Car based buggy

1. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l'll test it for ya, seems to be holding up fine so far, will put some 2" solid bar in and find the weak link :o , might be the incoming electric supply :laughing:

2. stuvy

stuvy Member

Its funny i just had a machine dropped of by a mate for me about something totally different, il post it up soon but he said there hydaulic bender was used to re bend something in-situ and managed to bed the ram! the lads are trying to fix/replace it before there manager comes back in the new year or there all in the brown stuff:laughing:

3. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l dont think bent rams are uncommon, l have one on one of my excavators been like it for 10 years plus, dosent seem to mind being bent but l must get round to sorting one day

but we have an issue with bent rams with this bender before it gets round to working properly ;)

4. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    laying out the frame work is easy and elastic to some degree, most of it depends on what size ram you have been able "aquire" at the right price
    you need to have some offset between the 2 ram pins and the die centre hole while its in the parked position other wise it will want to bend the pins instead of starting the bend, but if you put to much offset in then you wont get to 90 degrees in one push

heres one l found on the net somewhere

[​IMG]

the ram pins and die almost line up

[​IMG]

not much leverage there to help the bend get going

l ended up something like this after loads of dicking about

[​IMG]

5. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    right l was playing around with the ring roller that l had just made some new formers for and ended up producing several hoops in the the name of research/testing, being a tight old git l had to use these hoops up

[​IMG]

these will do for the legs to keep it upright

stitched on like this

[​IMG]

stable but not very mobile so out with the 9" grinder and remove 2 bricks of each leg :o

[​IMG]

glue on some bits of flat followed by some casters and we have something thats starting to look like a hat stand:laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back up the right way and we have something that we can at least push about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    It just AMAZES me how much useful stuff you seem to have knocking around in your shed!

7. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Where's/what's the pump from?

8. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l know l call it a shed but warehouse is probally more descriptive, sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

l just dont know where it all comes from, having space is like having a crap magnet

9. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Blimey - you have some great toys there!

What's the prison van going to be used for?

10. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    the pump or pumps as there is 2 of them (luckily) l bought of ebay for £30, came of a guy up north sheffield way l think, he is a service engine for a lift company ( which is what served my time as when l left school ) and had been modenising some 2 floor hydraulic lifts, big ram under the lift car just pushes it up one floor and it own weight will bring it back down when the valve is opened, nice and quiet for residential applications cant even hear the pump running, anyway the first pump the blue one l couldent get to work :mad: so l had to switch to the other one but you will see that when we get that far

11. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Like the shed! Prison van looks like a fun project

12. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    well the prison lorry is to live in, at least part time anyway, it has a lot of things going for it that make it suited to that use, not least of which they are cheap to buy as the single rear door make them not a lot of use for carrying goods, this one has done 75,000 km and was around £1200, not even run in lol, next they are a glastonite fridge body so the walls are 2" high density foam, really well insulated on top of that l have lined it with 3/4" ply :o, under the floor there are webasto diesel heaters and behind the areofoil on the cab roof is the biggest airconditioning plant l have ever seen, all the bits l want really,

its moved out of the barn now and has been painted up like a horse box ;)
    it lives along side the stables under a leantoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it lives under that lean to where the suzuki pick up is, that must be a pic from some time ago as there is water in the duck pond, still really low even now, one of my next project is to build a big diesel water pump and suck the river into my pond :o

Shox Dr likes this.
  13. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    I'm even more amazed now!

14. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    pictures are probally 18 months ago, that collection of sticks poking out of the ground in the last pic above matured into another stable block a year ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

duck pond is to the right and the "horse box" to the left just out of the pic

15. Shox Dr

I converted a crim van about 10yrs ago cost me about 17k all in. Had 36k offered for it. Wish I'd taken it. As it was nicked about 6months later

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

not having much luck with your motors shox :(thats 2 u have had nicked isnt it .they called paddy wagons arent they :laughing:

17. Shox Dr

I seem to build desirable trucks fella. But you're right pikey defesftesfgr

18. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    sorry to hear that shox dr, h'mm 17k into 36k new career ahead perhaps :laughing:

dont them cells take a lot of stripping out, 40 billion rivits to drill out lol,
    mind you l am still finding uses for them nice stainless piano hinges

Andy

19. Shox Dr

Send me a pm and when Im not using a phone I'll post up some pictures. The lock mechanism assembly is far better

20. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    right the troublesome rams,

l bought these for another purpose about a year ago, l got them for £30 for the pair from our local metal recyclers who had several all brand new, absolute bargain, :vsad:
    when will l learn you get what you pay for lol

[​IMG]

so being a skinflint l decide to nick one of these out of the "shed" and replace it later
    all seemed good it was the right length and stroke etc, well near enough since l wasent shelling out any money, so the frame was drilled with 35mm holes at the bottom to accept the 35mm pin
    well guess what they were at the scrap yard because they were SCRAP :o
    when l powered one out it was like a banana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so off to the shed and get the other one, ha ha bent like a banana too :doh::doh:

back to plan A then, l can still use them for what l bought them for, l have one more barn/workshop to build, maybe next year, this one l want secure to keep my toys in, concrete floor to bolt some car lifts down to and maybe even cast the walls in with the floor slab so its like a concrete bunker, the door is always going to be issue to secure and thats what the rams were bought for, intending to make the doors out of 4"x2" box section with the 4" on the floor, the plan is to bury the rams in the door way before the concrete floor is poured that way when l lock up l can raise the rams and they will rise inside the door passing through the horizontle 4" by 2" sections, should hold back a ram raid by a landrover, so even though they are bent they should still work in that application ??

Advertisements