Churchill Computurn 290 retrofit (again)

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Fair bit of progress with the wiring. I did waste about 2 hours trying to separate the limit switches into positive and negative but eventually after tracing things on the lathe, the connection boxes were in the most awkward of places, it turns out that they are not linked together where the original wiring diagrams say. It would mean having to run some new wires and as the conduits are pretty full up I have decided to see how the SZGH control will behave with them all being linked. I think it will be fine as it seems to be fairly smart and knows which way it is moving and will act on a switch but whether it will allow me to back off if the negative is also active when it has tripped going positive, time will tell.

The fuse holders just turned up about 4:30, I have them fitted and hopefully I will get the last of the wiring done tomorrow and then it will be on to setting the drives I/O correctly and then controls parameters. Hopefully there will be no smoke when I connect up the mains again :D

ScreenHunter_2586 Apr. 02 20.06.jpg

daleyd, galooph, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  2. Hood

Had to do some work today so only managed to get onto the lathe after 5:30. I connected up the mains again and switched on gingerly waiting for a bang but all seemed fine.
    Went to the control and switched on and it lit up :)

ScreenHunter_2598 Apr. 04 20.09.jpg

Went round the back and checked and the drives/PLC etc were all working like they should be and no smoke :)

ScreenHunter_2597 Apr. 04 20.09.jpg

Tried the rotary switch and the hydraulics and oil pump came on but no oil cooler fans. Tried the chuck and it didn't work but I could hear the relays clicking so I knew the I/O side of the control was working. After a bit of investigation I found out that there was no 110v supply, traced it to the contactor, looks like it is a duff contactor as it is pulling in fine but there is no 110v on the output side. Hopefully it is just burnt contacts but I will have to investigate that tomorrow. If not then it will be next week before I can get a new contactor as I don't think there is any place local that will have such a thing.

3. Hood

Got the contactor sorted, it was indeed dirty oily contacts, all cleaned and working now :)

Cant get the turret to unclamp, must have the wrong relay connected and to be sure I really need someone else here as I need to operate it via the relays and for them to see which valve is operating. According to the original machine drawings I have it correct but something is amiss. I can manually unclamp the turret via the push button on the solenoid so I know it is not a hydraulic issue.

Anyway, now on to the bits I have working so far :)

optima21, Luke and eSCHEn like this.
  4. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Even though I know how it's done there is still something quite magical about a system you made which by pressing a button a machine does something.

5. Hood

I found the problem with the turret. There are 4 hydraulic solenoids numbered 1-4. I only use one with the turret I made, the other 3 were used with the original turret that came with the lathe.
    I thought I was using solenoid 2 and according to the wiring diagrams from the original setup the wires were 201 for solenoid 1, 202 for 2, 203 for 3 and 204 for 4. I had connected 202,203 and 204 up just in case I ad got something wrong, sadly I hadn't connected up wire 201 and that was the wire that actually worked solenoid 2 and not wire 202 as per the wiring :D

Got it connected and it was now unclamping like it should. Problem now was it was not indexing. I found the problem there, the Oldham coupling had been smashed up when I had tried to index the turret earlier, I had forgotten to modify the macro and the turret had tried to Index before it had unclamped and thus the coupling sheared. I stripped the turret down and replaced the coupling and now it is doing what it should :)

awemawson, Luke, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  6. Hood

Miserable day here today, grey, overcast and raining but I will have to venture down to the workshop at some point today. In the mean time however I am going through the documentation of the control and the VFD to try and see why things were not working but so far I have not found anything :( I will have to get the meter onto the wiring and see if I can find the issue, hopefully just a wrong connection or parameter.

As a side note though, yesterdays mishap with the Oldham coupling at least showed me that the prox switches I fitted were doing there job correctly. With the coupling smashed up the turret would unclamp and sit there and the macro would hang, waiting for the feedback from the Prox's to be correct so it could then remove the unclamp signal and wait for the clamped switch input. If however I rotated the turret by hand it would suddenly clamp as the correct position was reached, so that at least was a good outcome of me smashing up the coupling :D

galooph, Luke and eSCHEn like this.
  7. Hood

Not been a good day today, couldn't get the VFD working the spindle :(
    I hooked up a laptop with the Yaskawa software on it and I could view the signals from the CNC and they were perfect, Run signal present, voltage on the input but nothing happening. You would think if the drive is seeing the correct inputs then it would run especially as it had been running previously with no changes to the parameters, granted it had played up the day I ripped the old control out but I think that was the old control that was having issues as there were other problems that day.
    I tried running the drive via the softwares control panel and it did exactly as it should and powered the spindle motor and varied the speed as I varied the frequency in the software so it looks like the drive itself is ok but for some reason the drive is not getting the commands even though I can view them in the software :dontknow:
    Now when I power up the drive I get an Alarm with "CALL" displayed. It says it is a serial comms error what ever that means :D As soon as I connect the computer the error disappears but I can still not run the drive via the CNC :(

Some pics of the software showing the signals are fine.
    This was when I was going CCW, signals are correct but nothing happened.

