make a brew.

Wouldnt mind a vertical bandsaw to compliment it but dont have the room.

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Does the threaded nut only have half the casting threaded? From what I can see that pin and spring is designed to allow quick release of the vice.

Parm likes this.
  7. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I’ve got the same saw, I’ve never found out how that vice screw works :laughing:

8. Wallace

Wallace Member

Is the thread through the nut at an angle and the spring keeps the nut engaged, tipping it forward disengages? Load on the vice then engages the nut thread deeper against the vice clearance hole maybe?

9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    The mechanism works due to the oval hole and offset casting lugs. The larger lug rotates until it hits the roll pin in the carrier (above) and that jams the half nut in place while offsetting it so that it engages with the thread.

When you slacken the vice, the entire nut rotates 180 degrees until the smaller lug hits the pin. This allows the half nut to fall away from the thread, disengaging the mechanism.

I think the spring loaded button just drags a bit on the crown of the thread enough to make sure the half nut rotates rather than stick where it is.

10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Be interesting to see in action.

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Ok I'll do a vid but you don't see much! Its a "feel" thing really. It feels weird.

Crank the handle in and it bites and drives forwards as per usual. Wind it back just a bit and suddenly the jaw becomes free to slide backwards.

For some reason I have yet to discover, if you push the jaw forwards, it also causes the thread to engage. I'm going to guess the half nut hasnt fully "unwound", possibly because the button has worn slightly meaning it isnt exactly operating at its best. Mine also seems to want to engage in a particular thread (assuming a double helix :dontknow:) because half the time it engages perfectly and half the time it wants to jam.

12. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I bought a new SIP band saw the same as ur's.......after 15 years the screw thread went as well.......in fact just replaced it, the originals are not made anymore.......
    I bought a meter of Acme screw thread and two nuts (lump of bar with the thread in it NOT A PROPER NUT) from eBay......
    theres no auto disconect for the vice anymore but it's not often I have to wind it right in or out........
    the only thing the thread on mine works in reverse.........
    but for about £25 who cares.........
    for new blades go to TUFF SAWs (in Wales I think) mine are HSS with Cob......the dogs.....get the suds pump working tho....
    good luck........

13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Thanks for the info Frank. Can I grab your old nut?

IYSWIM :o

14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

What kind of a question's that? :D

15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well it was bound to happen. I have started stripping it down. I need to get at the metalwork at the base and that means taking off the bed and the blade frame. So I popped the motor off.

[​IMG]

Pulled out the tank and disconnected.

[​IMG]

The plan is to try and keep each "system" in one piece for restoration so for example the electrics come off as one unit

[​IMG]

...and go straight into a bucket. Likewise the coolant system, motor, gearbox etc. The trick is not to loose momentum and try to keep going at it while still keeping an eye on how it's all going to go back together. Once the fiddly bits are out of the way, tidying up the larger pieces should be quick and easy...

slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
  16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Take one last look at a working bandsaw...

[​IMG]

This is the offending area...

[​IMG]

Everything must go!

[​IMG]

Upskirt!

[​IMG]

A few of the panels were a bit "out" and only three wheels touched the ground at any one time. Turns out the main tray is twisted and bent. An easy fix once its apart but I am now convinced a full strip down was the best option.

[​IMG]

The base is a lot more bent but again an easy fix. The only question being how did this happen and did the happening damage anything else.

[​IMG]

This is what £100 quid looks like when you knock it into a bucket.

[​IMG]

:o

slim_boy_fat and skotl like this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Take pics as you dismantle. ;)

Ashley Burton likes this.
  18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I also bag up any fasteners or bits and bobs that belong to a single component. Makes it a damned site easier to reassemble without having to rummage around in the bottom of a bucket.

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    More straightening and fettling, I decided to bolt up the base then paint it.

[​IMG]

everything fits as it should

[​IMG]

Looks straight, square and no massive gaps.

[​IMG]

Paint tomorrow...

Andy the fixer and Robotstar5 like this.
  20. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Hit a snag today. I am using some industrial xylene based paint and it is reacting with the remnants of paint. Also big problem with bits of skin in the paint.

I can fix the skin issue with a filter but am struggling to think how to deal with the crinkle finish over the old paint.

Advertisements