Churchill Computurn 290 retrofit (again)

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

This might be the way to go on the thin wires, heat shrink it onto the bootlace ferrule end and that will stop it slipping. Below is on 0.9mm OD wire.

ScreenHunter_2487 Feb. 23 17.25.jpg

slim_boy_fat, Luke, eSCHEn and 2 others like this.
  2. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Neat as man, looks good. Yeah the Dymo adds a bit before and after the print which you always want to cut off. PITA really.

Hood likes this.
  3. Hood

On the tape it is not too bad but the heat shrink is only 1.5m long (costs £25) and each one you do you lose 25mm of heat shrink. If you remember you can do all the ones you need in one print just by adding a couple of spaces between each and that way it is only 1x 25mm wasted. Just learning the ins and outs of the machine but it is quite impressive, even different fonts and you can even have shaded test or outline or both, boxes around etc see below. ScreenHunter_2489 Feb. 23 19.20.jpg

eSCHEn likes this.
  4. Hood

The lathe started playing up badly the other day so I decided I had had enough and it was time to start ripping stuff out even though I don't really have the time at the moment.

Ended up with a pile of components.

ScreenHunter_2540 Mar. 09 18.37.jpg

I brought the base board home with me and have spent the evening cleaning all the sticky pads off of it and then I started putting the trunking, relays, PLC and connectors on but I hadn't brought enough of the trunking home so couldn't get it finished so that will be a job for another day.

ScreenHunter_2560 Mar. 10 21.13.jpg

5. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

Can you print on normal heatshrink or do you have to buy there heatshrink?

6. Hood

You need to use heatshrink that is in a cassette which contains a ribbon which I presume is required for the printing, so if you could load a cassette with standard heat shrink it would probably work. Where you would get the ribbon however I have no idea and loading a cassette looks like it would be fiddly. The compatible one I am using at the moment seems fine and is 1/3 the price.

7. Hood

Getting some of the wiring done, still a bit to go before the panel is ready to fit back in so I can wire up the CNC controls wiring but hopefully it will be ready soon. I can then move on to the other panel which will have the mains, contactors, drives etc.

Oh and the trunking is all straight, just the camera makes it look squint, honest :D

ScreenHunter_2563 Mar. 15 23.57.jpg

galooph, Seadog, RichardM and 6 others like this.
  8. decca

decca Forum Supporter

You amaze me.:thumbup:

addjunkie and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. awemawson Forum Supporter

Very neat, a lovely job.

Beware of those 37 pin D Sub to terminal blocks if they are second hand. On my Beaver I've been having intermittent problems eventually traced to one of those with loads of dry joints. I spent an entire day, unwiring, labelling and re-soldering all five of them, one block had all 37 pins in a bad state , with others with just a few pins. On the bad one, each pin had a solder 'skirt' about 0.5 mm off the board! Check them !

Dry-Joints-Everywhere.jpg
    IMG_8597.JPG
    Solder-Side-Revealed.jpg

10. MCKDAVID Member

excellent, simple solution:thumbup:

11. Hood

Mine are fine from the looks of them, can't recall if I bought them new or not as I have had them for a good while.

12. Hood

It does a good job and will help in the future if I have to go in there to alter anything but it is quite expensive as you only get 1.5m of shrink on a cassette and it doesn't go far especially with the waste on each print. I have learned now to do them all in batches with 3 spaces between each one and that means I only lose 1 length of 25mm tube at the start instead of 1 for each.

13. Hood

A load more wires connected, still a load more to go and I will need to get more heatshrink, have gone through 3 cassettes already and am on the last one.
    I should have replaced the lower relays with Finder type as is next to the PNOZ safety relay, would have saved a load of space as half of them are not being reused, at least I will have spares I suppose.

ScreenHunter_2567 Mar. 17 21.52.jpg

MattH, slim_boy_fat, daleyd and 4 others like this.
  14. jenki Forum Supporter

Blimey I thought PABX's were complicated!

15. Hood

Bit of progress this evening.
    I had found that the control was set just a bit too high. I wear varifocals and I was finding the height it was meant I had to tilt my head up so that I was looking through the lower section of the specs, this would make for a very sore neck with anything longer than a minute or two at the control.
    I chopped the bracket I had made and welded in a vertical section so that I could drop the cabinet by 40mm and it has made all the difference.
    I also got the wires routed to the electrical cabinet, it is a bit rough and I will possibly make some sort of conduit for it at some stage but for now it will do.

ScreenHunter_2584 Mar. 28 20.29.jpg

I started on the mains/drives section of the panel but forgot I hadn't ordered any din rail so I couldn't get the fuses and contactors fitted and thus the wiring will have to wait but at least I got the main breaker, the 110v supply and the three servo drives and Yaskawa VFD fitted. I would have preferred to have all of the drives and VFD on the one level but the air gap required around the VFD especially meant that there was not enough room so I had to fit the turrets servo drive above the axis ones.
    ScreenHunter_2581 Mar. 28 20.27.jpg

I also got the other panel fitted into the cabinet and most of the wiring sorted out into what will be getting used and what wont be.

ScreenHunter_2583 Mar. 28 20.28.jpg ScreenHunter_2582 Mar. 28 20.28.jpg

eSCHEn, awemawson and galooph like this.
  16. eSCHEn

Lovely work again Hood, nice to make some progress :thumbup:

Funny how it's the "ahhhhhhh" moment that let's you know you've fixed the ergonomics of something :)

17. Hood

Aye, it is no fun being a short arris, thought I was going to have to stand on a fish box to operate it :D

slim_boy_fat and eSCHEn like this.
  18. eSCHEn

I also suffer from a similar vertical scenario. When I walk off the kerb my knuckles hit it :(

slim_boy_fat and Hood like this.
  19. Hood

Quite a bit of progress today. Just home and probably still would have been there if my LED torch hadn't run out of battery.

Quick vid of the control switching on via the proper switch and the coolant and inhibit switch working. Pic at the end shows the progress with the wiring, still a fair bit to go but I am on the home straight. The setting up of the controls parameters and the servo drives I/O etc will be next after the wiring is complete.

Luke, galooph, eSCHEn and 2 others like this.
  20. eSCHEn

Woo woo, awesome mate!

Hood likes this.
Advertisements