Clarke 7 inch Metal Bandsaw

1. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

1/4" Whitworth, surely?

2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

very very impressed with the methodical simple approach to this refurb and would love to own that machine myself:thumbup:

Screwdriver likes this.
  3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Don't know. You tell me. I'll have a look see if I have any Whitworth/UNC thread gauges. The screws are so short it shouldn't matter. The blade guard threads are stripped anyway where someone almost managed to fit an M6 then promptly bent it!

4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

UNC is correct but, as you say, it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Made a vertical table (!) from a racking panel I've had kicking about for years. 3mm hard aluminium. I was worried about bending the edges but a few good bonks on the flypress and all ok.

[​IMG]

I was going to offset it but the table is a teensy bit on the large side so I kept it central for reasons which will become clear later.

[​IMG]

Having a Gabro notcher is a blessing sometimes. This is one of those times! Note: I keep it out in the rain, I cut to one side of the line. Square is more important than offset.

[​IMG]

I'm sure I've seen this chap before somewhere :cool:

[​IMG]

So I need to square up the blade to be perpendicular to the table (or v.v.) and I am going to fit some slip brackets on this side. Bolt through the holes and triangulate down to the hinge bolts where they will slip over a fitting I haven't made yet. Don't want to be unbolting stuff every time I swap out the table. The other side will get a similar fixture which can go straight to the main frame.

[​IMG]

As it is, it already works well but screams like a banshee. I'll stick some heavy bituminised sheet on the underside (it's some of that roofing joint).

[​IMG]

6. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Development & restoration - nice job :thumbup: enjoyed reading this

Screwdriver likes this.
  7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Finished bracket prior to paint.

[​IMG]

Stuck on some super sticky, heavy roof jointing membrane to dampen vibes.

[​IMG]

Fitted. Works well, very solid base, very quiet in operation.

[​IMG]

I might do something similar to the other end if only to allow adjustment for square/droop (just in case) but I think it may be overkill.

indy4x, Gragson, Robotstar5 and 2 others like this.
  8. zx9

zx9 Member

Much better than the original table which is always a joke what ever version / make / colour band saw.

9. fizzy Member

uk
    Awesome job - you have rebuilt almost everything! All except for the one thing wrong on my identical Axminster unit! The hydraulic damper. Mine is now moving in leaps and bounds - not good - end up doing it by hand. is it easy to bleed/refill?

10. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Thanks. I did pull the lovely brass lever off and straighten it as much as I dare but didn't need to strip the damper unit. My guess is it will be a super simple item to strip but you will need a new set of seals almost for sure. Any faults should be easy to spot but theres not much that can go wrong other than worn seals.

11. DanAir Member

I think our saws look like they came out of the same factory....closest I have seen anyway including the weird vice pin thing (which I find infuriating).
    You are right that the cheapo or even the better quality bearings won't last well because of all that water flushing through them. To prevent this, I managed to find rubber sealed SKF, new old stock going cheap on the Bay. Part number is SKF 6082RSH Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 8x22x7mm box of 10. Made in Italy. Paid equivalent of about 30 quid.
    These are about the same price for 10 https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearing/608-2rsh-skf-sealed-deep-groove-ball-bearing-8x22x7mm/3554

My saw hadn't had much use (it still had the original blade, but looked like it had never been serviced or even had the blade adjusted for that matter) but the tray was pretty rusty. Matched the paint by eye with help of the Dulux colour machine and used ordinary hd enamel with a high build zinc primer undercoat. Didn't need to paint the arm or the base, just gave them a T cut and wax. My gearbox oil looked the same as yours so got the thickest oil I could find to replace. Put a water purification tablet into the coolant tank to stop it from smelling. It seems to drain back into the tank leaving the tray nice and dry. I use the spray version of 3 in One on the vice and bed to stop rust.

Before as seen in advert:
    $saw1.png

20180906_015805_resizeda.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Hopefuldave, dobbslc, indy4x and 3 others like this.
  12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Hi DanAir, wondering why your vice clamping screw sticks out so much? What's going on there?

PS I hesitate to use the coolant especially if it's going to be dual purpose wood and metal. Sounds like a recipe for a sticky mess! I just run the blade super slow and the hydraulic feed ultra light. I am in no rush...

PPS I think my bearings were like, a pound! They go round. Jobs a good'un.

13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    OMG! You chose that colour!!

You can go off people you know...

:D

14. DanAir Member

I don't really like the colour but it didnt need a whole repaint so it was either match it or paint the whole thing and I couldnt be a_sed to do the whole thing. Besides it's actually very close to Makita blue so it matches my other tools!

Not sure about the screw, it was the previous owner's pic, when he was selling it.

I know how you feel about the coolant....I felt the same....didnt want to ruin that showroom shine but when it came to cutting some thicker stuff I just couldnt hold back and took the plunge. Best thing I did coz it now cuts so much better. Before, the blade would get stuck during a cut, but since the coolant, I have to say it's been a breeze. If you keep the filter in the pan clean, the coolant should drain back leaving filings which you can just sweep up easily when they're dry.

15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Dammit. Can't believe I haven't made a fully dimensioned model of this band saw. I need to mock up another table mod...

Watch this space! :D

bigegg likes this.
  16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Wow. Thanks to @Fazerrus, I have the perfect accessory for this bandsaw. It will fit a treat!

[​IMG]

Not only does it fit without me having to chop off the far corner...

[​IMG]

I am also quietly confident I can mount it in such a way I can access the tilting mechanism.

Result! :thumbup:

Barlidge, zx9, Hopefuldave and 4 others like this.
  17. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

:thumbup::thumbup: nice result

Advertisements