911 with crusty sills

1. NedHan79 Member

Thanks. It’s keeping me out of mischief

Exuptoy likes this.
  2. NedHan79 Member

So things have been a little slow this week. I was at the beach last Sunday and got the tops of my feet burnt. One badly blistered and has since got infected. Not nice so I haven’t been doing much in the garage.
    I have been thinking though so made a few bits n pieces at work to make things easier. I had some scrap 10mm plate so I pressed some angles in them so I can hold them in the vice and shape random pieces I need for the repairs. I also got a bit of 42 pipe and a decorative solid ball for a gate and welded them together for another thing to shape over.

Got another few bits made at work for the rear jacking points. Folded and ready to trim to fit. The drawing is for cutting and folding the jacking points themselves to fit to the sections already made.

Not much done but it’s all progress

• CD054A96-1088-404A-A591-C818E6037055.jpeg
    • 724BA2CF-E98D-4ADD-8995-260AB75A9606.jpeg
    • 165606A6-6CEC-4DE1-A4D6-444F72227503.jpeg
    • EBED765C-6505-42FB-886D-28850776D979.jpeg
    • 0F54509A-BAF2-40A5-81CA-E695D6264C6A.jpeg
    optima21, ronan, eLuSiVeMiTe and 5 others like this.
  3. NedHan79 Member

Some advice needed on the next phase. I need to make up at fit the rear section of the sill and the wheel arch. The sill is already cut out and new bits just need to be tweaked to fit. Thing is, do I go ahead And fit them or do I cut the arch out first? I’m guessing sort the sill and then cut the arch out but part of me thinks cut the arch out now and fit it up first then fit the sill to suit.

I’m confused but more nervous as I don’t want to really cock it up.
    Am I allowed to say that

It’s just another thing to slow progress but the lack of experience is the killer.

• 88025226-B559-4C5A-953D-6598FF4884DC.jpeg
  4. Dcal Member

You've answered your own question.
    The more you cut out the more scope you have to err.
    Put the sill in and make it fit as perfect as you can then make the arch repair piece as perfect as you can to fit to the sill you've installed.
    You really want to leave as little wriggle room as possible if you want to keep everything as close to factory as possible.

slim_boy_fat and NedHan79 like this.
  5. NedHan79 Member

Aye, it’s the lack of experience that’s beating me. I’ll go with that and report back.

Thanks dcal

Exuptoy likes this.
  6. Same for me. Alternatively I f you really want to give yourself a fighting chance get the sill held in place with a few spots/clamps/clecos or anything else and if you need to you can then take it out if the interface between sill and arch is a complexed shape.

NedHan79 likes this.
  7. NedHan79 Member

I know what you mean exuptoy but I’d say I’m just over thinking it.
    I’ll maybe go ahead and sort the end of the sill and floor section, tack a rough piece into the bottom of the tub and then grow a set of balls and cut the arch out.
    I might hit YouTube for a few tips on the arch before I cut it

Exuptoy likes this.
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Whatever you do don't cut both arches out at the same time!!

When I did the Figaro project I made up some guides....very simple using some welding wire and screwed/slotted into whatever reference points I could find on the body....I used the guide wired to get the arch aligned and symmetrical both sides using bits of masking tape on the wires to mark the position of the arch/flange face. That got me the front back position and also dropping down got me the height.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/project-2-nissan-figaro.74791/page-23

Also nice work so far mate...I hacked all mine out then spent lots of time getting it aligned...but I had lots of chrome to deal with!

NedHan79 likes this.
  9. NedHan79 Member

Thanks for the tip. I haven’t touched the passenger side yet. I made a lot of the back of the inner sill and floor last night along with the bottom of the tub/ wheel well. I can clearly see now how to make the end of the outer sill. I clamped the old sill up as a reference to work to.
    All the bits need a little trim before final fit but are tacked in atm.
    Last night was one of those nights where things seem to fall into place and you can breath easy.
    I think when I’m doing the other side I’ll take a different approach to some things but there light at the end of the tunnel.
    And no, it’s not shining through the rust holes!!!

Exuptoy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. NedHan79 Member

Most of the outer sill is finally welded in. Just the rear 6 inches or so still to fit but I have a rough piece made. I won’t do any more until I figure out the arch scenario.

I might go ahead and cut the passenger side sill out and start to that. At least I have an idea of what to expect with it

• 5E204BAD-7DFE-4796-9052-4E3F3DB049A5.jpeg
    • E9BE1C89-E2F6-4373-8763-7E5567A41CA6.jpeg
    Exuptoy likes this.
  11. That was my reason for suggesting you fix the sill temporarily so you could finalise the inner arch and closing panel positions and shapes.

NedHan79 likes this.
  12. NedHan79 Member

Aye things are a bit clearer but I’m not gona cut the arch yet. I was off work today so I got a bit of the welding done on the drivers sill as in the picture above. Not the best job in the world but the skirt will cover it. definitely well enough fixed to go another 10 years. I cut the passenger side sill out. its in better shape so I don’t have just as much to butcher but I couldn’t be sure until I cut some out. I’ll definitely get it sorted in half the time as I know what I’m at now.
    I’ve very little room to move down that side of the car so that’s gona be fun dealing with that.
    All in all it’s moving along. Slow but still moving.

Exuptoy likes this.
  13. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

dobbslc, NedHan79 and ronan like this.
  14. NedHan79 Member

I’m not overly worried. Mines an early 3.4 so no real issues with bore score and it has the dual row bearing. Less known casualties. If it blows, it blows.

Rig Pig and stuvy like this.
  15. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

As far as I know the early engine is more prone to bore issues, however my 3.6 has disgraced it's self too... luckily just before I bought it.

NedHan79 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. NedHan79 Member

It’s like a lottery with them. I think if it let’s go after I’ve gone to the bother of all this and paint etc, I’ll maybe go the Chevy v8 route. I wouldn’t be bothered spending a fortune building a thing that will never be quick. But if it holds together then brilliant. They are a nice toy and I’ve always wanted one but the performance isn’t up to much by modern standards and mines only a glorified go-kart but I love that. There’s no way I could live with it everyday

stuvy and Rig Pig like this.
  17. stuvy

stuvy Member

I had a coupe Quattro mb and was gutted with how it performed

Sounded great when you wound it up

NedHan79 likes this.
  18. NedHan79 Member

Which one was the mb?
    Had friends that are Quattro mad. They built a few swb’s

19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

20. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

How so? :dontknow:

I remember visiting friends and a garage just along the road had a red UR job on the forecourt.
    We went for a look and I was showing a genuine interest when my pal said "Just walk away". When I asked why, his reply was "....You'll just kill yourself with it". He may well have been right. :whistle: :D

Advertisements