Churchill Computurn 290 retrofit (again)

1. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

So what do you draw the circuit diagrams with?
    I tried eplan[?] and gave up and started drawing it on paper, go the limit switch page done
    and then lost it.

2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

QElectro Tech

3. graffian

cheers.

Are the symbols you used all from the included library?

4. Hood

Most but the ones such as the simple boxes with contacts and text I did myself. Itisquite easy to make your own stuff up but I just keep it simple most of the time.

5. Hood

Bleeding typical, I have a total of 24 outputs on my PLC (16 main and 8 on a module) I need 23 although I could get away with 22 but of that 22 I need 5 sourcing outputs and 17 Sinking Outputs. Problem is you can only set the I/O as sinking or sourcing in banks of 4 so no matter which way I try and arrange them I am always 1 short :D

6. Hood

Problem solved. The 4 prox sensors I have on the turret to determine the tool position are NPN's so I can take them direct to the SZGH controls inputs as I do not need to do anything fancy with them in the PLC, they are just direct connected :)

HughF, Seadog and daleyd like this.
  7. Hood

Got the ladder all rearranged and all is working or at least the ones I can test here at home.

Simple enough ladder but it is doing all I need and will save a lot of messing around with relays etc.

ScreenHunter_2459 Feb. 17 14.08.jpg ScreenHunter_2460 Feb. 17 14.08.jpg ScreenHunter_2461 Feb. 17 14.09.jpg

Does anyone know if tubes similar to these ones on the wires are available, I assume a printer would also be required if there is such a thing. I have the old style numbers that slip on but don't think I have any letters and these are much nicer anyway.

ScreenHunter_2454 Feb. 16 23.05.jpg

daleyd likes this.
  8. graffian

I saw a printer on ebay, I think it was made by Hellerman, but I bought a box of the slip on things[they must have been cheaper].
    My mill was done with them.

9. Hood

I will probably just end up going with a Dymo or a Brother printer that does the heatshrink tubes. Only issue is I think the smallest they do is 6mm and with a 3:1 shrinkage I think 2mm will still be too big for a lot of the wires I will have.

10. awemawson Forum Supporter

If you can print slips of paper, then clear heat shrink tube over works well, BUT no use using a thermal printer or they go black all over when you heat the shrink. Yes I've done that !

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

Seadog and Hood like this.
  11. Hood

Decided to just go for a Brother E300VP from Screwfix, they seem to be about the cheapest. I will order up some heat shrink and see what that is like but it will also be good for labelling other parts in the panel such as contactors, breakout boards etc.

12. daleyd

daleyd Member

I usually use the slide on type, but I do have an older brother label printer with the heat shrink tube which works quite well.For smaller cables I usually do as in your pic and just loop it around.

The clip on type are OK too, especially for smaller cables, where you clip on a small tag, then slide the numbers/letters on to this.

13. Hood

I will probably have to do that with the heatshrink as most of the wiring, from the control at least, is just 1mm OD so the heatshrink will likely only go down to 2mm. I could do it flag style with the normal tape but not keen on that. Might try the flex tape and wrap around the wire, just tried with the normal tape and it is not too bad so the flexible should be much easier.

daleyd likes this.
  14. MCKDAVID Member

try your local industrial sparkies they might have the machine for cable tags, and core Idents. On the last project, they used to send an excel list of the tags required, and they'd just print them off on as necessary. Probably not worth buying the machine for a one off like this.
    if there's nothing around you, try eberdeen... they'll certainly be someone who has it.

15. Hood

Already bought. The local Spark has a machine but I have a few more uses for it than just this, labels for switch panels on boats etc so I reckon I will get my monies worth out of it in short order :)

MCKDAVID likes this.
  16. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

I use a label printer with flat white labels. Works quite nicely using two rows and the smallest font. This is on a 2mm jobber bit:
    WP_20190218_11_02_44_Pro.jpg WP_20190218_10_57_04_Pro.jpg WP_20190218_11_01_43_Pro.jpg WP_20190218_11_02_19_Pro.jpg

Parm, Hood and daleyd like this.
  17. MCKDAVID Member

nice one @eSCHEn had the same machine for years didn't know it had a second line option,:ashamed:

cheers

@Hood
    cool, thought about buying one for the cnc panel, but for a one off wouldnt justify it... but yours seems cheap enough, so might just go ahead.

eSCHEn likes this.
  18. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

"Insert" button -> "Second Line". You get a display like this, everything on the left is the top line and on the right is the bottom. Use the d-pad to choose where you type:

• WP_20190218_11_58_06_Pro.jpg
    Hood and MCKDAVID like this.
  19. MCKDAVID Member

excellent, cheers...

eSCHEn likes this.
  20. Hood

I tried it on 1mm wire and it was ok but that was just with the standard tape. I have ordered some heat shrink and also the flexible tape so we will see.

Already had a couple of guys interested in it for stuff on their boats.

Advertisements