Car based buggy

1. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Portal axles are very hard to get hold of, not cheap to say the least. Plus they weigh a lot

2. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hey thats quite a neat solution, probally best suited for solid axles like landrovers etc where the extra weight wouldent even be noticed, might be difficult to incorperate it into lightweight double A arm independent but interesting stuff non the less

3. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    indeed,
    l was offered some brand new uaz portal rear axles complete with difflock, about the same size as landrover, £250 each, l should have had ten l reckon l could have doubled my money on them lol

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

As i read that i thought they were cheap!

When i pop up to see your buggy il explain an idea i had about suspension its far to complex to explain here but i know one idea is already in use the second one iv dreamed up so probably wont work:ashamed::laughing:

5. Shox Dr

@250 they were very cheap a LR is far more than that

6. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    certainly but really when it comes to suspension design you need to talk to Mark who built the motorbike powered 4 wheel drive, but thats no problem we can take my buggy up to Marks track and you can have a go in his buggy as well as picking his brains on suspension design, bring a change of underwear wont you ,:laughing::laughing::laughing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark is working on a new suspension layout for a new buggy have a read of about the fourth post down on this link,
    http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=14499&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=510

Andy

7. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    yup very cheap at £250, but they were in poland, my pal was out there delivering in a transit sized van, he rang me to tell me about the axles and did l want some ? well the first answer was yes but then the logistical problems begin, they wanted cash , how do l get get £2500 out to poland like today ? western union :o l dont think so, and how heavy are they, or how many will a transit carry, maybe ten ? and what happens if he got stopped at dover customs and they decided they were worth £1000 each and wanted import duty, l could see me being out of pocket, so in the end we dident bother but l gather they can still be got for a little more, the diff ratios dont match landrovers so you would need a front as well but the stud patten is the same as diahatsu and suzuki

8. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    well l havent really done much on it as of late , work and other things kept getting in the way, but now l have a couple of days off its time to pick it back up again

decided l dont like the fuel tank, to big and to boxy

[​IMG]

so l think l will put it on the shelf marked"use another day"

thinking l will just make a round tall cylinder as l can roll the body and its just one weld up the seam plus a top and a bottom disc and its done, far less welding than that box one,

might look a bit bare or simple but l was thinking l could wrap a print around it so as it looks like a giant coke can sat in teh back of the buggy

9. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    so l just need to dig it out from under all the crap that appears in the workshop when you dont go in there for a few days

l dont know where it all comes from lol

[​IMG]

10. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    one more bit of welding to do before l can put the last coat of paint on and thats a rear bumper to join the 2 sides of the mgf subframe together and give me some where to mount a tow ball, not to tow with but to give me a handy point to strap it on the back of the truck with

[​IMG]

11. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    and thats what stopped me from working on it as l wanted to bend some tube for the rear bumper, l gave away my old pipe kinker some time ago thinking it would force me into building a tuber bender instead, it took a while but it has now lol

so l set about building a tube bender by having a mooch about on the web to see how others had done it

this is the one l liked the look of most

http://reference.toolandfab.com/writeups/hydrobender_webpage/index.htm

so l looked at what he had done and tweaked it a bit, l couldent see why it couldent be vertical instead of horizontle figuered it would use up less real estate in the workshop that way ??

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  12. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    well the vital ingredient is the die (s) thought about making one but doubt it would be much cheaper than buying one and it certainly wouldent have all the research and development behind it that one from pro tools etc would have,
    so if l bought one and it failed to work l would know it wasent the die rather my design :laughing:

Matt at stakesys has lots of different sizes in stock and is always easy and helpfull to deal with

http://www.stakesys.co.uk/product/test_222/

13. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    so l ordered a die for a 1.5" dia tube with a 5" CLR and 240 degree wrap round

ouch £245 plus VAT :o but it wont work with out it

so l have one of these

[​IMG]

l also managed to borrow a 48mm die of a pal and measure a 1"by 4 " CLR die for the pin holes

[​IMG]

so l have 2 dies to play with until he wants the 48mm back again, this gives enough info to work out the arms that have all the holes drilled in them

[​IMG]

all l did was look at the arms in the link to cebby's and scale the rough size up and then used the dies l had to work out the hole spacing

[​IMG]

14. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    so l has some plates that looked like they would work or at least they did in my head anyway,

now l cant say l was over keen on them looking like someone elses arms/plates so l started messing around with different shapes but with all the pin holes that l had worked out from measuring the dies l had on the bench

had a bit of a play around with some plastic arms while l was experimenting
    so much easier to cut than 12mm steel :laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. stuvy

stuvy Member

what are the pins made out of, N19 or bright bar?

16. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hi Stuvy

they are just bright bar bought in at 22mm and 1"
    will see how it goes if they show signs of stress l will get some better ones made

17. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    for the frame work l just went mooching to see what l could find, anything study would do, managed to find some channel left over from a sign l made

l seem to be some pics missing so you will just have to imagine a piece of 5" by 2" channel lying on the floor with an angle grinder lying next to it

so 2 pieces of channel back to back with a couple of plates joining them and we are away, 35mm hole near the bottom through both of them for the pin that anchors the bottom of the ram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Shox Dr

Tractor pins are cheap, and already have the d handle fitted

19. stuvy

stuvy Member

That alright, il let you do the destructive testing until i sort mine out in the new year:whistle:

20. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l guess a visit to the farmers shop is on the cards then, they would be strong wouldent they

Advertisements