Car based buggy

1. troppo Member

australia
    The only thing i can see wrong with the tank is it doesnt look right against the frame. The angles are all wrong, but that doesnt count for anything, as long as its insode the frame in case of a bad rollover i dont think its got anything wrong with it

2. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hi troppo

yes the angles being wrong are part of my dislike, might put this one on the shelf and make another smaller one, l can always make a bigger buggy to fit round this tank later :laughing:

will take a couple more pics and post em up

3. stuvy

stuvy Member

andy, youv been quiet of late. Whats your new project if your not on this one?

4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Apparently he was last seen, in a big hole :laughing:

5. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    Well ............................................. :laughing:

6. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hi stuvy

yes l seemed to have gone quiet,
    but l havent really, l needed to bend some tube for the rear bumper on the buggy, this was a problem because l had given my pipe kinker away :whistle:

anyway l thought it best to build one instead, l am just dicking around with the auto stop valve so l can do repeatable bends by just standing on the go pedal
    :laughing:

l can do 180 degree bends with no deformation of the tube, just got to ponce it up with some paint and its just about there

[​IMG]

the other thing that has been keeping me quiet is the layout of my next buggy, subaru wrx mechanicals in a skimpy frame :o

back soon
    Andy

7. stuvy

stuvy Member

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT?

Did i read that correctly? a 2.5ish? turbo lump in a 4x4 tube chassis?

Gonna pm you about the tube bender

8. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

How come you haven't posted the bender build up

9. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l will honest, l just need another week to finish and paint it

Andy

10. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    You can make a surprisingly usable draw bender out of an old tyre changing machine :D

Stuvy, there's another one like that about, non-turbo but he's supercharging it at the minute. You going back to comps Andy?

11. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    hi Philipm

l have no wish to compete compeitively, to old and to broke :laughing:
    l suffer with a back problem and l doubt it would take bouncing around offroad on a regular basis, besides you need deep pockets as stuff breaks repeatedly when you start racing hard and thought of having to fix it for next weekend dosent appeal to me much
    l like tinkering in the workshop really, working out how to build something is half the fun and building it the other half, using it and getting cold and wet .......... well l lose interest at that point these days, god knows what l am going to do with this buggy when its done, l cant see me wanting to drive round the streets in it lol another one to store in the shed :laughing:

having trouble making the subaru engine and box fit into my design at the moment, assuming the engine is going to be at the rear then l end up with too much sticking out the back, l want some thing like a honda pilot on steroids but with 2 seats, if you use what was the front driveshaft out puts to drive the rear wheels then you end up with the engine poking out the back like this

[​IMG]

whilst l can see why that isent a problem when you have sand dunes to run around in, in fact with a 2wd car its probably an advantage as it will promote lifting the front wheels which is the point when you will have maximum traction since all the weight must be on the rears if the fronts are off the ground, but l think this theory falls apart when you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle as lifting 2 of the drive wheels turns you in a 2wd vehicle and takes away the advantage of 4wd
    so the other option is to use the engine in the back but with it facing forward so as the engine is tight up behind the seats but again due to the length of the gearbox you have just as much rear overhang
    so plan C then
    have the engine at the rear but shuffled forward so as the crank pully is in line with the back of the tyres, the gearbox ( old front ) driveshft ports are now 12" to far forward to be any use in driving the rear wheels so l could disable those in much the same way as the drift boys do to make it rear drive only which is the front in my case, and then run the drive from the old rear out put into a lada transfer box which has a lockable diff in it as well as a low ratio of 2 to 1 along with a high of 1 to 1, from the transfer box 2 drive shafts can run to 2 chassis mounted subaru rear diffs one at each end,
    if l use an auto box out of a forester it should have its own selectable low ratio gear which is around 1.5 to 1, using the gear box with this selected will bring the diff ratios into the range that would make 30" or bigger much more usable, and then l have the transfer box low range on top of that to play with as well, only down side l can see is that the engine will have to be above the rear diff which will raise the c of g slightly but as its a flat four engine anyway it still wont be as high as say a honda vtec or golf vr6 etc
    sound simple when you say it fast dosent it :laughing:

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

lol sounds even simpler when i read it.

I might make my missus read it so she can build her own:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think with the auto box it saves ham fisted gear changes on bumpy ground. As theres enough cr engined buggys being built surely someone could host an endurance style race somewhere. Providing there safely built would be the issue as some are not as good as they could be!

13. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    How about running something like the old VW gear reduction units on the side of the 'box to move the outputs rearwards 4-5"?
    You'd have to swap the gears to a 1:1 pairing but you can get those off-the-shelf pretty cheap.

14. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    l have never has anything to do with vw's what are these reduction units, do you have any pics or links so l can swot up :laughing:

15. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Never used 'em myself, but I know they used to run them on the old aircooled VW buses - it was a step down box that sat on the end of the CV's wheel-side, dropped the gearing and allowed them more ground clearance without compromising the travel.

16. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    like a portal axle ?

17. stuvy

stuvy Member

18. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    ah drop boxes, l agree about the wisdom of putting the power of a subaru engine through those, and if it wasent 1 to 1 then l would have different ratios front and rear plus it would use up driveshft length which l need to get axle travel with out binding the cv's

been having a rumage on ebay, legacys seem the cheaper option, there are some versions with twin turbos that dont make to much money
    this one never even got to its reserve, 320 is a lot of ponies
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270871165312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

still not sure l can get it all to package the way l want, could do with an engine box and diffs to play with in the garage, if it wont fit in the space available l might have to re think and go back to either a honda vtec or golf vr6

19. stuvy

stuvy Member

20. stuvy

stuvy Member

Advertisements