4. :whistle: not me sir... honest

anyone got any hangover cures?

5. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Tin bashing.

6. stuvy

stuvy Member

in andy's last picture have you noticed how much hydraulic fluid is all over his work bench?

Why did that happen andy?:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
    (i have read the build on another forum:whistle:)

7. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    ok l was having a few teething troubles getting it to work at first, l had 2 pumps l chose the blue one for the technical reason it was bigger :whistle:

[​IMG]

having mounted it onto the frame and plumbed it in with 4 hydraulic hoses l couldent get the ram to extend which ever position l had the lever in,

so simple test undo the hyd hose of the out let port on the pump if its making pressure we should see some flow, simple......... but stupid, it makes pressure, it oiled the workshop in .25 of a milli second, still the wooden bench wont be going rusty anytime soon,

[​IMG]

ok it pumps but not enough was my conclusion as it wont work teh ram, tried a different pump and it was fine, when l got this pump there was 4 open ports and l am not sure l have it connected up right, l might have the ram connected the pressure relief port for all l know, so l just swapped it for the other pump and will come back and mess with this one another time

ok so l swapped to this pump, same thing but just a pretty shade of white instead of blue
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course the fixing detail was different so l had to cut the brackets off and remake ho hum

[​IMG]

this pump has this little soliniod on the side which appears to dump 3/4s of the flow which drops the speed to 1/4 when activated, so a 2 speed bender then, might be useful for creeping the last few degrees so as l dont overshoot ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    having worked out the dimensions based on the ram l had (not knowing it was bent) l was going to push on and use it anyway, the stroke is 708mm and the chances of finding another nearly the same were slim, wrong again :whistle:

just happened to chance across these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300628159642?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

exactly the same stroke and not bent :laughing:

so thats another £85 gone

but we are still well under what a manual bender would cost to buy

die £305
    ram £85
    valve £40
    hoses £85
    pump £40

so thats £555

plus any steel needed which l begged stole or borrowed

9. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    the hydraulic valve was was just a simple single spool valve spring loaded to centre in which position the pressure was returned to the tank

cost £39 and bought from
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310351018693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

l mounted this valve to a piece of flat plate that l welded to the frame uprights
    [​IMG]

nice convienent height to work by hand but had already decide it might as well be foot operated as well
    simple bit of bar on a pivot with 2 discs welded on for pedals
    [​IMG]

the pedal was then linked to the lever with a bit of 16mm tube so its hand or foot operated

[​IMG]

10. andyw Member

Manchester, UK
    Hi Andy,

Great work and you deffo got more toys than I thought lol, shame about the rams being bent, many moons ago I had the works manager plonk a ram on my welding bench It had a dinge in it, saying put a blob on that for me. I said what would happen but he said just doit!
    So I did and he went off in a huff cant think why.

Dont forget to pop home for your Christmas Dinner Andy

have a good one
    Andy

11. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    yah christmas day, bah humbug :o

switching rams caused a problem with the fixing pins, the original ram had 35mm holes in the end and this is what l drilled in the frame to hold the ram in,
    new ram had 24mm holes for the fixing pins wasent going to weld them up and redrill so l cut some 8mm thick discs with a 24mm centre hole,
    good job l have a ronco pocket laser

[​IMG]

l welded 1 inside and outside each leg to spread the load out a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new pump attached and a couple of shelves added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

time for paint then

12. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    well it was going to be blue or red as they were the only colours l could find under the bench

[​IMG]

4" roller and a 2" brush produces this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l did a few test bends with the straight arms as l have a little fettling to do with the curved ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. stuvy

stuvy Member

how tight onto the die does the 180deg bend sit andy? if the tube was alot longer would it be easy to feed the tube all the way out or just remove the pins and slide it out?

15. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hi Stuvy

it fits in snug while its bending but when you back the ram up the tube pops out easy enough, l did bend one test piece round to 220 degrees no problem, but then found l couldent get it off the die, what a donkey :laughing:

still lots to find out, l can bend a piece of 14g tube round a 5.5" clr die no problem but try it with 16g and it creases up on the inside, yet 16g will go round a 7" clr die no problem at all, wall thickness and radius are fussy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  16. stuvy

stuvy Member

have you tried a thin plate as an internal packer?

Hope yourself and the family have had a nice christmas too buddy

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  17. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hi

l dont see much hope in a packer doing anything, the tube is a very good fit in the die, the thing that stops the wall kinking is the wall thickness unless you are using a mandrel, the sharper your radius the more the tube wants to kink,
    for 1.6mm or 16g tube then 4 x the dia is about as tight as you are going to go with out kinking, 4 x D being 6" which is why my 7" clr works fine but the 5" clr die wants to crumple the inner edge, if l was to use a thicker wall say 2.5mm then it would fall to 3 x Dia or 4.5" clr dia with out any problems, which oddly enough if you looked up the spec for the pro tools dies is probably what they recommend, think l am happy to live with these limitations rather than attempt to build a mandrel bender :laughing:

Andy

18. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Some of the dies on our Baliegh are actually shaped to compress the tube slightly on the edges to compress the tube on the inside - takes more force to do it but it means you can get away with less deformation on thin wall tubes at the expense of more on thick walled stiff.

19. Baloo Member

Birmingham
  20. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Well, if you, make two would you ;)

Advertisements