911 with crusty sills

1. stuvy

stuvy Member

The air cooled cars were from the us

The two water cooled cars one from Portugal was a 993 the other one was a 996 and was a uk car that needed its exhaust changing due to blowing. What a sod if a job that turned out to be so much stuff had to come off to take the exhaust out it ended having the engine dropped as two bolts broke on the headers

The earlier cars were fairly solid but the Portuguese one was hit hard by the salty air and was really bad underneath

500e and NedHan79 like this.
  2. CompoSimmonite Member

Are the sills the same then as a Boxster ? If so what about cutting replacement sections out of a rot free write off ?

NedHan79 likes this.
  3. NedHan79 Member

I’ve been trying to find out but as far as I can see, no. The 2 cars are the same from the a pillar forward but that’s it apart from interior and and mechanical bits afaik

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

Tape measure and have a look will be your best bet

5. daedalusminos Member

Porsche will probably only supply factory panels as used during production, but just because it includes the quarter panel, doesn't mean you have to use all of it.....though it's likely to be an expensive solution.

Have you tried 3rd party manufacturers for repair panels? I find it hard to believe such a popular car does not have 3rd party support for repair panels. Fit will not be optimum but probably a better solution than hand making.

NedHan79, ronan, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  6. NedHan79 Member

I can’t seem to find any available. Been looking for a while with no joy. Earlier cars have a variety of choice but not mine yet though I’d say because it was a popular model that’ll change. The rust is only beginning to show as the cars were galvanised and held it off rightly until now.

7. Dcal Member

Why does everyone seem to be so against the OP making the repair panels himself?
    He has access to the kit to make them which is a great start.

One of the problem with bought in panels is you are inclined to install the full piece even if it only needs a small bit.

I know nothing about 911s and unless the sills are double curved I can't see a problem. (double curve wouldn't be the end of the world either)

If I had to rely on new or bought in repair panels for my alfa project. I would have had to scrap it. (There is nothing available)
    It's certainly not quick but is probably a better job as you are making something to fit your particular application.

NedHan79 likes this.
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Some believe that only replacing a complete panel is a "proper job" ....anything else is a botch.
    Others believe that as much originality should be preserved as possible....so we should only cut off bits that are absolutely necessary (either rotten or in the way of rotten bits!)

I'm in the second camp .....but I can see both points are valid...there is room for both I think in the world of hobby restorations!

Having owned a SIP Migmate in the past I have to say I would not want another one...currently welder is a Kemppi MinArc mig and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    NedHan79 likes this.
  9. daedalusminos Member

I'm not against it at all especially if that's the only option.
    My point was explore all options first and determine the current supply situation. Owner's clubs and their forums are a good place to start.

Regarding replacing whole panels or patch IMO depends on panel condition....is it worth welding in 6 patches on a panel and then still need to spend several hours de-rusting? In that case I'd replace the whole panel. If it's a patch or two on a very solid panel then patching would be the way to go for me.

It's worth considering cost of repair panels - a GT6/Spitfire sill strengthener is essentially a flat piece of steel approx 1m long, 15cm deep with the edges bent at a slight angle, a joddle set on one end and several 20mm holes. A fairly easy fabrication job from 1mm steel but the repair panel only costs £12 and for me it's a no-brainer.

NedHan79 likes this.
  10. Dcal Member

Fair enough but I thought he only needed a simple repair piece.
    No doubt he will need more when he gets the slitting discs out.

I agree there does come a point when it's time to give up, but I'd no option on mine if I wanted to get it back on the road.
    The DS inner guard needed 12 patches and not one was straight forward.
    I would have loved to have got inner guards but just not available.

I did find the process quite therapeutic though but I'm probably just odd.

11. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Its not all doom and gloom, plenty of rust free tail happy 911`s that have been wrapped around a lamposts and there are breakers out there that will cut out/flog big lumps of body shell for not much money. Worth scouring the breakers before trying to make some of these panels, may take a while to unpick spot welds etc but would be a cheaper option.Just thoughts.

Bob

Rig Pig, 500e, NedHan79 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    NedHan79 likes this.
  13. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
  14. NedHan79 Member

Thanks for all the replies.

The repair panels are pricey. It’s not that I can’t afford them, as said by someone else above, I just don’t need them.

I want to use this as a learning curve. I have a lot of other jobs done and a lot more to do. I’ll have to drop the engine and box to do a brake pipe for example. I’ll do the clutch and a few oil seals at the same time.
    I also plan to reseal most of the chassis and possibly paint it.

Been doing a bit more tonight. With a piece of the sill removed I can see up the inside of the quarter panel. It looks very nice and tidy though I need to fix the rear of the sill to the wheel well.

Random thing is, the quarter panel is coming away from the inner piece. It seems to have been bonded together. The lip itself on both panels isn’t great. Would be easy to fill over as it’s not bad but I’d rather it was right.
    I could probably make the lips easy enough at work but it’s getting the round edge I’d have trouble with. It’d be easy to roll a piece of steel to the shape of the arch.
    I might just be over thinking it as I want to sort the sills first.

More work than I thought.lol

15. NedHan79 Member

ronan and stuvy like this.
  16. NedHan79 Member

I’ve made some progress, albeit very slow but progress none the less. I made some inner sill sections and tacked them in. I painted the inside of them with etch primer along with anything else that won’t see daylight when the jobs done. After a proper clean up of course.
    I then continued to cut out the front section and start to some of the repair work.
    Not much farther on than that but times tight so I do what I can, when I can

• 9D83B044-0CAF-4F24-8F8C-2286051BB436.jpeg
    • FFACCF3B-DC46-45ED-BBDE-03462A6DB9C1.jpeg
    Rig Pig, Burdekin, ronan and 8 others like this.
  17. NedHan79 Member

A little more done. Gave round the rear arches a good clean and have decided to cut them out and go for fresh metal. They aren’t that bad but I may as well sort them now.

Had a go at making the arch tonight and I’m very happy with it. It’ll need a little tweeking but it’s a very good fit.
    All in all a big weight off my mind as I’ve never made anything like that before and as I said before, they only way to buy arches is by buying the full quarter panel.

• 413C3C59-8796-4410-8478-C83373B12BDB.png
    Rig Pig, galooph, ronan and 2 others like this.
  18. stuvy

stuvy Member

Looks good for a beetle

NedHan79 likes this.
  19. NedHan79 Member

Growing up my friend was a 911 nut. I used to love hitting him with the beetle line.

stuvy likes this.
  20. Nice work!

NedHan79 likes this.
Advertisements