Aluminium tig guide getting started.

1. I also never realised you can tap the trigger on the Parweld to reduce the current. Saw it happen once or twice when trying to downslope but thought it was something wrong or I hadn’t been forceful enough. The manual doesn’t even mention it (I think?).

Retired and Ruffian like this.
  2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Very handy feature and one I miss now I no longer have the XTT. My Mig also has this feature when in single pulse and I use it all the time.
    BTW the manual does mention it.

ScreenHunter 211.jpg

Retired and Ruffian like this.
  3. Haha, yeah I did find it when I went back to look. :D

Hood likes this.
  4. Following the advice from @Richard. Ihave now managed to spot weld 2 pieces of Ali together a few times but the finished fillet looks horrible, so no pics and lots of practice needed now. :D

Hood likes this.
  5. Hood

Keep practicing and one day you will be able to lay as nice a weld as I can :thumbup:

ScreenHunter_733 Apr. 23 16.53.jpg

6. Haha :D
    I’m almost there!

Retired and Hood like this.
  7. Hood

You just need to get a water cooled torch and you will manage that no problem, well as long as it has a leak :D

Hopefuldave, Retired and Exuptoy like this.
  8. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Hood and Exuptoy like this.
  9. Well considering I couldn’t tack anything except in error I managed this earlier. (Excuse the first inch where I was getting a feel for it!)
    I did manage to fill the 6mm hole you can see near the top too!

CE230EF0-2ACF-46E3-A299-319EA3976605.jpeg

Manage this run last night but fusing 2 pieces together looks nothing like this!

D99C3C51-306E-495B-9CC1-A96A19E2367D.jpeg

Cheesie, Retired and Hood like this.
  10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Tacs look great mate. We’re you putting them in nice and hot and fast.

Retired likes this.
  11. Yeah, trying. 2.6 mm plate worked out at 104A so I shut off the pre and post flow and set the slopes to 0 and increased the current to 150 then after I saw the start running away pulsed the trigger instead which worked.

12. Crazy how quick it can run away to a huge hole!

Retired likes this.
  13. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Never turn that off mate. You’ll badly contaminate both the electrode and the job.
    Down slope should have something on it too maybe a second to give you time to move the arc away from the tack before complete solidification. You get a crater on your tack it will almost always split. Check out my settings again.

Retired and Exuptoy like this.
  14. Hood

You need reactions like a cat :D

15. Ok, cheers for that. I might have left the post flow on a little thinking about it. Slopes were deffo off.

16. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I personally can’t do it with the slope down off. I end up with a good 50% of them cratered and 50% of them end up cracked. It’s not to say it can’t be done but my personal preference to get 100% spot on is to use a bit of slope on release.

17. Right then here’s my effort.

did the top side first, then the underside then went back and washed the upper weld to tidy things up. At least I’m getting a feel for it.

1DDE2E40-1E28-4728-9FE7-44539A18A678.jpeg

FA36F032-FD4C-42F1-868B-37844A2EDF95.jpeg

992BD399-974E-49A7-9021-0FF3215610CB.jpeg

Hopefuldave, Retired and Hood like this.
  18. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Get yourself a welding table of a sheet of steel, so you can get sat down, its far easier then being stood at the vice.

Retired likes this.
  19. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I see lots of rookies here.
    First one don’t scrub the plates
    Just take your time and clean them up with solvent. It’s a common misconception that people think they need to rip off the aluminium’s oxide layer and you really don’t. Let the process take care of that. I would never go anywhere near a customer’s product I was making with a wire brush.

Second your adding filler too soon before the pool has developed. I can see massive amounts of black nasty speckles particularly at the start where your filler has melted across the arc and blobbed on the metal dragging in alsorts of nastys. Get that pool well fluid before adding and make sure you hit the pool. Keep that arc tight.

your material isn’t helping. It’s pretty nasty stuff with all that black crud on it. It’s not even good enough to practice on. You can’t fix that with a wire brush. Get some nice clean sheet that still has the plastic on. Peel and weld.

once welded leave welded. You can’t smooth it over with the arc that’s just gonna over heat the joint and give you false impressions of what you can and can’t do. Aim to get it on the first hit because again you can’t run over a customers part incase you push the metallurgy to crack.

Dcal, mtt.tr, Retired and 3 others like this.
  20. I have a Bahco hydraulic stool so I’m actually sat at the bench with my foot up on the low shelf so I can rest the torch on my leg. You’re right though it is a lot easier.

Retired likes this.
Advertisements