ScreenHunter_2605 Apr. 06 19.00.jpg

This was a different page, I was commanding a CW rotation in this one but again signals are as they are supposed to be.

ScreenHunter_2606 Apr. 06 19.01.jpg

This is the error I get when I power the drive and the only way to stop it seems to be to connect the software, as soon as I do that the alarm switches off but the drive will still not run via the CNC :(

ScreenHunter_2607 Apr. 06 19.01.jpg

8. eSCHEn

You know the hardware's not my forté pal but it sounds like it's expecting the computer to be there. Assuming, of course, that the laptop is connected via the serial port?

Maybe you need a dummy resistor between some pins which will fool the CNC into thinking there's a PC connected?

9. Hood

Yes it is connected via the serial port but it shouldn't really be needing it connected. Been doing some searching and it seems I can run a diagnostics check from the software. Not sure how yet but if I can find it I will try it tomorrow and see.

10. eSCHEn

Okay then another thought - can the unit be put into "programming" mode? If it was in such a state it might be expecting the PC (hence the error when it doesn't see it) but if you disabled it / flipped the DIP switch then it would assume "Okay I'm in run mode now so no serial errors kthxbye"?

11. Hood

Not really sure, saved the parameters to a file and I was going to bring it home to have a look through them but I was that pee'd off I forgot :D
    Only dip switches on it are for Sink/Source, V or I input on ref inputs and one for Modbus or something like that. All are where they are meant to be.
    I think the board may be knackered, will see what tomorrow brings.

12. eSCHEn

Sounds like you've got it well covered, hope it's something daft and not the board pal :hug:

13. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

Depending on the drive, the inputs can be assigned to specific functions, so having the correct digital and analogue inputs coming in to the drive doesn't mean that it'll do anything.

But......if it was working before and isn't now, what's changed?

From reading your posts, it sounds like the drive had a serial connection to the old CNC controller and therefore you didn't used to have the 'call' status?

Have you got the manual?

14. MCKDAVID Member

Maybe some form of electrical interference because of the floating voltages on the cable screen wires or bad grounds picking up background EMFs?

15. Hood

Just back from the workshop and no joy.

@Luke No it was connected via a spindle drive board that took step/dir signals from Mach3 and converted them to an analogue voltage 0-10v. It also was worked Fwd/Rev via relays on that board so more or less the same way as I am doing now except the control is sending out the 0-10v signal and instead of relays controlling Fwd/Rev it is transistors (I think) in the control.

@MCKDAVID
    The voltage monitored via the laptop is rock steady so I don't think it is that.

16. Hood

Maybe I have found it. I brought the parameter file home with me and for some reason it seems to be set to Memobus for the control method. How that happened I have no idea as I had not been into the parameters until today and it had not been working yesterday. I know for sure I hadn't been into the parameters as I just made up a new cable last night.

Here is what it is set to

ScreenHunter_2608 Apr. 06 22.05.jpg

Here is what I think it should be set to.

ScreenHunter_2609 Apr. 06 22.05.jpg

I am not going to go down to the workshop again, tempted as I am, so it will have to wait until tomorrow to see if that is indeed the problem.

17. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

Looks like you've found the issue, to me. :thumbup:

Odd that its set to the bus, as it's not even the default option?

18. Hood

Nope, the default option is Digital Operator and I had originally set it to Control Circuit Terminal.

I hope that is the problem but how it changed I have no idea.

19. Hood

Well that indeed was the problem, how it changed I have no idea but I see in the manual it says if not using an input to put it to 7 in the parameters so as it can not be falsely triggered, I will have to have a look later and see what they are set to.

I have a new problem though, the electromagnetic gears in the gearbox are 12v but they seem to be shorting to the machine in some way as I have no resistance between their common 0V wire and the machine. I will have a look and see if I can find the problem but if I can't I will try using a separate 24v supply for them and see if that works to get me going until I can investigate further.

20. eSCHEn

Never rains but it pours eh? :/ :hug:

Good stuff on finding the issue from yesterday though :)

Hood likes this.
Advertisements